New virtual keyboard Plugin with windows layout

There are 137 replies in this Thread which was already clicked 24,896 times. The last Post () by SunnyV.

• No ipk release from me ...

anybody could make ipk please

Its easy to make IPK but control file no problem but preinst and prerm just the check for SubsSupport as it copies subtitles.py to /usr/lib/enigma2/python/Plugins/Extensions/SubsSupport folder to enable newvirtualkeayboard support in Subsupport plugin.

But even if I did manage to get it working I would not post without permission from fairbird.

• fairbird , can newvirtualkeyboard not read existing settings from /etc/enigma2/settings file.

what I mean is everytime I install it I have the run it and change Text input method-keyboard from image virtual keyboard to new virtual keyboard and save settings.

• 1-What settings you are meaning exactly ?!! Because with me no problem if I enable newvirtualkeyboard and change some plugin settings. I getting same settings after new online update. Without need again to choose settings.

2-Did you test plugin on other images ?!! or just on one image ?!! maybe the issue from image ?! What is your device and which image your are using ?!!

• 1-What settings you are meaning exactly ?!! Because with me no problem if I enable newvirtualkeyboard and change some plugin settings. I getting same settings after new online update. Without need again to choose settings.

2-Did you test plugin on other images ?!! or just on one image ?!! maybe the issue from image ?! What is your device and which image your are using ?!!

no sorry using openatv7.3 i meant when using flashonline with restore settings i install from myrestore.sh script

i,e,

# Install NewVirtualKeyBoard

wget https://raw.githubusercontent.com/fairbird/NewVirtualKeyBoard/main/installer.sh -O - | /bin/sh

• Did you mean ?!! Create backup of image and then flash it again ?!! If YES then should be no problem with old setting for newvirtualkeyboard !!

If you mean to do online update for image such as enigma2 .. Yes you need to setup the newvirtualkeyboard settings again because enigma2 update remove old symlink of virtualkeyboard and install original virtualkeyboard.pyc file again ... And nothing can be done about this through the plugin !!

• fairbird urie is basically saying he has his own scripts for restoring everything when he reflashes.
    He would like to request that some of the settings in this get stored in etc/enigma2/settings file

I have not looked at this plugin for a while, so I don't know where the settings are saved.

** A person who feels appreciated will always do more than what is expected **

• Did you mean ?!! Create backup of image and then flash it again ?!! If YES then should be no problem with old setting for newvirtualkeyboard !!

If you mean to do online update for image such as enigma2 .. Yes you need to setup the newvirtualkeyboard settings again because enigma2 update remove old symlink of virtualkeyboard and install original virtualkeyboard.pyc file again ... And nothing can be done about this through the plugin !!

yes thats what i mean but there is also another problem how do you unninstall it even if you manually delete

Code
    usr/lib/enigma2/python/Plugins/SystemPlugins/NewVirtualKeyboard

and reboot gui then you just end up with openatv boot screen so you need to reinstall NewVirtualKeyboard via putty.

also when I reinstalled it after trying to manually delete it I noticed setting file entries changed from

Code
    config.NewVirtualKeyBoard.firsttime=False
    config.NewVirtualKeyBoard.keys_layout=00000809
    config.NewVirtualKeyBoard.lastsearchText=percy jackson
    config.NewVirtualKeyBoard.textinput=NewVirtualKeyBoard

to

Code

so then you need to run plugin to setup keyboard again and reboot so is this when it also makes symbolic link

• fairbird urie is basically saying he has his own scripts for restoring everything when he reflashes.
    He would like to request that some of the settings in this get stored in etc/enigma2/settings file

I have not looked at this plugin for a while, so I don't know where the settings are saved

I think this is the settings stored in etc/enigma2/settings file

Code
    config.NewVirtualKeyBoard.textinput=NewVirtualKeyBoard
  • Ok I just had a read through the code to see what its doing.

Basically when you first run virtualkeyboard, it creates a symlink in
    /usr/lib/enigma2/python/Screens

that references the virtualkeyboard in this plugin
    /usr/lib/enigma2/python/Plugins/SystemPlugins/NewVirtualKeyBoard

So setup is always going to have to run first.

And you are always going to have to remember to turn it on

Code
            py_link = ("/usr/lib/enigma2/python/Screens/VirtualKeyBoard.py")
            if not os.path.islink(py_link):
                config.NewVirtualKeyBoard.textinput.value = "VirtualKeyBoard"
                config.NewVirtualKeyBoard.textinput.save()
            else:
                config.NewVirtualKeyBoard.textinput.value = "NewVirtualKeyBoard"
                config.NewVirtualKeyBoard.textinput.save()

Could it be done differently so it creates the symlink in plugin.py instead of the setup page if this value exists in settings file.

config.NewVirtualKeyBoard.textinput.value = "NewVirtualKeyBoard"

Maybe. Probably only a little extra code.

But most people don't do what you do urie.

• Another way it could be done is like what I do for my movieplannermod.
    You import the original virtualkeyboard file. Overwrite it on the fly with the newvirtualkeyboard code. (conditionally if the settings value is "NewVirtualKeyboard")

Then no need for symlinks or backups of the original files.

I will see if I have time to have a play with this method.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!