28.2e, 19.2e & 13e on a Zone 2 / 55cm dish???

There are 18 replies in this Thread which was already clicked 2,693 times. The last Post () by abu baniaz.

• Hi all,

I've got an elderly relative that wants to pick up the FTA sports channels on 19e and 13e (and keep 28.2e) on the same dish. They also don't want a dish larger than Zone 2 / 55cm!

I've bought a multi-lnb holder and was going to give it a go and see if was possible, but I was wondering whether there was any other forum member had tried mult-satellite on a smallish dish??

Thanks in advance for any replies.

bb69

• Thanks for the reply.
    Do you still get good signal strength on 19.2e and 13e with a 60 dish?

I was planning to do it on a 55cm fixed dish rather than on a motor. Although I think that I might have a spare motor knocking around somewhere.

• Official Post

Yes mate fixed would be better for what your after. I wanted 0.8 hence the motor. I pick up 7 sats in all. The signal on your 3 sats is strong so don't see you having any issues with the 55 dish.

• you will have to align the dish and use prime focus on 13.0° east as some of the DVB-S2 channels use a high FEC which makes there breakup point need a higher signal level the SD channels are unaffected, the official Zone2 mesh dish actually measure near 70cm side to side and is around 58cm top to bottom so you should be fine as 19.2 and 28.2 east have a lot stronger signal than some on 13 east

Good luck

• The dish is a Triax TD54, rather than a Sky Zone 2 dish. I think that the dimensions of the dish are 50cm x 55cm.

I've bought one of these multi-LNB holders -
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/TRIAX-…older-Range/dp/B00CELPUR6

The setup guide doesn't have the measurements for dishes as small as mine, but hopefully I'll be able to set it up somewhere near.

The person that I'm setting it up for likes general sport with a bit of racing.
    The channels / transponders that he would particularly want are -

19.2°E
    12226.50H - Eurosport Germany
    12480.00V - Sport 1 Germany, Equi8

13.0°E
    10873.00V - Arriadia
    11804.00V - Rai Sport 1 & 2
    12558.00V - UnireSat

Anyone know if these are on strong transponders?

Thanks

• Hi all,

I thought that I would give some feedback; I gave it a go this weekend, but with mixed results.

I could pick up the three individual satellites (13e, 19.2e & 28.2e) by pointing them directly at each satellites, but I couldn't seem to find a setting where I could pick up all three with strong enough signals so there wasn't breakup in the picture :-(
    I didn't bother trying a motorised set-up as I think that the relative would easily get confused by the additional sat box (currently only have a freesat tv).

bb69

• The dish and Bracket should be absolutely adequate for just those 3 satellites especially in the UK, infact a lot of people have on occasion just taped an lnb to the side of there 28.2° east lnb on a standard 43cm sky dish with zero problems.

Just to let you know as you mention your using a freesat TV and unsure of the model/spec etc.. but i do know a lot of the recent Samsung,Panasonic,LG etc.. newer models will accept settings for a diseqc switch the problem you face is the choice of channels the ones listed Eurosport germany on 19.2° est is encrypted and also Rai Sport 1&2 although generally FTA most of the time do encrypt these channels for big sporting events something which even a Smart Freesat TV is unable of doing by that i mean the un-encryption.

• in central scot i cnt pick up those 3 on a zone2 sly diah i need to use 2 zone2 to acheive this , unless i stick up a 1mtr then ill grab all 3 :)

PM for support 0nly with a Link to Y0ur
    P05t w1Th Wat5 up 0r 155u3 thaT5
    B33N ....... P05T3D

0D3R PATCH3D 3H ;)
    much <3 th0ugh in d0 a5 Ab0v3
    1n Wh3n 533N r3plY n PM n 58PP0rt G1v3n ;)

"I'm against Piracey so please DONT ATTACK SHIPS"
    :p

• The dish and Bracket should be absolutely adequate for just those 3 satellites especially in the UK, infact a lot of people have on occasion just taped an lnb to the side of there 28.2° east lnb on a standard 43cm sky dish with zero problems.

Thanks for the reply. We spent hours trying to set it up without any luck :-)

I initially put on a single lnb and connected it straight to my Technomate which had 28.2e, 23.5e, 19.2e and 13e channels already installed. I turned the dish on the bracket until I had I picked up on channels on all four satellites and then marked the general direction of each satellite. I then did a scan and save on the freesat TV (Panasonic TX-L32D25) to pick up the euro channels that he wanted.
    I was getting signal quality of around 55% on the euro satellites and 70-80% on 28.2e with the dish pointing at each satellite.
    I then fitted the multi-LNB holder. I had marked up and set this up as per the Technomate guidance notes (abet the guidance notes were for a 80cm dish) and tried turning the dish to try and find a compromise position where I could pick up all three sats, but no joy. I also tried moving the lnb's on the holder, but again no luck. The only thing that I didn't try and change was the elevation of the dish (set at 23.6 degrees).

It was a cloudy day, but not so cloudy that I would have thought that it would have had a huge impact on signal quality.

