Which nas? Transcoding?

There are 4 replies in this Thread which was already clicked 803 times. The last Post () by tommyt.

• If i hook a nas up to my alien 2, would it have to be capable of running plex server? Or is it possible to acces the nas's file system through the A2's media player (like i access my current hdd)? Presumably the A2 isn't powerful enough to do its own transcoding? Finally can anyone recommend a budget nas that would fit the bill? Thanks.

• been using plex for a while and i have an alien2

problem is you need something thats on 24/7

a couple of options a nas server only a few can transcode (you a few 1000 bucks lying around)

buy a cheap pc and just have plex on that

plug a usb drive into a modem/router set it to samba

install samba on the alien2

buy a cheap nas drive and plug into the ethernet

now iv tried the samba on the alien2 and it doesnt work that good and you cant stream .ts files so good either you still need your pc on

in fact all need pc unless you go the dedicated server route

at the mo i have the laptop with plex accessing my hard drive and the usb drive on my router cheapest best option for me

what is your budget?

• Thanks for setting me straight. You saved me from a disappointing purchase.

My budget is low 100s, not 1,000s.

I'm mainly going to use the extra storage to keep kid's movies and TV shows. During the day we tend to watch short but frequent bursts of TV, so ideally I'd like an "always on" solution (like a Nas).

I already own a Mac mini, and I use it to run plex server to the Alien 2. Mac is now completely full. I was hoping to centralise all the TV content, and some backup stuff too, onto a Nas, and run everything from there.

What do you think of Nas's that come with HDMI out (ASUSTOR AS-202TE for £200)? They are intended to run XBMC direct to your TV. What are the limitations of XBMC as opposed to the Alien's buit-in media player? It's got to be better, right?

I think the ASUSTOR AS-202TE supports TS files.

Regarding transcoding - the movies/TV shows we watch are either downloaded in HD or recorded off the TV, then played on a 1080p TV, so I'm not sure I need a whole lot of transcoding.

Cheers.

Spark STI 7162 Support

Support for Amiko Alien 2, Delta, Dynavision 7162, Galaxy Innovations Avatar 2, Galaxy Innovations Avatar 3, Golden Media Spark Triplex, Golden Media Spark One, Icecrypt S3700 CHD, SAB Unix Triple HD, Samsat Linux 2, Satcom 7162, Sogno Spark Triple, Startrack SRT 2020 HD Plus, Superbox Z500, Truman TOP-BOX, Truman TopBox 2 Tuner, Visionnet Falcon, Spark STI 7162 Receivers.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!