freeup unused RAM

There are 7 replies in this Thread which was already clicked 3,607 times. The last Post () by jolatacqce.

• I just found this solution to free up RAM and it has made a small difference:

in telnet type this command :

Code
    free

you will see how much is total and how much is being used in that moment.

then type this command:

Code
    echo 1 > /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches

lastly type the first command again :

Code
    free

and in my case the difference was minor but worth it.

• Did you notice a speed improvement? I would have thought dropping the cache would actually slow things down!

I have next to nothing free on my Ultimo but have no speed issues -

root@vuultimo:~# free
    total used free shared buffers
    Mem: 275108 270964 4144 0 10132
    Swap: 262140 0 262140
    Total: 537248 270964 266284
    root@vuultimo:~#

• In a word: NO ,,I havent noticed a difference, I found this info while looking for some way to free up the flash as there´s something amiss:

101mbs TOTAL
    86% in use

this is with just the clean image ,no addons,settings ,nothing but the image.

all suggestions welcome ;)

• In a word: NO ,,I havent noticed a difference, I found this info while looking for some way to free up the flash as there´s something amiss:

all suggestions welcome ;)

ah ok...your flash and ram are separate...

If its a totally clean image then its very strange...Any time I've had a full flash it was something i had installed!

One time though, a BH beta was using nearly all the flash for no reason so I removed it and waited for the latest release which was fine....you look like you're using 1.7.0 so it could be a bum install :-S

• ah ok...your flash and ram are separate...

If its a totally clean image then its very strange...Any time I've had a full flash it was something i had installed!

One time though, a BH beta was using nearly all the flash for no reason so I removed it and waited for the latest release which was fine....you look like you're using 1.7.0 so it could be a bum install :-S

but its not just the installation of the BH1.7.0. ,,since it had the vti 4 image(purely coincidental me thinks) is when I noticed less space(101mbs) before that was the usual 116mbs..
    so i´m looking for a way to recover those lost mbs... I´ve reflashed with original vu+ v6.0.0 before reinstalling the bh170..... of course another alternative is try out the VIX( finally before I get nagged anymore) to see if it is just a case of an image (in this case BH ) misreading the size...
    Of course ,as TEN mentioned , once you move to vix you don´t want to go back!!!!!!lol
    I think this could be interesting to see how other UNO owners view it..

• After having all the "usual plugins" it was running at 97% ,this is due to the missing mbs I think, ram is about 26%, all this with flashexpander and swapram!!! I made a full backup last night ,,I reflashed the uno with the full backup to check everything was working...looked at it again this morning and cams weren´t running ( oscam6221/CCcam213 ) and so had to backtrack all my steps,(luckily i had all captures to follow the steps)
    i´ve just flashed the same version ( bh1.7.0)again from another source but its still the same!!

• Using blk.hole2.1.5 on vu+duo, ram in use was 98%.I used the telnet instructions as outlined above by Cazuela and now the ram in use has been reduced to 70%.Just like to say Thank You to Cazuela for tthis useful post.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!