Installing hdd dm800 ?

There are 23 replies in this Thread which was already clicked 6,289 times. The last Post () by glenviewjf.

• Official Post

it won,t let me format ,when itry to format it says cannot format with this tool use hdd manager in main menu ,,,,, i havn,t got hdd manager in main menu or i can,t see it ,,,,,,,,,, thanx

I havent used a dm800 or for some time now but from memory i think you need to change the setup mode to expert in the system menu then after reboot the additional options are there.
    Try
    menu/setup/system/customise
    change to expert save & reboot.

Blue button twice for hdd manager. As i said i am not 100% sure of this, hopefully another member can advise.

• i,m using dream elite phoenix ,, i like it , i,ll like it even more if i can get my hdd working ,,,,, thanx

Using dream elite too!

Was a bit of a pain to get the hard drive initialized too, as it kept saying it was working but then after a restart it could not be found!

I reflashed dream elite on it again, used this method first time http://linuxsat-support.com/en…ve-dream-elite-image.html

And havent had a problem since! Installed cross epg monday and loving the image!!

• Find the best method is to download Gparted

Code
    h**p://gparted.sourceforge.net/livecd.php

Burn to cd, turn off PC and attach only the hdd you plan on adding to the dm800 (simply unplug any other hdd's)

Now boot gparted and go with the defaults, once it boots the partition tool will auto start.

You can now see your hdd, right click it and click new and choose ext3, click apply (if it already had a partition delete it then create the ext3)

Power off the pc and remove hdd and add it to your dm800, now power on dm800.

As it's the phoenix image, blue button twice and then choose device manager, now press red for mountpoint

Highlight the hdd and mount to /media/hdd and let it reboot.

To record you need to make a movie folder.

Telnet to the dm800 and

mkdir /media/hdd/movie

Have added quite a few external and internal hdd's to 800's for friends and family, never had a problem with this yet.

Personally I do not think the dm800 is powerful enough to ready hdd's 500gb + on a dm800, hence so many people have problems.

Good Luck.

[edit] BTW, Gparted is a live linux partition manager.

• Just for the humour, reason i say to remove any other HDD's

Mentioned to someone ages ago how to do this, he ended up deleting his windows partition which had me in fits of laughter for ages, the bloody numpty.

So if anyone decides to keep there HDD's attached while setting up the 800 hdd, don't go blaming me :)

• thankx for that ,, its a 160gb samsung spinpoint ,, thanx for your help

• tried both solutions apart from reinstalling dreamelite and still can,t get the hdd to work , it shows up but i can,t format it or initialise it ,,,,,, any one else had this problem, i,m using bootloader 82 and its a samsung spinpoint hdd ,,,,,,, thanx

• when you say telnet to dm800 and mkdir/media/hdd/movie ,,,,,, do i just type mkdir/media/hdd/movie and press enter on telnet screen on dcc , because it just keeps saying not found , i don,t normally use telnet , i usually just ftp ,,,,, thanx

• when you say telnet to dm800 and mkdir/media/hdd/movie ,,,,,, do i just type mkdir/media/hdd/movie and press enter on telnet screen on dcc , because it just keeps saying not found , i don,t normally use telnet , i usually just ftp ,,,,, thanx

yes, there is a space after mkdir !

Code
    mkdir /media/hdd
  • right got it working now ,,, followed the instructions from thread 13 from lfcforever apart from the telnet thing ,,,,, instead i just changed the recording path on the dm800, menu/setup/system/recording paths changed the path to media/hdd saved it and it recorded ,,,,,,, thanx for all the help ,,,,, thanx

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!