Using NAS to record

There are 7 replies in this Thread which was already clicked 6,880 times. The last Post () by nyunyu.

• I've ordered a second Vu box so I thought its maybe time to take advantage of my NAS for shared recordings etc...

I've mounted the share to /media/net (//networkaddress/movie) and can see the dummy file therein if I view via telnet on the Vu box,

Problem is, when I change the recording path of 'default movie location' to /media/net/ and try and record a program it does nothing!

I get a system message saying 'In order to record a timer, the TV was switched to the recording service!'

No recording starts and my timer for said recording says 'waiting'

If I change the recording path back to the internal HDD, it works fine...

Anyone else using a NAS? Any tips? :haha:

• Have got this working in the Qbox HD Mini, don't own a VU box (yet:-)) but it should be quite similar to do - the following is how I did it on the Qbox so some of the options might be a bit different;

You need to go into the NAS server configuration, and configure it in 'mounts management' (green button) - by adding the new network point mount, activating, specifying a local share name - mount type (cifs if it is a windows type) enter the IP address of your shared LAN, then enter the name of the folder on the share. You then need to select 'yes' for use as HDD replacement, and has to be read and write (rw) on mount options.

One thing I want to point out is if you are plugging in a USB drive to your LAN that was previously used as your PVR drive direct in the the receiver, you will need to sort out the permissions, or it won't work. I did this with FileZilla - just right click the HDD folder and change attributes to 777.

If I take a while to respond, you can see why.....

:red:

• Ignore me...I swear I pressed 'apply' but obviously not ;)

Write permissions to the NAS directory weren't enabled correctly!

Current issue - When I click into recorded files, it still shows /hdd/movie as the location....how do you update that to point to the new dir? Symbolic link?

• Couldn't tell you - sure someone somewhere with a vu will know! - in my receiver - which is enigma2, it is under network configurqtion, nas server configuration, then green button for mounts management, and the option is there when adding a new or modifying an existing mountpoint.

If I take a while to respond, you can see why.....

:red:

• Couldn't tell you - sure someone somewhere with a vu will know! - in my receiver - which is enigma2, it is under network configurqtion, nas server configuration, then green button for mounts management, and the option is there when adding a new or modifying an existing mountpoint.

ah I see what you mean...I was using the mount wizard which seems to be entirely different! I'll have a play with that once I move my content off the HDD!

edit - pressing the PVR button twice allows you to alter the movie path location!

All sorted now...painless enough!

Now the fun begins....wonder what happens if my wife sets a recording downstairs and I set the same one upstairs :haha:

• I'm sorry to necro on this thread.
    I'm still having problem on setting up Vu+ Solo2 to record on my NAS. Searched everywhere but doesn't seems to have step by step guides.
    May I know if someone can help me with this?

So far I've mount my folder //192.168.1.123/volume1/video/myfolder to /media/net (some reason if I made mistake I couldn't delete it as it will make solo2 froze)
    but if I start recording to /media/net, it will only record to my internal flash memory and not to the network drive.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!