Enigma2 OpenVPN Guides and scripts

There are 157 replies in this Thread which was already clicked 39,557 times. The last Post () by Sateze.

• SufShark VPN added to the generator number 7

Please note for SurfShark you will need to visit https://account.surfshark.com/setup/manual goto step 2 and create credentials if not already there and use those credentials as username and password.

Once credentials are created you dont need to keep changing them

VPN,s supported so far

1) Nord VPN

2) IP Vanish

3) Digibit

4) PureVPN

5) PIA VPN

6) Windscrape

7) SurfShark

• Thanks Dsayers. I think I have missed a trick or 3. I downloaded and installed enigma2-plugin-extensions-vpnchanger_1.2.9_all.ipk. What that shows me is a very basic screen;- OpenVpn Status, Active Config, Vpn Check, Script. There are no numbers to choose from.

I don't suppose you have a step by step guide on how I can install Surfshark VPN on Zgemma? I would be really grateful having spend hours getting nowhere with OpenVPN and VPN Changer. Cheers.

• Running the script generated from the vpn generator should install all the configs for you.

New OpenVPN script generator

If using a Mac there are instructions at the end of the document for an alternative to Putty

First open Putty, and in the HostName (or IP address) box enter the enigma2 boxes IP address, and then click the Telnet radio button and click open

And then log in using the word, root

Users can now visit

http://e2openvpn.com/OpenVPN_Generator/

Add there username and password this will now generate a script.

Copy and paste the script in putty and hit enter you should now have the option for what VPN you want to use:

1) Nord VPN

2) IP Vanish

3) Digibit

4) PureVPN

5) PIA VPN

6) Windscrape

7) SurfShark

8) TorGuard

9) Ivacy

10) Quite

Choose your option and hit Enter this should then download the configs and once finished it will say OpenVPN Configs downloaded Please Start OpenVPN.

You will be asked to enter your choice again but you can ignore this.

Reboot box and goto plugins, VPN Changer and choose a country.

If using Mac

There is a version of Putty for Mac but is not very good.

Open Applications ->Utilities ->

Type the following command telnet 192.168.X.X (change the IP address to the one for the Zgemma/Enigma2 boxes)

Enter the username root (and password if you have set one) and press enter

Then follow the instructions above.

Problem 1,

When enabling OpenVPN I lose internet connection.

Possible Solution

Goto your network settings on box and change DHPC to no then blue button to Edit DNS

Try Google DNS

Nameserver 1 8.8.8.8

Nameserver2 8.8.4.4

• Hi Dave. I followed your instructions but no joy. I have even reinstalled Wooshbuild fresh, then followed your instructions. When I go to VPN Config Changer in Plugins after rebooting the box, there is no option to "choose a country". The basic menu is in German, and all you can do there is

1. Start/Stop OpenVPN
    2. Start/Stop Check VPN,
    3. Restart Network

When I try to Start OpenVPN, I get a message "OpenVPN could not be started", in German.

I have checked my network and I am connected. I even changed the Name servers as you suggested below, still won't work.

Nameserver 1 8.8.8.8

Nameserver2 8.8.4.4

I have tried everything possible. I have used the credentials from Step 2 on the Surfshark Site https://account.surfshark.com/setup/manual to generate the script at http://e2openvpn.com/OpenVPN_Generator/ but that doesn't make this work either. I am completely at a loss after at least 10 hours solid of trying. Time for white flag.

• Do you have a surfsharkvpn folder in media/hdd? if you do go into one of the folders and check auth.txt has the correct username and password.

If the above is correct in vpn changer press green then navigate to hdd folder highlight surfsharkvpn folder and press green to save then press ok on a country.

• Dave, I do not have a surfsharkvpn folder in media/hdd. There are onl2 2 files in that folder: movie & timeshift.

