Which Box With Component Output

There are 8 replies in this Thread which was already clicked 550 times. The last Post () by Celtic67.

• I've posted something in the general Which Receiver Would You Recommend forum, but I wonder if it would be better asked here as I don't really want to start looking at Dreamboxes, etc.

I want to get a 2nd box that has component RGB output, a softcam emulator & a reasonable channel list. I setup Eagleboxes for a few people a couple of years ago & the channel list was awful, so something that I can edit on a PC or just download would be better.

I've found the Openbox/***box systems and some look they'd do the trick, but there seem to be quite a few different models with very little obvious real difference. The main ones that I've been looking at are the S9, F3, F3S, and X5. Any suggestions on which I should go for? They all seem similar price, but are there any to avoid, prone to freezing, PSU/tuner failure, any that have better picture quality, better remote, that kind of thing?

• Thanks again.

Any Openbox owners able to offer any opinions to improve on the information that I've already gathered by using Google? Info that made me fairly sure that one of these £50 boxes will do what I need and I'll have £100 that I can spend on something else that I need.

• Sorry, you've lost me slightly there, and sorry I was a bit short earlier, I woke up with a hangover.

I did look at converters to do HDMI to component, but they start at £20 and I've no idea whether the quality is worth it as they have to have a circuit that converts the digital signal to analogue. The cheap cables don't do A to D. Similarly, the TV has VGA input, but as it doesn't have an HDMI input, there's almost certainly no circuitry in it to deal with a digital signal, so an HDMI to VGA cable won't work either.

I don't already have an Openbox, just a DM800HD. I did mention Eagleboxes in the other thread, but they were for folk in Spain, not easy for me to get one to try. Besides, though I could cope with the horrible menu system, the channel editing was hopeless & I spent too long moving channels around. The Openbox looked good as channel lists can be downloaded.

As good as the DM800 is too, visitors tend to struggle with it and give up. As this is for a spare room, I thought something very basic would be easier.

• if you look at how many threads there are with problems in openbox section compared to problems with say the low end Vu+boxes orthe gigalblue you will get a better idea..
    Best idea yet is to look at sponsor´s site and see which offer(s) you can save up for while you sell on the dm800..
    Just my two cents worth..
    As you know from your previous experience you know that you get what you pay for.....

• Ok sorry i was under the impression you had one already but needed one to suit the tv inputs with component s9 to me looks your best option ,but if it wasnt simplicity you were after I would still say an enigma 2 box with vix on it would be your best option and is still simple to be honest using normal functions anyone who cant work one should not be putting a tv on at all there isnt anything you can get in a confused state without forcing yourself into it , hope you find a suitable box

Steve

• I did look at converters to do HDMI to component, but they start at £20 and I've no idea whether the quality is worth it as they have to have a circuit that converts the digital signal to analogue. The cheap cables don't do A to D. Similarly, the TV has VGA input, but as it doesn't have an HDMI input, there's almost certainly no circuitry in it to deal with a digital signal, so an HDMI to VGA cable won't work either.

Answered your own question here mate as you will have to spend in the region of around £20 _£50 for a decent hdmi to vga convertor(not hdmi to component) hdmi to vga will work if you spend£££ on the correct unit.... however as you have acknowledged via google, audio will not transfer so you would also have to use the standard right/left audio output too and also selecting pc possibly on the tv...going down the false economy path here tho considering the price of these cheap openboxes and of course extra parts.

I don't already have an Openbox, just a DM800HD. I did mention Eagleboxes in the other thread, but they were for folk in Spain, not easy for me to get one to try. Besides, though I could cope with the horrible menu system, the channel editing was hopeless & I spent too long moving channels around. The Openbox looked good as channel lists can be downloaded.

As good as the DM800 is too, visitors tend to struggle with it and give up. As this is for a spare room, I thought something very basic would be easier.

Eagleboxes///same as dm500 as far as i am aware so they will take the commando image with autobouquets built in !

Dm800//if its the first generation then they are not great but they are on the e2 platform with autobouquets options and easy to use dependant on software of choice i suppose.. both your eagle box and the dm800 are better boxes than the openbox cheap range even if your eaglebox is standard definition.

Take the advice and buy an e2 box that has component outputs///in my opinion your only other option is a new tele haha..

• Upgrading my old DM800 is probably long overdue but there seem to be a few noises that sharing might not be around for too much longer so buying a nicer box for FTA doesn't make too much sense at the moment.

In fact, if all was looking fairly stable, I'd probably get an SE for the main box and move the DM800HD upstairs. Then I'd be looking for a cable to connect from DVI to component and probably need to run audio from the SCART. The sound doesn't need to be better than standard stereo, as a backup box it isn't connecting to any surround equipment.

I do understand the point about the E2 images being easy to use, but this isn't aimed at someone who'd use it daily. I have a few people babysit, I write them instructions, go through it all with them, get back from a night out & find them watching Freeview cos they got confused.

I really do understand that an E2 box is far better, it's just that it would be overkill for the situation.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!