zgemma star 2s booting problem

There are 50 replies in this Thread which was already clicked 21,000 times. The last Post () by jenseneverest.

• openatv-5.3-zgemmas2s-20160806_usb

Original
    ive also tried a few other originals with the same result, just cant get my head round it,, its not the image that seems to be the issue, its the bootloader whats getting stuck. just powered it on again with successful boot
    Just put PLI on and its booting fine,, im guessing this is the Bootloader info (see pic)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6cri…_20160827-192317.png?dl=0

Edited once, last by coopdog ().

• Official Post

openatv-5.3-zgemmas2s-20160806_usb

Original
    ive also tried a few other originals with the same result, just cant get my head round it,, its not the image that seems to be the issue, its the bootloader whats getting stuck. just powered it on again with successful boot
    Just put PLI on and its booting fine,, im guessing this is the Bootloader info (see pic)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6cri…_20160827-192317.png?dl=0

Yes mate that is it...
    Strange one. Are you saving epg data to a hard drive or similar ? That is the only thing I can think of. The epg data may be filling up the internal flash especially over a 24hr period. Unless it is some sort of hardware fault or it's getting very hot.

• Yes mate that is it...
    Strange one. Are you saving epg data to a hard drive or similar ? That is the only thing I can think of. The epg data may be filling up the internal flash especially over a 24hr period. Unless it is some sort of hardware fault or it's getting very hot.

im not even setting up epg at all, (i also thought that was causing it) im leaving it disabled untill i diagnose the problem,, upto now its running fine with the downgraded bootloader, the components inside are hot to the touch but not hot enough not to touch if that makes sense. i guess im just going to have to run the box a few days and see what happens

• Well, after a couple of days the box is still booting fine and fast, really fast, sometimes (even when its been unplugged from socket) it can boot that fast the loading % on the front display doesnt even show, the box has now gone back to its owner, a very happy owner at that. thanks again Jensen for the help,, much appreciated .

• Official Post

my zgemma 2s stuck on half boot, on stb red boot written stuk here

Is anything displayed on the TV when trying to boot ? If so your box is not bricked, it needs a clean reflash using a small (less than 8gb), good named branded usb stick.

Low level format the USB stick and use the rear port to reflash without anything else connected other than power and the usb stick.

Failing that, then this thread has instructions on how to flash via serial console.

Failing that then you will need to recover via jtag., again it is covered in this thread.

• my zgemma 2s stuck on half boot, on stb red boot written stuk here

Is anything displayed on the TV when trying to boot ? If so your box is not bricked, it needs a clean reflash using a small (less than 8gb), good named branded usb stick.

Low level format the USB stick and use the rear port to reflash without anything else connected other than power and the usb stick.

Failing that, then this thread has instructions on how to flash via serial console.

Failing that then you will need to recover via jtag., again it is covered in this thread.

i had used 2gb usb. and tried many images, only boot logo show on tv screen. putty error i show in screenshot

• Official Post

You have a similar issue to log reported here:

This thread is now very old, i no longer have any Zgemma's..... and as a result my memory is not so good either !!

Normally speaking if you have anything displayed on your TV (like the splash screen) your STB is not bricked - it is corrupted.

A reflash of the bootloader, then a reflash of a clean image should fix the issue.......

Reflashing the bootloader should reconfigure any bad blocks in the nand chip (unless it is the first block - then the chipset is useless)

After that - flashing clean firmware should restore the STB back to normal.

However if the flashing of the bootloader fails, and the STB is stuck on red light, and usb ports are dead, the only way to recover from that is via jtag.

So take your time, ensure you are using a good name branded (not a cheap shit ) usb stick.

Low level format the usb stick with each attempt of either bootloader or firmware .

If that still fails.....

Try with serial console to force erase and flash as described here:

Failing that....then you will need to go down the lines of jtag recovery, which must be done with a fresh windows XP install as described earlier.

i had used 2gb usb. and tried many images, only boot logo show on tv screen. putty error i show in screenshot

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!