Future Proofing

There are 7 replies in this Thread which was already clicked 858 times. The last Post () by ekkostar.

• Hi All,

this may have been asked elsewhere on the Forum, so apologies if so.

With S*y now only giving us SD channels and other options available with IPTV and Cable. I guess my question is ''what box is best suited to to our needs and is somewhat furutre proofing?'' i know nothing is forever, but it would be nice to spend money the once and enhance what you have.

open to suggestions, please give me your reasons for your selection:

High - Low end boxes.

thanks
    Taybz

• Very good question
    Especially for us un-educated!

• there has been whimpers of a so called enigma 3 system in the works " could be a myth, who knows ",,,,,,,,..........your best bet would be to sit tight for a while and see what happens.......the fact that *** has blocked the hd channels means nothing,,,,,,,how many other providers are still available through out europe??? loads of channels still available with a motorised system,,,,,, as for boxes there are hundreds of options out there all basicly doing the same thing,,,,,future proofing is not an option, as no one knows what tomorrow will bring in the world of sat tv,,,,,i do a lot of viewing now on a matricom mx2 running android with apps like showbox and xbmx which provide plenty of entertainment for the whole family,there is and always will be other options out there to explore..................if you want something to fill the gap for a while get a spiderbox 6000 which you can get from the forum sponsor well worth the money but will require a motorised dish to unleash it,s full potential.

• If and when Enigma 3 does materialize dont expect it to be instantly running on every receiver, as it will likely only work on DMM hardware, hardware that is likely not even available at this moment in time. Then there is the fact the DMM hardware is vastly overpriced for what they offer, so dont hold out for some mythical magical fix with Enigma 3.

OpenViX on Twitter @0penViX

• I guess my question is ''what box is best suited to to our needs and is somewhat furutre proofing?'' i know nothing is forever, but it would be nice to spend money the once and enhance what you have.

Satellite is a cutting edge moving field, so the hope of one box fits all will always be a little forlorn. Receivers are also a very personal choice so you cannot really advise people what to buy.

If you're an enthusiast you will normally want to buy the very best you can. This is and always has been true.

If you simply want to watch TV on the cheap then buy the cheapest you can. Personally I'm not an advocate of cheap and nasty.

If you want to start enjoying the hobby then a low end linux box can be a good introduction. In truth there is nothing low end with many linux boxes sat or around the £100 mark. They have ample ability and that is seemingly where the 'value' is at the moment.

Either way there are plenty of receivers to suit most needs and choose from.

I wouldn't touch the receivers sat in no mans land right now though. Best to stay clear.

There's a lot gong on behind the scenes in the satellite field at the moment so perhaps it might be a wiser thing to wait until the end of the year......

Edited 8 times, last by ekkostar ().

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!