prime focus dish and feedhorn information

There are 6 replies in this Thread which was already clicked 662 times. The last Post () by TK4|2|1.

• Hi can any one give me some advise please.
    i have a caravan with 0 tv reception the van is in a wooded valley also no 3g signal so no streaming.(This is in plymouth uk)
    with 100ft trees and hillside =125ft to the southern *** , i would like to use a prime focus dish and feedhorn reason i am 85 ft back from the trees and hillside,
    Would i get a better chance of picking up the *** signal at28.5 degrees with with the direct signal into the feedhorn with the dishes greater angle as apposed to the flatter fitting offset dish??
    Thank you great site jack

• You would think so !

I think The elevation angle of the beam is about 21 degrees ¬ Quiet Low on the uk Horizon !
    Can you borrow a prime focus before commiting to buy one ?

You could experiment 1st if you have a meter ?

78cm dish on tm2300 metal gear motor + 1m Orb with tm2300 + 1.8m Channel Master on H-H floor mount + 80cm ISS with TM2300 AND Inverto Black LNB,inverto Unicable QUDL 42 LNB,- Global invacom Dscc LNB,- Triax KA LNB, - Yuri LNBF C Band YLF-CDP16C

• You would think so !

I think The elevation angle of the beam is about 21 degrees ¬ Quiet Low on the uk Horizon !
    Can you borrow a prime focus before commiting to buy one ?

You could experiment 1st if you have a meter ?

No excess to a dish but will borrow a meter thanks for the reply a advise .
    Regards Jack

• Official Post

The signal comes down at the same angle from the satellite. 24.7 degrees for Plymouth. The reflected signal to LNB is different. It won't make a difference which dish you use.

You will have to use trigonometry to estimate if you can receive signal or use app on phone.
    Tan X = opp/adj

At 85 feet away, the maximum height of any obstructions is 39 feet

• Well not everyone has a prime focus dish in their back pocket for testing but as said a normal dish and meter is what you need to establish if you actually have a clear line of sight and a 3 meter prime focus will be of no value if you are slap bang into a mountain or forest.

I have even found myself installing dishes on trees to gain more height but i would not try that one at home for safety reasons or in caravan parks etc...the installs i done when i found myself in a similar situation was on private land so i had permission.

MK

General Satellite & Installation Support Forum

Support for LNBs, Single satellite, motorised and multi-satellite systems. DiSEqC switches, positioners, motors, actuators, dish-alignment help.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!