I couldn't find the MotoGP live on FTA on 19.2e, so all in all, a fruitless weekend!

I've now ordered a 65cm (transparent) dish and see if I get more joy with a bigger dish.

the problem you face is the choice of channels the ones listed Eurosport germany on 19.2° est is encrypted and also Rai Sport 1&2 although generally FTA most of the time do encrypt these channels for big sporting events

I didn't know that Rai Sport is partially encrypted, although I thought that Eurosport Germany in SD is still FTA?

Cheers,
    bb69

• Just as an update:
    I fitted the 65cm transparent dish and refitted the multi-LNB holder and set it pointing to 19.2e and almost immediately got signals on 28.2e and 13e. So I'm still not sure why I couldn't get decent signals on the 55cm dish!

I'm getting around 55%-60% signal quality on three satellites when it is focused on 19.2e, with the exception of Horse & Country and Challenge, which I'm only getting around 50%. Trouble is those are their favourite channels and I'm expecting a fair amount of rain fade!

Next job is to fit a Diseqc switch. Although I'm not entirely sure if their TV is Diseqc capable :-(

bb69

• Official Post

You mentioned "general direction of satellite", that may be your pitfall. The signal is reflected on the dish onto LNB. If the general direction of a satellite is left, the LNB will be moved to the right.

You should fie tune your dish so that you have the strongest signal on teh LNB nearest centre. Then adjust the rest. The LNBs should not be in a straight line, one end will be higher.

• You mentioned "general direction of satellite", that may be your pitfall. The signal is reflected on the dish onto LNB. If the general direction of a satellite is left, the LNB will be moved to the right.

You should fie tune your dish so that you have the strongest signal on teh LNB nearest centre. Then adjust the rest. The LNBs should not be in a straight line, one end will be higher.

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I did have my LNB's 'mirrored' i.e. 28.2e on the left when looking towards the dish. I didn't really play around with the level of the LNB's (if I remember rightly the Triax guide didn't suggest that the level of the LNB's were changed an awlful lot). I'll give that a go and report back.

I've currently got the dish pointed towards 19.2e, I've read that others have pointed their dish to a compromise point of around 25e and got satisfactory signals on both 28.2e and 19.2e, so I might give that a go as well.

bb69

• If you aim your dish towards 25° east then your going to hit problems with 13° east as this is the weakest link in the chain, both Astra 19.2° east and Astra2 28.2° east have far stronger signals in the UK than most of the DVB-S2 transponders on 13° east.

Personally if using the Triax bracket as this does not have a focal point LNB i would be more inclined to point the dish at around 16° east so that you have a far better signal on 13° east. The other 2 satellites should give you no problems as Astra2 28.2° east has the more recent brand new satellites positioned there.

• Thanks for the reply.

Having the dish centred on 19.2e is already giving poor quality (circa. 50%) on some 28.2e channels, so if I centred it on 16e, I suspect that the quality on those channels will reduce even more.
    An alternative is that I centre the dish on 23.5e, at least I'll be able to get one of the channels - Teleippica - that he wanted on 13e. If I'm able to get the other FTA sports channels on 13e, that will be a bonus.

BTW: For RACING FANS I notice that KingofSat has changed 'German Tote' to being FTA on 23.5e.

• I see your point as your only using a standard 65cm dish you maybe expecting a bit much, i know from experience that using the official Sky Zone2 60cm dish has better Multi-LNB potential due to its elliptical shape as it measures arond 55cm top to bottom but side to side is around 70cm making it an ideal solution for the 3 sats you mention.

You seem to be nearing an approximate point for reception on all 3 so i will wish you good luck with the final solution

Regards

• I see your point as your only using a standard 65cm dish you maybe expecting a bit much, i know from experience that using the official Sky Zone2 60cm dish has better Multi-LNB potential due to its elliptical shape as it measures arond 55cm top to bottom but side to side is around 70cm making it an ideal solution for the 3 sats you mention.

I didn't think about the dish I bought being 'vertical' (as apposed to a Sky dish being longest horizontally) being part of the problem. I'm not sure why Sky dishes are the eclipse shape, but the majority of after-market dish aren't?

I was going to have another go this weekend but (heavy) rain stopped play. I looked at some of the 28.2e channels with the weakest signals and they had gone completely. At least I now know that there is going to be rain fade pointing the dish at 19.2e and I need to centre the dish closer to 28.2e!

You seem to be nearing an approximate point for reception on all 3 so i will wish you good luck with the final solution

Any comments or suggestions still welcome. If they aren't appropriate for my circumstances, it might be useful for others in the future :-)

bb69

• You mentioned "general direction of satellite", that may be your pitfall. The signal is reflected on the dish onto LNB. If the general direction of a satellite is left, the LNB will be moved to the right.

I was just googling and came across this thread. Is that span in the picture possible, 4.8e to 42e?

General Satellite & Installation Support Forum

Support for LNBs, Single satellite, motorised and multi-satellite systems. DiSEqC switches, positioners, motors, actuators, dish-alignment help.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!