Old satellite dish and a new DM800

There are 8 replies in this Thread which was already clicked 1,440 times. The last Post () by cazuela.

• Hey guys!

First of all, i'm new to everything that has to do with satellite tv. I have an old sat. dish on the roof of my apartment, and i recently got myself a new dm800 with DVBS/2-tuner. I have also changed all the wires to the lnb's and bought a new DiSEqC 2.0 2/1 switch. I seem to get a good signal (with a sat finder) by the dish, but i don't get much more than 20% AGC and 0% SNR. Sometimes though, the SNR peeks at 100%. Could it be that I have analog LNB's connected to the dish and that i need to change them to digital LNB's? Is there such a thing as analog and digital LNB's?

• most old lnb's in fact 99.9% of them will be fine for digital transmissions first of all i would check the disceq switch and then make sure there is no water in your cable or lnb and make sure there are no copper wires touching the main cable to both the lnb and reciever connection if all fails i would try to realign your dish good luck buddy but if shit hits the fan you could get a disd of fleabay for about a tenner but check all connections first my friend

• It sounds like the dish is looking at another satellite. Try going through your satellite list on your box and look at 13 east and 19 east as it may be pointing at them.

• most old lnb's in fact 99.9% of them will be fine for digital transmissions first of all i would check the disceq switch and then make sure there is no water in your cable or lnb and make sure there are no copper wires touching the main cable to both the lnb and reciever connection if all fails i would try to realign your dish good luck buddy but if shit hits the fan you could get a disd of fleabay for about a tenner but check all connections first my friend

Thanks for your fast reply! I will try your suggestions. But if it still doesn't work, could it be that the lnb's gone bad? Can LNB's go bad? :S

• It sounds like the dish is looking at another satellite. Try going through your satellite list on your box and look at 13 east and 19 east as it may be pointing at them.

I point my dish at 1°W Thor and 4.8°E Sirius, and I have set Thor as LNB 1 and Sirius as LNB 2. I have also set my box to listen to those two in that order. Any other suggestions?

• If the lnb is that old then for little money replace the lnb .. I would also suggest revising at the cable/ F connections..for corrosion,etc,
    look at the posts about setups and you´ll get a better idea of what is working these days..

• Ah sorry mate I made the assumption that you hadn't moved the dish just hooked onto it and tested for a signal what do they say about assuming! New LNB seems the way to go and can be found for a few quid as suggested.

• Ok, thank you guys so far!
    Now, next up: I went up and did a new test with my sat finder, and now I get a really good reception on both LNB's (still the old ones). But now I have the problem by the DISEqC-switch. I have tried two different ones and I only get reception on LNB 2 and not on LNB 1. Do I have to force the switch in the DISEqC-switch from the dreambox or should I get a reception on both LNB channels anyway?

General Satellite & Installation Support Forum

Support for LNBs, Single satellite, motorised and multi-satellite systems. DiSEqC switches, positioners, motors, actuators, dish-alignment help.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!