Box Recommendation

There are 28 replies in this Thread which was already clicked 3,234 times. The last Post () by daveyboy.

• Hi guys,

My mother lives in another part of the country and I want to get her a simple box that I can share a few Sly channels with her.

Considering shes elderly and not to up to date on technology can anyone recommend a box with image that;

1. Is easy to update channel list herself(as I am a 5 hour round trip)
    2. Cheap

Thanks

• 1. Is easy to update channel list herself(as I am a 5 hour round trip= When you set her up all you do is open ports on the router and static the box ip so you can update the list for her remotely with Dreambox edit for example.
    2. Cheap= imo dont do cheap its your gran she's worth more ! And cheap = headaches, Get her a tried and tested VU+ box they're solid and older models represent good value and few headaches >

Thanks

:rikjaard2:

78cm dish on tm2300 metal gear motor + 1m Orb with tm2300 + 1.8m Channel Master on H-H floor mount + 80cm ISS with TM2300 AND Inverto Black LNB,inverto Unicable QUDL 42 LNB,- Global invacom Dscc LNB,- Triax KA LNB, - Yuri LNBF C Band YLF-CDP16C

• When you set her up all you do is open ports on the router and static the box ip so you can update the list for her remotely with Dreambox edit for example

Any guides on how to do the above??

- - - Updated - - -

Amiko Micro HD SE :thumb: channel list updates available from Lavatronics via FTP using your remote control

Thanks, the amiko looks a nice box, whats the story with images for it? or is it a standard one?

And the channel updates, are they in our usual format of entertainment, movies etc

• Probably would be useful if we had a little bit mor info to be honest.
    Is it solely for satellite or would she like terrestrial stations also?
    What does the budget stretch to?
    What type of internet (speed wise / if any) does she have as this is a must have, if you intend on sharing.
    Does she like recording a bit (twin tuner or single)
    Better off to cover all bases as then your purchase will meet all your (your mother's) needs.

• Is it solely for satellite or would she like terrestrial stations also? Satellite
    What does the budget stretch to? €100 I'm buying for Christmas lol
    What type of internet (speed wise / if any) does she have as this is a must have, if you intend on sharing. She has good internet
    Does she like recording a bit (twin tuner or single) No recording

See above....... :thumb:

• medialink from the sponsor it will update epg and channels lists its self stay away from amiko rubbish this box and vix in it job done and you can sort it over the internet at worst open a port on her router for openwebif and ftp just make a root password

Listen to Steve _ Stay away from that amiko stuff and the aforementioned supplier > my opinion only :rikjaard1:

78cm dish on tm2300 metal gear motor + 1m Orb with tm2300 + 1.8m Channel Master on H-H floor mount + 80cm ISS with TM2300 AND Inverto Black LNB,inverto Unicable QUDL 42 LNB,- Global invacom Dscc LNB,- Triax KA LNB, - Yuri LNBF C Band YLF-CDP16C

• Amiko Micro HD SE :thumb: channel list updates available from Lavatronics via FTP using your remote control

I know you mean well buddy but please adhere to the forum rules......

<7> No links are to be posted to other commercial satellite retailers other than our site sponsors.

fI7WHhv.png

Please click on the "Like" :thumbup: button if you find the information and support posted on the forum helpful.

• Amiko is cheap but it's not that rubbish. I started on this about a month ago and where it took me the best part of a day to set up me mum and dad's dream box the amiko mini hd se took 30 mins start to finish. You download an emu file, flash it from USB to put the updated image with cccam support. If you go for the mini hd se it also has a big2small app which is by no means a real sat>ip server but it's again very easy to use. Basically set the amiko up downstairs buy an android stb for £40 on amazon for the bedroom and she can divert the tv up there with two clicks. They are cheap though. And a well set up enigma 2 box would poo all over it, but it is easy. I've bought a tbs 6981 tv card to turn an old PC into an iptv server so I can do more than the amiko can but this is only because I have a family who want telly in different rooms. If I was on my own the amiko would of been fine. They do a dual boot box called the a3 which has xbmc on it as well which looks interesting.

Stay away from PC Cards though as it stands for me they are certainly not simple.

Also if you do go for a mini and use big2small you can only have a channel list of about 3 hundred any more and the android app says "scan channels into the set top box" when you try it even though you have 2000 in your channel list. Like I said cheap

• Everyone has an opinion but put to a vote the majority of this site would go with an e2 box ,reliable self maintained and well supported its what Id get my parents ,make a backup on a flash drive they cant go wrong even with a silly mistake you can restore it in 5 mins with alzheimers

• I know your right, I've so far only spent £80 on the things I've bought and used on old computer that would of only gone in the bin otherwise. The dreambox me mum and dad have is easily better than what I've tried so far. Just didn't want to fork out that much straight off. The giga blues look nice with the expansion ports for when the kids get older but it is a lot of money £300 with a quad tuner.

• Vix is good enough and has everything you need you cant turn a ford into a ferarri you will need to pay more to get more , dont see how you can be torn between two totally different boxes a medialink and octagon maybe but media like and dreambox youll need.to consult your wallet

• The Medialink boxes have been around for a while. It seems to be mostly VIX and the the teams in Germany that seem to support this box at the moment.

There are quite a few good images available for the Medialink boxes. The other thing to remember also is as its MIPS based the majority of plugins will also work with it.

With the likes of the SH4 chipset based Amiko Alien boxes they will do the job but will never be as well supported for images and plugins as their MIPS chipset based competition, Plus the version of VIX that runs on the Medialink is a genuine supported VIX image unlike the half arsed unsupported rip off version that you find on the Alien boxes.

Nano

Edited once, last by nano ().

• Amiko Micro HD SE :thumb: channel list updates available from Lavatronics via FTP using your remote control

I would not wipe my arse with the support on offer by those clowns, they are not interested in their customers once a sale has been made.

- - - Updated - - -

I would not wipe my arse with the support on offer by those clowns, they are not interested in their customers once a sale has been made.

Just goes to show how little they value customer support over at clown central HQ by the following post on their so called forum.

I have received a number of bug reports/bugs over the past few days (no big surprise with a new image release of course) however the vast majority of those are not actually image related bugs as such, simply setup issues which clearly shows there is a need for a bit more guidance with setup instructions to get the most out of things but likewise shows offering the bug report method is not really working as intended. For this reason I have decided to drop the bug report form in favor of introducing an FAQ section which hopefully will have the desired affect and help over come the most common setup issues. This is something I will work on over the next few weeks in my spare time and to try and maximise the benefits to the majority.

Of course I dare say there are some real bugs hidden in there and I can look at working on these over time, but for now the best way forward I believe will be going down the FAQ route and take things from there... It may well be a little while before you hear more about this as despite what some may think or say this is a personal project of mine which is all done in my own spare time and another reason why trying to trawl through no doubt well meaning but misplaced 'bug' reports just really wasn't working. The FAQs is something that's been in the back of my mind for a while now and I think now is the right time to look at beginning to introduce this over the next few weeks, I will be sure to let everyone know once I have something in place.

OpenViX on Twitter @0penViX

• That post doesn't surprise me in the slightest, its just like his customer service, sh*te :lolz:

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!