Where does a Newbie go?

There are 31 replies in this Thread which was already clicked 2,009 times. The last Post () by glenviewjf.

• Hi guys, new on the forum. Can't help getting excited about that!

Is there a section of the forum for Newbies to ask the most basic of Q's without them getting in the way of advanced users' enquiries?

Just to put you in the picture I have a DM500s clone (Blackbox 500) on a motorised system quite happily getting FTA. I obtained an old sly box c/w white card from Ebay yonks ago. I don't have a need for sharing locally and no mates of family who own DMs or otherwise to learn from/test things out without cocking up!

I would like to know simply how to get started. Havent yet got a grasp of the obvious yet. All threads seem to start from an intermediate point. Don't know which image/emulator/card reader etc recommended (or even if I need all of them). Have used OpenPLi image and tried cccam + oscam but already out of my depth I think with too many assumptions in my head.

I think I need to find out the essential steps to building up a good system, how to test it, then learning the fundamentals about contributing to cs??

Any simple starting pointers would be just great.

Best regards
    Hump

• Official Post

Welcome to the forum humphrey, we can use this thread to start building your knowledge on the basics, then unleash yourself on the rest of the forum lol.

From what you are saying you already have openpli and the necessary emulators installed, this is a good start.

So lets try to get your DM500 working as a server, at the moment it will work as a client (you dont need to open any ports within your router to acheive this).

You need to setup a hostname at dyndns.com How to create a dyndns account VIDEO

There are a few things that need setup in the router, set the dm500 a static ip address and open a port for this ip address so people can access your server online. You should also be able to add your dyndns hostname account details in your router, this informs your clients of any changes the isp has made to your external ip address. Look for your router make & model here Port Forwarding Guides Listed by Manufacturer and Model - PortForward.com

Get this part out of the way and you are half way there, here is a good tutorial to get you started.

Getting Started - Flines & Clines For Beginners

Any problems and let us know buddy..

• Thanks both for the very warm welcome, it's very friendly here isn't it?

Thanks master G for the very positive help! I've managed to setup a dyndns account and also my router to keep the hostname's IP address up to date.

Before I work through port forwarding, could I ask some more basic Q's? Namely they are as follows:-

The sly card is over 12 moths old (second-hand). Is it of any use or is it only fit for the bin now? I've never been able to find this out when browsing other forums. And if it's no good, does this stop me setting up the DM500 as a server?

Secondly, do you think it would be wise if I start from scratch re: dreambox firmware and add-ons. I don't even remember what version of Open PLi it uses (is there a way of checking?) and I've messed around with it so much that I ought to flash erase and put on the basic software again. If so, could you suggest which image to start with (what are all those PLI betas for anyway? How do you tell what is what?). Also, which version of CCcam emulator should I put on? Which version of Oscam emulator? In fact why do I need two emulators? I'd be interested to find out.

Thanks once again for taking the time to help out, this info really is like gold dust to me!

Oh and ps thanks for the link to the dyndns video - but how did you find it? When I browse the cardhsaring tutorials, I can't seem to see posts further back than October 2010!!

• Official Post

The sly card is over 12 moths old (second-hand). Is it of any use or is it only fit for the bin now? I've never been able to find this out when browsing other forums. And if it's no good, does this stop me setting up the DM500 as a server?

If theres no active channels working on it then it wont be worth sharing, it wont stop you setting up a server as there are very friendly people out there who dont mind sharing with you without anything in return. This is how most people get started, it will take you alot longer to find what you are looking for compared to having something that everyone wants.

Secondly, do you think it would be wise if I start from scratch re: dreambox firmware and add-ons. I don't even remember what version of Open PLi it uses (is there a way of checking?) and I've messed around with it so much that I ought to flash erase and put on the basic software again. If so, could you suggest which image to start with (what are all those PLI betas for anyway? How do you tell what is what?). Also, which version of CCcam emulator should I put on? Which version of Oscam emulator? In fact why do I need two emulators? I'd be interested to find out.

This image Open PLI Oscam & CCcam 2.1.3 Sly UK Ready has everything you will need. The reason for the two emulators is that CCcam alone isnt that great as a cardreader compared to oscam. Thats why most people who have been used to CCcam use oscam as cardreader and CCcam2.1.3 to control their server. Although oscam combines all protocols so if you learn it theres no need for CCcam at all.

Oh and ps thanks for the link to the dyndns video - but how did you find it? When I browse the cardhsaring tutorials, I can't seem to see posts further back than October 2010!!

This is my playground so i know where everything is lol

We were only born in October 2010 mate so that's why ;)

Doh! Silly me.

Right, I have setup a dynds account in accordance with http://linuxsat-support.com/ca…nes-clines-beginners.html, port forwarded the server port specified in CCcam.cfg via my router settings, flashed an image and cams using http://linuxsat-support.com/dm…m-2-1-3-sly-uk-ready.html and changed the default port & passwords in accordance with CS Tips & Advice.

The above links are very clear and helpful (gracias), and if anyone new on the forum is in a similar position to me and wants to know any specific details on what I did (in conjunction with the excellent guides) from a newbie's perspective (i.e., me) then please don't hesitate to ask - cheers.

Of course having set things up as I think they should be, I still haven't actually proven anything meaningful yet, or at least I don't think so lol.

How do I proceed from here please kind people?

• Right have you downloaded the dyndns updater on your laptop and filled in your dns details?

Or put your dns details in your router??

• Go to the site..

Check your services..

And make sure that beside your dns the active box is ticked..

Try downloading the dns updater client!

Might work better!

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!