skybox f5s crashing 10 seconds after boot

There are 9 replies in this Thread which was already clicked 4,301 times. The last Post () by markg5313.

• Hi guys im in deep help from someone who can fix my s*ybox f5s

its basically freezing after 10 seconds when booted, and only when the coxial cable is plugged in.

I stupidly ran the LAN tool to update the box and messed up files

ive done thebelow steps but still no joy.

can some please help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    :23_002:

ive tried the 2 guides below

This is a reference thread as it took me an age to find the solution.

After using the LAN Tool to update ccCam or channel list and then upgrading the firmware my box would crash 10 seconds after boot.

Unplug your LNB cable from the back.

You need to run the LAN tool again, download whatever file you had uploaded (ccCam or channel list), open in notepad and delete all contents so it's a blank file. Upload them back to the box.

Delete all channels
    Factory reset and select all files, reboot.
    Upload latest firmware via USB (do not use the lan tool anymore, that's whay causes the issue)

Plug in LNB and boot - my box was still crashing at this point, here's what made the difference:

Turn on box and you have 10 seconds before it crashes, hit MENU and upload ccCAM (with your details in) and TV list (Ajs list or whatever you use) from USB! Reboot. - I also recut the skycable and redid the plug on the end befoe I turned the box back on, so this may have helped?

guide 2:

Exactly the same issue as above: My box would freeze/crash completely after about 10/15 seconds when the LNB was connected - the only different was that i couldnt even enter the menu with the LNB connected. After hours of google searches, it would seem that by using the LAN tool over a WIFI network can corrupt any transferred files and this is what causes the problem. Two of the most common files to get corrupted is the "constant.cw" and "newcamd.list" but it can also happen to "cccam.cfg" as well.

I think it is worth stating at this point, if you intend to do ANY updates (Channel lists, firmware etc) using the LAN tool instead of USB please ENSURE you use a RJ45 cable connected to your router, and NOT WIFI, as that should stop this problem happening again

This is how i fixed it.

Remove the LNB and turn on the box.
    Once loaded, enter the menu and remove any channel list and reboot box.
    This time, do a complete factory reset, ensuring you select all options to remove. Reboot box.
    Now, using a clean text editor (Notepad++), i created a new set of .cw .cfg and .list files and ensured they were completely blank.
    Using the LAN tool via RJ45, i connected to the box and transferred all the blank files back to the box. Reboot the box.
    Again, via the LAN tool, i reflashed the firmware and rebooted.
    Disconnect the LAN tool, and once loaded, i loaded a channel list via USB this time, and rebooted once again.
    Finally, turned off the device and removed power. Reconnected the LNB and restarted the box. Low and behold, the problem was gone!

tried both and no joy

• if at all possible try an alternate power source as these are notoriously unreliable on these boxes.
    stay away from lan tool, .If power source isn't issue, trim the core of the sat cable don't leave it too long.
    Source a stock firmware from skybox homepage .factory reset box, before the reflash make sure the option keep dbs & settings
    is set to no then reflash, then add tp prog via usb, a couple of different options, the power source may be the most fruitful
    option but won't hurt trying the others

one final thought, if you remove the sat cable does the box boot up? ie l100 sepe code ,? then channel no?

Edited once, last by samsid ().

• usually if there's a flaw in co ax cable ie braid contacting core, the box will constantly reboot, similarly if the core is too long
    will cause box to freeze or crash, you have investigated both of these. The power source failure, shows as box starting then crash, or just showing a faint '008' on display, you have investigated this. You have reset the box, used stock firmware from appropriate site, which should eliminate corrupted firmware. There are 2 other avenues I can think of, flash the box via rs232
    connection, or replace the powerboard on box.However replace the powerboard while easy to dowill the cost of board around £30 for it , maybe less, balance against the value of box, not being smart but they are over 2 years on market ,been superceded several times, if you call packing same unit in new case & giving it a new name ,supercession. Really i can't think of any other causes, that may result in your issue.

• Hi guys just wanted to share my experience. I had the same issue as deejay_waz but with a skybox V8S and after a lot of reading and many, many times trying different methods nothing seemed to work so tried my own ways so this is what I did to bring a V8S back to life.

With the dish feed plugged in booted the box but pressing menu as soon as it boots within a split second before it freezes.
    Do a factory reset deleting all files and then uploading blank constant.cw and CCcam.cfg with the lan tool.
    Delete all channels.
    Then I upgraded the firmware using USB latest one while writing is V8 V6 150519.abs from skybox.cc and waited for reboot
    Uploaded the latest ajsat list waited for reboot then pressed menu as soon as it booted and then changed time setting for summer time as we are in summer.
    Then I exited to the TV and low and behold the box didn't lock up and is still running as I am writing this.

Changing the time settings may not be needed but they are the exact steps I took and it worked and now time to try it on a F5 and F5s

Update!!

Just done the same procedure on the F5s and worked a treat :) Hope others find this useful.

• Orateyouth. You are a genius. Have been banging my head against the wall with this one. I had 8 boxes with same problem and now all running again.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!