VU+ solo se or solo2?

There are 13 replies in this Thread which was already clicked 4,179 times. The last Post () by cabo99.

• Hi Guys,

Having just sold my miraclebox premium mini hd I am in the market for a new receive. On paper the vu+ se is exactly the same as the solo2 other than the solo2 has a vfd, twin tuners and the ccapability to add an internal hard drive. For the price differenceiof almost £100.00 Ican not justify sspending the extra money. Thosefeatures are not so important for me anyhow.

Now which would you recommend? Are there any other differences that iI may be missing?

Or would you guys completely recommend another box?

I also wanted to ask if I did go with the solo se which image would the best to use? Blackhole or oopenvix?

Many thanks for all your advice.

• Well I suppose it's all down to personal preference.I have had my Solo2 for nearly a year now and it has been absolutely brilliant!Loads of support from all the image teams and loads of plugins that make it a first class media box.I have mine connected to a motorised dish and a fixed dish on 28 east so my viewing/recording options are greater and I find easier to use.As for the price well I bought mine from the forum sponsor when they were £300 but now you'll find they have dropped in price so the difference between the Solo2 price and Solo se is only about £60/£70.I know you say you're not bothered about the extra bits (twin tuners etc)but for that little bit extra who knows?You might find they come in handy and make your satellite experience that little bit better.As for images I am using Black Hole at the minute which I find really good for ease of use but i sometimes put Fraggle121 and Chababus virgin media skin on which is Openpli because it looks great!!Hope that helps you a bit.

• Been using a solo2 with vix/bh for well over a year and am very happy with it.
    Extra tuner is handy and the ability to add a usb dvb-t tuner for saorview alongside a usb for epg/picons with an internal 500gb hdd is a major plus.
    VFD is also a nice feature.
    I think it is worth the extra ££
    That said, i don't have a solo se though.

• Thank you so much for your response guys. However for some reason I believe the sensible thing to do would be to go for the solo se as it's 70 quid cheaper. Do you guys know if mgcamd or cccam are supported on this model and if they are please any advice in which website to get tutorial or help from.. Many thanks

• I have 2 solo2 boxes and can't fault them 1 bit, they have superfast processors and 194 mb of flash also 2 tuners and space for an internal hdd. No contest if you ask me

Thank you for your prompt response. How do the solo2 compare with the Technomate tm nano 2 super which seems to be the exact same specs for £179? Also which image do you use for the solo2? Thanks

• you would be better being VIP. this is a recommendation from experience.
    I always use blackhole on my solo2. I think its the most stable. I hate vix, I can never get the epg to work and I don't like the way the image is constructed

• The Solo2 is a better established machine and the Solo SE is not really comparable.

Unfortunately, the Solo SE seems to have missed more than a trick or two and this satellite market is somewhat unforgiving. The network speed is comparatively slow, external HDD and tuner flexibility not as it seems and there's a common complaint that it is far too expensive/over priced for what it is.

If you want bang for your buck then Technomate have launched the TM-Nano 3T which is perhaps worth looking at?

Spec wise it probably wipes the floor with the SE. You get the 1.3GHZ processor, gigabit LAN, internal HDD, VFD and it is 2 x DVB-S2 and 1x DVB-T2. The current going rate is under £200 and that marginalises machines like the disappointing Solo SE even further.

Edited 2 times, last by ekkostar ().

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!