Interested to get Wetek but have questions

There are 10 replies in this Thread which was already clicked 1,001 times. The last Post () by dale094.

• I have been looking for sometime for a STB that can be used both for sat TV and double as a streamer/internet box. I currently have in my second TV room (used mainly by my children) a Vu+ Solo box for my sat TV and a Minix Neo X-8h box for streaming TV via a browser (I have a paid sub for a TV service that is delivered via a browser) and XBMC to stream movies from my NAS. I have been looking for sometime for an Android Sat box that replace both boxes, but was deterred by the low quality boxes in the market. The Wetek Play seems to me the first real candidate that has good SW support and decent performance. I still have quite a few questions:

1. How is DVB S-2 performance, especially when zapping. Is the box stable? Also how well does it handle CCCAM? I am a bit scared to move away from E2 that really excels in this department...
    2. Is it easy to import E2 bouquets and settings?
    3. Can I run a proper web browser on Openelec (in the past I know the answer was no). If not I guess I need to run the stock Android firmware right?
    4. Is there a way to stream DVB-S2 channels to an iPad, the way it can be done with my Vu+ (I use the Blackbox App)?
    5. Will Wetek come soon with a quad core box to match the latest specs on the market?

Thanks in advance for your feedback :thumb:

• At the moment you are definitely better with Vu+ and Neo x8-8h. Wetek might have some future but for now DVB-S2 performance is poor comparing to any enigma2 based box. The zapping is slow, HD channels are suturing, there are problems with overheating and WiFi connection.
    Openelec has no web browser and stock android of Minix Neo X-8h box is much better.

• At the moment you are definitely better with Vu+ and Neo x8-8h. Wetek might have some future but for now DVB-S2 performance is poor comparing to any enigma2 based box. The zapping is slow, HD channels are suturing, there are problems with overheating and WiFi connection.
    Openelec has no web browser and stock android of Minix Neo X-8h box is much better.

sorry mate i don't agree with most of your comments.

1: it's as good now before E2 is introduced than quite a few linux E2 boxes.
    2: channels zapping is comparable to anything out there, it takes me 1 or 2 seconds to clear fta or encrytpted channels.
    3: wifi is absolutely superb, don't miss a beat on my system.
    4: yes it gets hot, but that don't cause any problems
    5: all in all i know nothing about the box you've recommended, but for the price it's brilliant and will get better.
    6: in fact i'm using mine now instead of my VU+ Duo2
    7: to the OP i think others will be able to answer your queries better.

regards: canthackit

• Thanks for the answers. Will wait for more answers on the other points.
    canthackit - are you using the Wetek theatre or openelec? Reason I'm asking is that it seems that the blackbox pro app (which I have on my ipad and use to stream TV from my E2 boxes) can also stream from tvheadend.

• Personally I think wetek should go the way as the cm11 custom firmware,ie you can have android with kodi and tvheadend all in flash,a lot better and faster than openelec on SD card,
    Personally I found the channel changes very slow,

At the moment I personally think its a good machine ,just not there yet,I think people are waiting for e2 with xbmc,just be care full flashing,iv bricked mine and can't revive it

• Yes, I get the impression that all Android boxes are not as good as E2 for TV part of things. Issue is that E2 boxes are not there yet for media streaming (XBMC) and a decent internet browser :-(

• al2813

i use both OS mate andriod and openelec, to be honest streaming to and from the boxes i'm not sure about, funny thing is i was just watching PremierLeaguePass on my ipad and i'm in the process of reinstalling 5.0.8, but on the ipad came up the option to connect to openelec, i tried tentively but nothing happened, but when i've got more time i shall investigate.

regards: canthackit

• ---------------------

wrong

I am running a duo2 box with BH 2.1.5 and XBMC works pretty bad. But anyway, my main concern is a propoer internet browser and the Opera available in E2 is simply not good enough.
    If you have a setup that does work for you, will be happy to hear about it.

• I have used a lot of sat boxes and i am happy with the way the WETEK performs it has got loads of potential over e2 boxes for price comparison, must admit could do with 2gb ram and some teething problems that need ironing out, but support is first class from team WETEK, I find WETEK android running theater to be best at the moment with zapping as fast as any e2 box, and quality picture with hd better imho, just needs more support for EPG, my opinion is it is a great box fully customizable to 4 platforms, its early days yet but my thumbs up for this box :50_002::50_002::50_002::40_002:

Edited once, last by dale094 ().

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!