Boot Dreambox from anything - no BIOS change needed

There are 5 replies in this Thread which was already clicked 3,650 times. The last Post () by marinefish.

• so here we go:

As usual - if you chose to do it - do it at your own risk :smile:

NOTE - content of HDD/USB/CF will be erased and internal flash overwritten

what's needed:
    1) a storage device
    2) Telnet & FTP client's
    3) nfidump
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    1) boot your dreambox and connect via telnet
    2) check if storage is mounted and umount it (USB, MC, HDD)

a) print mount table: mount
    b) umount storage (anuthing pointing to your device /dev/sda* /dev/sdb* /dev/disk/...*):

umount /mnt/HDD /mnt/usb ...

3) create Linux partition via telnet:

a) fdisk /dev/sda
    b) print ( p ) partition table and clear it ( d )
    c) create partitions (as many as you like) 1 needs to be LINUX EXT3 or 4 (this post is based on 2 partition example)
    d) write config ( w )
    e) format partitions: mkfs.ext3 /dev/sda1 ( and 2)

4) mount formatted partitions:

a) create mount points (if not exist) mkdir /mnt/sda1 (and 2)
    b) mount /dev/sda1 (and 2) /mnt/sda1 (and 2)

5) copy your .nfi image to storage device (found copying to 2nd partition best) -- OpenATV 5.1 not working (/usr/bin/enigma2.sh: line 104: 2240 Segmentation fault) newnigma2 works perfectly

6) extract .nfi:

a) nfidump --overwrite /mnt/sda2/image.nfi /mnt/sda1

7) update boot directory

a) mount -o remount,rw /boot
    b) make a copy of boot directory (in case of rollback) cp -r /boot /mnt/sda2
    c) copy and overwrite the kernel cp /mnt/boot/vmlinux.gz /boot (or you can do it with FTP)
    d) update both autoexec*.bat to:

only line with root=/dev/ needs updating:

/boot/bootlogo-dm800se.elf.gz filename=/boot/bootlogo-dm800se.jpg
    /boot/vmlinux-3.2-dm800se.gz root=/dev/sda1 rootdelay=10 rw console=ttyS0,115200

NOTE: root=/dev/sda1 - change this to: root=/dev/whatever is your device where you extracted image...

8) reboot

9) the result:
    769c08969dd97.jpg

10) rollback

a) mount -o remount,rw /boot
    b) cp -r /mnt/sda2/boot/* /boot

Let me know if I missed anything...

Cheers

• Note: This is not a temporary change as you are overwriting files on the internal flash (step 7.) Also note, in case it is not obvious, that by changing partitions and formatting the drive, you will loose anything that was there...

Maybe you should add how to backup original files and a way to go back to normal booting from flash...

• Hi

can you tell me please which image you use for settings and in special for dm800se sim a8p which I must to use?

cheers

- - - Updated - - -

Hi,

I solve the problem. Finally my dm is booting from ssd. Thanks for your post kallisti .

all the best.

• mkfs

Hi

I divided SSD 120gig to 3 partitions, sda1(ext4)( for main image)-sda2(swap)-sda3(ext4)(extra capacity) & then copy extract nfi file of openATV 7.2 in sda1 partition & edit autoexe*.bat in boot folder to boot from sda1 finally I install SSD to internal dm800se but my dm could not boot from SSD, although I boot my dm by external USB by this way ( of course by adding a partition for boot image in fat 16 format ) , flash image is openatv 6.4 , how could you boot from internal SSD? Any help is greatly appreciated.

• Hi,

What I understood , you already boot from USB.The same procedure you must use for SSD. Do first internal flash with one image which can support to install the second image and then follow the steps as you done for usb. Partitioning for ssd at begining make only for one image, therefore create two partitions (first with 4gb and second with rest of ssd capacity). In second partition of ssd put nfi image which you like to use and following the above steps, install this image in first partion.

Cheers!

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!