Lost signal after heavy wind last month, dish looks a bit off centre

There are 9 replies in this Thread which was already clicked 1,562 times. The last Post () by nano.

• I have a Amiko 8900, was heavy wind for a few days and was fine at first then went to bed one night and next morning nothing so reset box and nothing, then went outside and noticed dish was slightly off centre i.e if it was a clock and 3 was normal it was 4 or 4.5.

I left it a few weeks as was busy due to christmas but really miss tv! Earlier today I managed to reach the dish with a old shower pole and pushed the dish up a little so its pointing straight again but knocked off lnb. Wondered if I can get it working without borrowing a ladder to put it back on(thats if even then it gets a signal)

• Gonna have to get up there i'm afraid.
    Or get a new dish and mount it lower but you will still need the feed cable from it (unless you want to go to the hassle of running a new one)

• Thanks, what I am unclear about is if the lnb was needed to be hooked to the mount to get a signal or was that the dish or both.

I managed to straighten the dish out with my pole but its the lnb that is just a pain.

I did want to add a quad to it anyway and run single feeds to the bedroom but no experience with that and I live in a 1st floor flat so dish is like 10 feet off ground.

There is a dish from my downstairs neighbour who doesnt even use *** and its easily reachable just standing on ground as hes in a ground floor flat its just I would have to somehow mount the cable to the wall. I did but the cable, think it was 100m from Ebay but never did it.

I would just use a local company but they wanted like £80 to run 2 feeds and attach a lnb to the wall to the dish that is already there.

• The dish is a reflector, the lnb is where the signal is gathered.
    Both are needed and have to be adjusted/ aligned fairly spot on.
    If you are unsure/afraid of heights, i'd shy away from it but to be honest, it's a fairly simple job unless the lnb mount/ dish is broke.
    Then it's a new dish or lnb bracket.
    Don't know if £80 is a good or bad price.

• £80 just to run 2 lines is expensive, for that i would expect a new *** dish installed too.

They would probably use shotgun cable (Twin WF65) which is more or less the same as running one cable, plus you can get a quad *** lnb for about £7 off ebay including postage so to me that quote is expensive.

Nano

• i dont think £80 is over expensive, being self employed my self, everyone thinks vans run, service,tax themselves then theres other running costs, then theres tax on the 80 quid and materials, anybody wants to make at least 50 quid for coming out, alternative is borrow some ladders and buy a cheap sat finder you have to decide if its worth the hassle or not, i was on the brink of phoning someone to do my dish but with the advice i got on this site i persivered and sorted it, but you have to decide that for yourself

- - - Updated - - -

if you do decide to do it yourself and succeed, if it does get blown out of line again, theres no more paying out pal

• If your in the trade you know as well as me that you can get a $ky Minidish and lnb for under £15 from the wholesalers and a roll of WF65 shotgun for under £15 and a box of clips is about £2. I can throw a $ky dish up and cable to the box in under half an hour in 99% of jobs.

£80 for running two cables is excessive as far as i'm concerned. Obviously not that much competition where you are Monkfield if you think £80 is not excessive or are we talking London prices here?

To be honest Dekaman if you see a $ky bod (cant bring myself to call them engineers :lolz:) you'll probably find if you wave £40 in front of them they will do it for you including new cables. Just make sure you hide the Amiko box first. Just tell them you are buying a freesat box and want the dish setting up.

Nano

Edited 5 times, last by nano ().

• To be clear I already have my own brand new cable that I checked before I purchased, he did ask to see it when he arrived and said its the correct cable so he would use it, and I did have a new quad lnb but he said theres already a quad already on it but 3 were being used(though think he was looking at wrong dish as I checked and its only a dual with both used)

So he just wanted £80 to attach the lnb to the dish and attach my own cabling to the wall, there was even holes in wall where there used to be aerial cable so he didnt need to drill to get into building!

I do have a sat finder I borrowed but I have no ladder, only real chance is to ask my foreign neighbour across the road whom I dont get on with as they enter my building and let their dogs poop everywhere and bark at all hours then whinge if you tell them to stop, they are self employed handymen I think, have been told they can do it on the cheap too but dont want to reward their bad attitudes.

This is in the Glasgow area, but the same installer quoted like £80 for a freesat installation and dish AND box on his website thats with his own cabling!

• I wouldnt get out my bed for £80 at this time of year ,get him to do a freesat install with the box rather than a repair

- - - Updated - - -

only you can work out what you want to spend but if i wasnt able i would not be doing without tv for a week trying to save £20 looking for a cheaper price , i would just want it on , good luck buddy hope you manage to get it on soon

:thumb:

• If hes quoting £80 just to run a cable and fit an LNB that you already own then he doesn't want the job or hes a rip of merchant. I would look elsewhere for just a Freesat install. You can always sell the cable and lnb that you already have.

I certainly wouldn't be asking the previous sat guy. Looking at google there are loads of sat and aerial companies in your area.

Nano

General Satellite & Installation Support Forum

Support for LNBs, Single satellite, motorised and multi-satellite systems. DiSEqC switches, positioners, motors, actuators, dish-alignment help.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!