my fisrt 24 hours with a linux box

There are 12 replies in this Thread which was already clicked 1,013 times. The last Post () by cazuela.

• ok, found the forum a few days ago and decided to buy a vu+ solo2. The fun started last night when I got my box and I can tell you it was a lot of fun playing with it until 4am.

I'll post here some things I did that might help other people new to linux box hobby. Happy to share more details if anyone is interested.

What I have done so far:

1) turned on the box and had to figure out about which satellite to connect and some basic setup and explore some configuration menus and see the channels. This probably took me a few hours as most recent discussion don't do into very basic setup details.

2) I was trying to figure out how to install oscam and found the BlackHole 2.1.7 image in the forum with lots of extras and decided to give it a go - I'm glad I did - thanks mckee25 - worked perfectly for me

3) I decided to buy the box without HD because I have a NAS and I managed to connect it to the NAS and se the record function and EPG to the NAS - very cool - I cant even remember how late was this...

4) Then... I started to have fun with my *** card. Not going in to many details but my card was paired to my HD box and after a lot of researching I figured out I had to unpair it. I found in my attic a very old Grunding box (probably from the last tenant) and connected it to the power. The box is so old (10 digit serial) I thought it was not working - it took more than an hour for the power light to come on. Today I made the call to *** and paired my card to this analog box and I could finally watch the subscription channels on my vu solo2 (btw no need to add the boxid or boxkey - this was very unclear during my research because of very old and new comments on same posts). \o/
    5) Got my noip domain working and in sink to my local IP.

My next steps:

- My favorites are a mess - many channels are pointing to the wrong place and I have black screens - I have downloaded the latest Catseye E2 settings file and I'm trying to figure out how to install it do some cleaning up on what I have installed

- I need to setup my local oscan or cccam server to stream for other devices in my house. I want to try Amz Fire Stick and Xbox - not sure if it will work

- Configure the local Kodi - this shoould be easy as I have it already configured on other devices.

- can I get the hotbird from my dish (pointed to 28.2 E)? need to do more research on this as one of the channels my wife wants is on hotbird (also need to figure out what kind of subscription I need to watch it)

- try cardsharing - need to find a friend (or a beginner like me) to try this

- and last and more difficult task for the moment - teach the wife how to use the box.... this will surely take me some more days :)

Thank you all guys for the posts that helped me with my initial setup and will continue helping me on my new hobby.

all the best

• WOW i remember a lot of years ago my first 24 hours it made me pull every strand of hair out lol hence im bald lol but you have done great and in those days this great forum was not here to guide me so it was quite hard but you have done much better than i did --welcome to the great world of linux

Helping others is always a better feeling than helping yourself

• ok - favorites are fixed with Catseye, and very easy to install as the image I've used has a LinuxsatSupportAddons link in the green button - very handy - thanks again to the group

Kodi won't be as easy to configure as I thought as the drives I've created to remote folders will not install the addon packages - reading more but apparently the addons are not the same for E2

• Official Post

Go back to the linuxsat plugin and install from there....
    Please note you will need a mounted hard drive or at least usb stick as otherwise it will very quickly fill the root file of your solo2 with data......

• I don't have an HDD but I have the box connected to my NAS. The record and EPG are on the NAS as I can see the files in there. I probably need to figure out other things I can move to the NAS instead of using the internal memory. Any tips?

• Official Post

To be honest mate I think your nas drive is likly to be slow for anything useful. You can test it.... it may well be okay as the solo2 has gigabit network connection.
    You can also use a 2nd drive on the solo2 itself. Then you can move skins or plugins to it. I Personaly use a plugin called skin mover or you can create a swop file. It needn't be to big even a 16gb usb would be fine as your recordings and Timeshift go to the nas.

• Unless your NAS server is particularly slow or for some reason you have a very busy network, it should be fine. (Although you may need to fine tune the read/write settings.) I have an Amiko Alien2 with only a 100mbit interface and I run everything from my Linux server's NFS. I boot from and mount the NFS drive for my root filesystem as well as storage for recordings. I can record two HD channels and watch an HD recording at the same time (although I almost never do...) I did find however that NFS performed much better then CIFS, but that difference may not be so big with other stbs and different NAS boxes - you will have to test and see (if default settings seem slow.)

Also, I quite often watch recordings on other devices (PC, tablet or sometimes phone) so I watch them directly from the Linux server via CIFS. If you are interested in doing this, I wrote a post here about changing openwebif so it streams directly from NAS via CIFS instead of from stb.

• Not sure if its the best but Thats what I used for a long time, only problem is once you change the channel lists you need to start from 0...
    openwebif is another handy way but are restricted to using up one tuner or stuck within the same used transporter freq if only one tuner..
    on IPad for example , youve got dreamplayer,blackbox player ,vu+player...

VU+ SOLO 2 PVR Ready Linux Enigma2 Receiver Full HD 1080p

Download VUPlus Images and Enigma2 Team Support from Black Hole, OpenATV, OpenBH, Open Black Hole, OpenDroid, OpenESi, OpenHDF, OpenLD, OpenPLi, OpenSPA, OpenViX, Open Vision, PKT Hyperion, PurE2, SatDreamGR, VTi.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!