Your 4K TV might not be able to handle UHD sports, says Sky

There are 2 replies in this Thread which was already clicked 676 times. The last Post () by able2.

• Official Post

d0659e42a0728db43c7e.jpg

You might think your new 4K TV set is the height of living room tech, but it may not be able to play back a simple footie game very soon.

That’s because early adopters of UHD televisions could find their sets are unable to handle future 4K sports broadcasts.

Many 4K TVs, particularly early units, simply don’t have the processing heft to play UHD content back at a rate higher than 25 frames per seconds.

That’s fine for Hollywood movies, but sports broadcasts need to be transmitted at a higher frame rate due to the content’s faster pace.

Chris Jones, Sky’s chief engineer of broadcast strategy, said: “If you bought a set in 2013 and early 2014, then sorry, it won’t do sport,” as reported by the IBTimes UK.

He continued: “It’ll only go up to 25 frames per second. If you bought a set last year, even a set in the sales this summer, this spring, then I’m sorry – it won’t do High Dynamic Range, which gives you better, brighter pictures.”

According to Jones, sports broadcasts would be best transmitted at 100 frames per second, which requires huge processing power at a 4K resolution.

That’s because while Full HD is video that makes use of 1920 x 1080 pixels, 4K works at resolutions of 3840 x 2160 and 4096 x 2160, which is much more difficult to process due to the increased information.

Samsung currently sells a UHD Evolution Kit. For £400, this will allow you to upgrade the performance of certain 4K TVs from 2013.

But as there’s still no standard for 4K broadcasting yet, it’s not clear whether this plug-in will allow for high-quality sports content.

Samsung reportedly stated it will “be working closely with all streaming and other UHD services to ensure that we continue to meet any new standards that come into the market.”

Edited once, last by Prophet ().

• this why i never jump on a new TV always wait myself or get a massive monitor in use DVI/HDMI and optical for audio
    its always teh same get new kit , fight out abit then what wins becomes industry standards and leaves many older but still new devices at the back
    great to force folk to buy new kit sad if yah a mr jones ;)

PM for support 0nly with a Link to Y0ur
    P05t w1Th Wat5 up 0r 155u3 thaT5
    B33N ....... P05T3D

0D3R PATCH3D 3H ;)
    much <3 th0ugh in d0 a5 Ab0v3
    1n Wh3n 533N r3plY n PM n 58PP0rt G1v3n ;)

"I'm against Piracey so please DONT ATTACK SHIPS"
    :p

• NO tv will do 100fps!!??

and im sure skys STB WONT cope more like nowt to do with tv, its prob not powerful enough or support the h265

i play 4k games on pc from 1440 to 3840 x 2160 and 4096 x 2160 using sli msi gtx 980 i have to select adaptive in nvidia to keep it too max 60fps anything over screen tearing central.

i dont think skys stb are capable of delivering 4k, ffs they dont even do 1080p!!! its 720, yea you can set the box to 1080i but it 100% isnt, its 720.

my pc only just manages 4k @ an average 50-60fps thats a i7 4790k OC to 5.0Ghz 16gb ram 2400 sli 980s and samsung ssd pro using a 1050w corsair cpu.

4k will be @ 25-30fps regardless of sports, gaming yes 60fps is a target but its a struggle to get the 60fps

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!