Dish Size increase if Multiswitch added to setup ?

There are 14 replies in this Thread which was already clicked 2,039 times. The last Post () by championc.

• Hi all,

We have a 1.8m dish in SE Spain pointing at 28.2e to get the UK spot beams. It is likely that some channel signals are around minimum levels. We now want to add more people to the system and so, the LNB will be swapped for a Quattro LNB and all connections will come off a multiswitch.

Given that the multiswitch will introduce additional losses, what size dish would be needed to cater for these additional losses. Would a 1.9m do or would the losses need something even bigger.

Many thanks

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

• Hi mate , you need Inverto Quad ULTRA L.N.B,and Labgear Enhanced Multiswitch dependent how many feeds you want ,

regards Nick

• I´d say you need bigger,,,,around Torrevieja area, the difference of a 1.9 pulls in everything except BBC/ITV hd and 2kms down the road a 2.8 is needed!!
    the combination of a multiswitch/ db booster means extra cable connections which is usually where a lot of signal is lost.
    ( check with the local expat sat installers would be your best bet)
    in Northern Spain and the difference between a 1 mtr to 120cms with motor + ultrablack quad is about 5 or 6 db
    ( this is a big difference in audio/video quality )
    Another thing to consider would be a lesser size dish facing 27.2º west would get some BBC/ITV HD ( check kingofsat for latest) ( to view these channels you´d need to set up an enigma box with openpli + bisskeys)
    Remember , anything bigger than a 1.9 dish requires local council permission.

• Many thanks for such concise information. This is for an apartment complex in Mojacar. One individual apartment got their own 1.8m dish installed and they have everything. There are currently a bunch of 1.2's with Quattro lnb's connected to multiswitch for all other apartments so the plan is to retain this kit and change the dish only. So with the knowledge that 1.8's work, we may just need to go with a single 1.9 to suck it and see.

The local Sat guys installed the 1.8 but they were the same people then quoting the need for 2.4's which seem totally crazy. Each current 1.2 has generally got either a 5x8 or 5x12 connected to it. From what I have seen, it seems that most multiswitch have roughly the same loss levels Irrespective of whether they are 5x8's or even 5x32's

What do you reckon ?

One individual apartment got their own 1.8m dish installed and they have everything.

¿ Everything?? Including BBC/ ITV/ BT sports HD ?? lucky sods!!
    If you could go and see/check for yourself the " everything"...

The local Sat guys installed the 1.8 but they were the same people then quoting the need for 2.4's which seem totally crazy

This could be due to the footprint changeovers or trying to "grab the golden goose"!!
    I have had many a good argument with " local installers" at my folks place in torrevieja over all sorts of previous mentioned.....
    Ex-pats who know how to squeeze pension money from innocent/ naive fellow expats or "native installers" who know nowt about European sats,etc..
    Hence the MAG boxes are very popular ( iptv payservers)..
    Take a look at this thread Thread: Andalucia channel check check Post #5 footprint map

• probably with a 1.8 you will get drop out of signal in the evening, or on rainy days, i live just outsid sevilla about as south as your location, and the signal from spot beam for the freesat channels is zero on any affordable dish, a 2.4 dish is mega you going to need a ton of concrete to hold it down on the coast , as cazuella mentions there is another easy option open at the moment for freesat at least

• As a matter of interest, which BBC or ITV channel would be the acid test of tests to prove that a 1.8m is indeed enough for a standard installation ?

I think many installers go with a size that they know work 100%. So you could have two neighbours reporting two totally different sizes as installed. All they can really go by is charts and sample installations.

I'm still stuck at my original position which is as to how much greater in size would someone reckon I need to cover the losses / noise level of a bog standard Multiswitch. By the sound of things, it seems like ot could be a very small difference so then a 1.9 should do the trick

• Use a Satellite Launch Amplifier just after the dish installation and then connect that to your Multiswitch, The launch Amp will take care of any .db loss you may encounter from the multiswitch thus negating a bigger dish install

• Use a Satellite Launch Amplifier just after the dish installation and then connect that to your Multiswitch, The launch Amp will take care of any .db loss you may encounter from the multiswitch thus negating a bigger dish install

Many thanks. That should hopefully work out ok, even if we go without one, we have the option so to add it later if it's needed.

General Satellite & Installation Support Forum

Support for LNBs, Single satellite, motorised and multi-satellite systems. DiSEqC switches, positioners, motors, actuators, dish-alignment help.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!