What I did was download the OVPN configuration file from Surfshark (the one closest to me - Manchester), saved that to hard drive, renamed to "client.conf (renaming "auth-user-pass" to "auth-user-pass password.conf") I also copied the username/password from surfshark and saved that as "password.conf. I then FTP'd both to etc/openvpn. When I follow your instructions above using Putty and OpenVPN Generator, everything disappears from the "etc/openvpn folder.

So I tried just following your instructions, only copying the passwords from step 2 in Surfshark. When the box is rebooted, it still won't work.

It seems I am missing a few steps here. I have tried everything, in multiple different ways, and still cannot get this to work. Additionally, I have had to fresh install Wooshbuild 5 times now as sometimes when I try to start OpenVPN, the box hangs and when I power off, the box gets stuck on 42% during boot up.

I can't believe how difficult setting up a Surfshark VPN on an Enigma2 box is proving. Hopefully they will come up with and IPK that will automate all of this, this is just plain crazy. I am sure it is something I am doing wrong, but what I have no idea.

• The script should download all the configs for you to media/hdd/surfsharkvpn.

It sounds like the script isn't downloading the configs for you. When I get chance I'll have a look but I don't have an account for SurfShark so I will just be testing to see if it downloads and edits them.

• Dave, I do not have a surfsharkvpn folder in media/hdd. There are onl2 2 files in that folder: movie & timeshift.

What version of Openatv are you using and install date? You should be able to find out from menu, information, about

I'm using openvix 5.2.045

I don't have a login for SurfShark but I have ran the script with a random username and password. It downloaded all the configs to media/hdd/surfsharkvpn then edited all configs aswel as adding my random username and password in auth.txt.

When running the script does it give any errors when downloading or unzipping the zip file?

I'm looking for something like this

f351818bdd0f19ae1abf8.jpg

• Hi Dave. I am using OpenATV 6.2 (Wooshbuild Infinity) I installed fresh versions last night (at least 6 times. Trying to sort this out resulted in me messing up something, so my box would not load, hence having to reinstall so many times...until 4 a.m..)

I noticed sometimes when following your instructions that the media/hdd/surfsharkvpn folder was visible via Filezilla, but the folder was empty. Media/hdd/surfsharkvpn appears when I install your script, but after I reboot the box, it is gone. I will try and copy the log when I run the script with Putty and post it here (probably tomorrow after work). I can tell you that I did not see the above "inflating various OVPNs" at all. In fact, there were 2 errors toward the end of the script, something about couldn't find files or something. I'll update here with the log as soon as I can. Thanks for your support here Dave.

• SUCCESS!!!!!!!!

After all of that, I discovered the issue was simply down to a bad USB stick. Unbelievable. That is why the errors were coming up at the end of the Putty line. It was trying to save to disc space that didn't exist, because the USB could not be read.

As a last chance saloon, I replaced my USB with a newly formatted USB, followed your instructions and within 10 minutes, voila!!

Dave you are a life saver. Even if my USB had worked from the start, there is no way I would have got this done without your support, so a big thanks again for everything!

• I spoke too soon. I have Surfshark installed, and it connects to various country servers. The problem is, it is SLOW, MEGA SLOW. A speed test shows a maximum of 1.8 Mbits/sec when connected to the fastest server, and >30Mbits/sec when not connected via the VPN at all. I have tried this speed test many times. Rebooted my Superhub 3 router, rebooted the Zgemma H2 box, but when connected via VPN, the max download I get is 1.8 Mbits/sec, 1.2 Mbits/sec upload. IPTV is unwatchable. I am using the Nameserver details below:

Nameserver 1 8.8.8.8

Nameserver2 8.8.4.4

I have online chatted surfshark support, they were unable to remedy or provide any suggestions other than to "reboot router". Does anyone know what could cause a VPN connection to slow down like this? Just FYI, I have the surfshark VPN app running on my PC and that is pretty fast, easily downloas >30Mbits/sec. But installed in the Zgemma box and it is snails pace.

• thanks , great job

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!