[TUTORIAL] How to use SSH to find your USB Hard Drive's mount point (OpenELEC)

There are 2 replies in this Thread which was already clicked 1,832 times. The last Post () by Prophet.

• So as I mentioned in my guide to setting up Series Link recordings, if you're using a USB Hard Drive to store your recordings on, it is important to know where your Hard Drive is mounted on your WeTek play box.

You can sometimes find what you need directly using OpenELEC by going to System, then to System info and then to Storage, but for me the mount point name was too long and it wouldn't display the whole name.

An easier way to find what you need is to connect to your WeTek using an SSH client, PuTTY is a popular free client available for Windows. Please note that SSH needs to be enabled within OpenELEC for this to work. Scooterbuk explains how to enable SSH HERE if you need to know how to enable it.

With PuTTY or any other SSH client connect to your WeTek's IP Address, and the port if you need to enter it is 22. When asked to login, the username should be root and the password should be openelec

When you've logged in, just simply type the following command

Code
    df -h

and hit enter
    This will list all of the storage devices on the WeTek Play.
    An external USB hard drive should be listed as

Code
    /dev/sda1

at the end of that line is the Mount Point Name and this is what you need to type in to the 'Recording System Path' that I mentioned in my Series Link guide

As an example, if you look at my screenshot here, you will see that my external USB hard drive has a Mount Point name of

Code
    /var/media/sda1-usb-TOSHIBA_External

e163edf3dfc.jpg

• You can also do this on the browser, will grap a screen shot when I get a min

- - - Updated - - -

Not quite the same thing but another way to set your recording path name etc

first off take your usb/HDD and plug it into your pc, next you want to format it
    037f2e863eb94e5eb2d4.jpg
    when formatting give your drive a name here I have called mine HDD
    f3150ff24d5bb2220.jpg
    I like to record to a folder and not the root of the device, you dont have to do this but if you want to just create a folder.
    b794088eab033045ba807147.jpg
    Next open your tvheadend web interface, this will be your weteks ipaddres then :9981 unless you have change the port
    Here you want to go to configuration then record, under parameters you will see recording file options, in recording system path you will want to enter
    /var/media/what evere you name your drive / if you created a folder add it after the device name
    aeab93d1.jpg

Hope that all makes sense

• master G

Added the Label Article

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!