Updating BlackHole with Plugins and Addons

There are 21 replies in this Thread which was already clicked 2,146 times. The last Post () by mckee25.

• Hi all,

Background:
    I have just bought a Vu+ Solo2 in the last couple of weeks. The box came pre-loaded with BlackHole as I am sure they all do.

I have only installed one additional plugin: Timeshift
    I have setup CrossEPG and AutoBouquets to update and download each morning automatically.

I have made a full-system backup to my internal hard-drive so I presume that I will be able to recover should anything go wrong.

Question 1:
    What happens when I update the BlackHole system software? Will it keep my configurations or will I have to set it all up again?

Question 2:
    What about plugins and addons, are they updated with the BlackHole update or do I need to do these separate to the system software update?

Thanks

• Answer 1. Make a personal backup and save it to your internal HDD....when you update the image or flash a new version of Blackhole you can use the personal backup to re-load your configurations.

Answer 2. Any plugins & addons that come with the Blackhole image will be the latest versions when Blackhole release a new version or update of their image, any addons or plugins that you add to the image you will need to update/maintain yourself.......

fI7WHhv.png

Please click on the "Like" :thumbup: button if you find the information and support posted on the forum helpful.

• I've updated the BlackHole system software.
    After it restarted, it showed the BlackHole boot logo and now it is just showing a black screen on the TV. LCD on the box says VU+ SOLO2 :(

• There is nothing coming back from the remote-control / menu.
    Box is accessible through FTP, haven't tried Telnet.

There is a message in the /var/volatile/log/messages : Id "e2" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes

I'm guessing I need to restore my backup somehow. I used BlackHole to do a full-backup and I set the location as /media/hdd/

I presume the contents of this folder are the backup: /media/hdd/vuplus/solo2/ ?

• kernel_cfe_auto.bin
    • reboot.update
    • root_cfe_auto.bin
    • splash_cfe_auto.bin

Do I just extract these to a USB and restart the box and let it do the rest ?

Thanks

• Official Post

Factory reset the solo2 in telnet, then restore your personal backup from the menu..
    Run this in telnet:

Code
    rm -R /etc/enigma && killall -9 enigma

If you didn`t perform a personal backup you will need to reflash.. Copy the vuplus folder to a usb stick > power off then on > press the power button on the remote control when you see the prompt on the front panel..

• I remember using a specific application for running telnet commands against my box (can't remember the name now). If someone could remind me of the name / link that would be great.
    or
    should I run from windows telnet client ?

Sorry, only got this box a few weeks ago. All very new.

• FTP vuplus folder On to your desktop.
    This should contain inside another folder named solo2.
    This is the folder you should have on your usb stick to reflash..
    Follow the usual flashing procedure.

• Official Post

I remember using a specific application for running telnet commands against my box (can't remember the name now). If someone could remind me of the name / link that would be great.
    or
    should I run from windows telnet client ?

Sorry, only got this box a few weeks ago. All very new.

Use Dreambox Control Center.. Click the telnet tab from the left panel > paste in the command then press enter..

• I haven't done anything yet but I can't seem to connect to the box anymore via FTP.

I've restarted the box via the switch and I have checked my router is assigning it an IP: 192.168.1.21 but I can't connect to it.

• Official Post

I haven't done anything yet but I can't seem to connect to the box anymore via FTP.

I've restarted the box via the switch and I have checked my router is assigning it an IP: 192.168.1.21 but I can't connect to it.

You should never switch the box off/reboot when it won`t startup like that.. Reflashing with the backup via usb is probably the only way to recover it now..

Which version of black hole were you on before trying to update ? I wouldn`t use the update feature as it is for updating minor features, ONLY if you have the latest image in flash. If you are coming from an old version it can damage the image which you have found out.. Reflashing the latest images then restoring your personal backup is the way to go, or try one of the backups from here -> Vu+ SOLO2 Backup Images

• Ok, I appear to be able to login via FTP once more.

I have executed the telnet command and I presume it executed as the /etc/enigma/ folder is gone. There is a /etc/enigma2/ folder with a couple of files.

Anyway, after I executed the command, I restarted the box and the screen is still blank.

I then put the contents of /media/hdd/vuplus/solo2/ on my USB stick and rebooted the Solo2 and the same thing again, boot logo then black screen.

• Official Post

Format the usb stick to fat32 first.. There should only be the vuplus folder on the usb, with the solo2 folder inside of it.. Which version of black hole were you on before ? Did the box start the flashing process ? If it did flash and you still have a black screen you may have a clone. Is this an original solo2 ?

• Based on the price I certainly hope it is an original. How can I tell if it is a fake?

I formatted the stick as FAT32.

I was on 2.1.1

• I've had a look at the guide and I'm following it.

Power-off, insert USB, power-on wait for prompt to press power button..

I've tried three USB's all formatted to FAT32 just to get this sorted. After boot logo, screen just goes blank.

• After following all steps to the letter ..
    a folder named vuplus containing another folder named solo2 which contains:

Code
    kernel_cfe_auto.bin
        reboot.update
        root_cfe_auto.bin
        splash_cfe_auto.bin

and its still not being accepted by the solo2
    sounds like youre going to have to reflash fully.....
    perhaps the 2.1.7 wont accept backups from the older 2.1.1....
    but you could try it once you have a working image on the box..

• Just want to double check with you the it's the folder named "vuplus" that you copied over to the usb stick??

If you don't mind me asking how much did you pay for the solo2 and where did you get it??? if it came with Blackhole 2.1.1 flashed on it bud to be honest thats a old BH image now.....

fI7WHhv.png

Please click on the "Like" :thumbup: button if you find the information and support posted on the forum helpful.

• mckee25
    I didn't copy the folders /vuplus/solo2/ I just copied the files!
    Once I put the proper folders and files it complete the restore.

Thank you all very very much!

I'll try to update from 2.1.1 to 2.1.7 via USB tomorrow. I don't think I can take anymore this evening :54_002:

thanks again

VU+ SOLO 2 PVR Ready Linux Enigma2 Receiver Full HD 1080p

Download VUPlus Images and Enigma2 Team Support from Black Hole, OpenATV, OpenBH, Open Black Hole, OpenDroid, OpenESi, OpenHDF, OpenLD, OpenPLi, OpenSPA, OpenViX, Open Vision, PKT Hyperion, PurE2, SatDreamGR, VTi.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!