[HowTo] Assign Static IP Address In Ubuntu Linux

There are 10 replies in this Thread which was already clicked 2,495 times. The last Post () by babloo_66.

• Official Post

[HowTo] Assign Static IP Address In Ubuntu Linux

Via Terminal

Open network configuration file

Code
    $ sudo vi /etc/network/interfaces

OR

Code
    $ sudo nano /etc/network/interfaces

Find and remove dhcp entry:

Code
    iface eth0 inet dhcp

Append new network settings:

Code
    iface eth0 inet static
     address 192.168.1.100
     netmask 255.255.255.0
     network 192.168.1.0
     broadcast 192.168.1.255
     gateway 192.168.1.254

Save and close the file. Restart the network:

Code
    $ sudo /etc/init.d/networking restart

Via GUI

To get started, go to System –> Preferences –> Network Connections.

Then select Auth eth0 and click Edit.

Next, select ‘IPv4 Settings’ tab, and choose ‘Manual’ for Method. Click ‘Add’ to add your IP address information. Also enter your DNS servers addresses in the field shown. When finish click Apply to save.

• I did it by reserving a network ip address for the mac address of my linux server in my router, and from what ive seen it differs quite a bit depending on what router you are using, therefore if people wanted to use this method they would have to look dhcp reservation for thier router manufacturer (I did it this way, as I have reserved ip addresses for my Dream Box and Duo also, makes life easier when they always have the same local address).

I am not obligated, or connected to any particular brand, seller or retailer so any opinions given are not biased in anyway.
    Any information given is for hobby and research purposes only, and whilst every effort is made to ensure that all my responses are accurate, - Any action you may take based on my replies is done so at your own risk.
    Viewing Premium Channels or Media, without paying for them is illegal and if you do so, you do so at your own risk!

BpGgW.jpg

• Think I read that this way can cause problems when following tens tutorial . Think he said its better to go into router setting on pc and login and change ip that way .

• Think I read that this way can cause problems when following tens tutorial . Think he said its better to go into router setting on pc and login and change ip that way .

Depends on your circumstances, and reasons, the router method, varies for each different router manufacturer, but on the flip side, is platform independent, so regardless of whats on your network, using the router method will always be the same.

I am not obligated, or connected to any particular brand, seller or retailer so any opinions given are not biased in anyway.
    Any information given is for hobby and research purposes only, and whilst every effort is made to ensure that all my responses are accurate, - Any action you may take based on my replies is done so at your own risk.
    Viewing Premium Channels or Media, without paying for them is illegal and if you do so, you do so at your own risk!

BpGgW.jpg

• i done it the router way this time but will bear it in mind. fancy giving me a hand on the rest of the ununto 64 oscam setup,im upto omnikey part,ill meet you on that thread.

• Perhaps you could take the time to actually thank people for the help you have already received if it was not for people like myself,thatfellow and many many others on the forum who have taken the time to help you would be stuck,all we ask is for a simple thanks in return.This forum is about helping others thats how i got started with the help of more experienced people and i will always be appreciative of that.

Think I read that this way can cause problems when following tens tutorial

Following Tens tutorials will never cause problems m8, Without Ten's help and guidance I think a lot of people on here would still be scratching their heads (especially me, Keep up the excellent work Ten)
    I just found setting the Static IP address within the router less problematic because I am relatively new to Linux.

All your problems have been solved countless times before so try the search box before you post!!
    Please do not Request help by PM, use the main forum so Everyone can benefit from the answers.

• Your joking (andy ray) i sat last night in bed on my mobile and went through every single post and thanked you and others for all the great help,i even wrote about how you had linked into my pc and helped.
    Im not that type of person to not appreciate and no thank people especially the massive help you gave. so dont know what you mean????

(Yesterday, 11:46 PM thanks so much,fantastic tut fantastic support throughout completion, especailly towards the end with Andyray helping me bg time on Team Viewer, This forum rocks man. .The knowledge and pateince is unreal and like nothing ive experienced on other forums. )

• Im sure andy ray missed that post birdman m8, I took his main point as being everyone helping everyone..

This forum is about helping others thats how i got started with the help of more experienced people and i will always be appreciative of that

I can add that You thanked me everytime I helped you out...

All your problems have been solved countless times before so try the search box before you post!!
    Please do not Request help by PM, use the main forum so Everyone can benefit from the answers.

• cheers pal,feel really bad that he might think that i took the help and just forgot about it. he Used team viewer last night and jumped on finishing off my server. i still cant get it working but i think thats down to my lack of know how.

• eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr f8:a9:63:c5:ba:cb
    BROADCAST MULTICAST MTU 1500 METRIC: 1
    RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
    TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
    collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
    RX bytes:0 (0.0 B) TX bytes: (0.0 B)

lo Link encap: Local Loopback
    inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask: 255:0.0.0
    inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
    UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:65536 Metric:1
    RX packets:16 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
    TX packets:16 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
    collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
    RX bytes:1184 (1.1 KB) TX bytes:1184 (1.1 KB)

wlan0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 18:cf:5e:70:7e:2d
    BROADCAST MULTICAST MTU 1500 METRIC: 1
    RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
    TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
    collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
    RX bytes:0 (0.0 B) TX bytes: (0.0 B)

should I copy the coding and will that assign the static ip
    sorry for being a pain I just cant get a proper answer anywhere
    I just hope I haven't installed Ubuntu incorrectly cause I remember putting my wifi key in the the network connection
    and it wasn't connected via lan when installing cheers guys

• master G

Added the Label Article

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!