Bad broadband area dual server setup?

There are 8 replies in this Thread which was already clicked 390 times. The last Post () by Bean.

• Hi Guys,

Where we are our broadband is crap. With our landline provider we would have 10MB during the day but come 7 - 10 in the evening I have seen this drop to .9 They are saying maybe if we are lucky this will improve in 12 to 18 months. If we are lucky!!

I have recently also put in a satellite broadband connection constant 10MB, in and was considering running the two side by side thereby hopefully dramatically reducing the risk of freezing. At the times mentioned above we are experiencing some freezing issues which is most annoying.

Has anyone ever set this up using 2 lines? I have another server so I was thinking of setting this one up and connecting it to the satellite broadband connection. I only have one card using an omnikey reader so is it possible to split this to each server using usb splitter?

Maybe this is completely the wrong way to do this so any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Bean

Edited 2 times, last by Bean ().

• Official Post

You shouldn`t be experiencing any issues at all with a 10 mb land line broadband, unless you are downloading or other devices are using the bandwidth.

I know of people who run stable servers on a 2 mb connection.. A client only needs around 512 kb for stable viewing..

Forget the satellite broadband, the ping time it takes to travel between you, the satellite to your peer is too large to be stable..

• If they could give me a constant 10MB it would be loads but in the evenings it just dies a death.

I have tested the other connection and it gives a ping of 24ms download of 9.73MB and upload of 2.5

It uses a transmitter on the roof and bounces to local masts. Is this satellite broadband?

• Sorry that's what I have. Do the ping and speeds look ok?

What I have done at the moment is everything in my house runs off the fixed wireless broadband and the ubuntu server runs with my landline provider on it's own. This seems to have improved things a bit but still worried about the 7 - 10 in the evening when the landline broadband drops to 1MB

• Speeds are more than ample.
    Must have high line contention to say it drops off that much in the evenings.
    You could try complaining to your isp or even change them if you get no satisfaction.

• You could work out roughly how much data you send, and receive via your peers could 3G and when its available 4G not be an option.

I am not obligated, or connected to any particular brand, seller or retailer so any opinions given are not biased in anyway.
    Any information given is for hobby and research purposes only, and whilst every effort is made to ensure that all my responses are accurate, - Any action you may take based on my replies is done so at your own risk.
    Viewing Premium Channels or Media, without paying for them is illegal and if you do so, you do so at your own risk!

BpGgW.jpg

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!