FTP/transfer epg.dat via cron

There are 10 replies in this Thread which was already clicked 1,777 times. The last Post () by frank087234.

• Hi, looking for options to see if this is possible to FTP/transfer epg.dat via cron.

I've two boxes running openvix on my home network.

Box 1 has sat and Internet connection.

Box 2 only has Internet only.

My channels are a mix of sat and IPTV.

My objective is to get my epg data onto box 2 via cron, or other.

On box 1, I've the epg setup to update channels via dbv satellite.

Box 2 doesn't have sat connection, so what I'm thinking, is to simply try to routinely pickup the epg.dat from box 1, and FTP/transfer it to box 2.

Then I'd import the epg.dat nightly on box 2.

Does openvix allow me to do run scripts that can be executed via cron?

Thanks,

Darren.

• Thanks Ian, never looked into that before.

Ok so i have box 1 HDD network now mounted, it can be seen from box 2 via network browser.

So how exactly do I set box 2 to pull in the epg.dat from box 1?

Or is the network mount to be set as "HDD Replacement" on box 2?

Thanks

• Firstly its never a good idea to have EPG data or Picons saved to any HDD because then it can never go into sleep mode. USB is better.

You have to setup the CrossEPG storage location on box 2 to read the .dat file from that location. As long as everything's mounted correctly and you are now sharing the HDD with both boxes, ie you can play movies saved on it by box 1 on box 2 then once CrossEPG is configured the EPG will just appear. If everything's mounted correctly, CrossEPG should just offer you the box 1 HDD to use as its Dat File location. Box 2 may need a reboot though after you configure CrossEPG on it.

It would be better to have set it as HDD Replacement, if box 2 doesnt have its own HDD.

• Thanks.

I have went through all the options on CrossEPG, but there is no option for setting the .dat at a network location?

• I suppose it may depend upon your CrossEPG version then inside your image. Other versions are available on the GitHub.

Mines 0.8.6 running in OpenATV

However, it is also possible these options are only presented to you if alternative storage device locations are detected and are present. Perhaps someone else can confirm this ?

If this is the case, then you have not mounted your box 1 HDD correctly as its not being detected by CrossEPG.

Also I've never tried that Skin and that may not have the ability to show all options ?

But this option is deffo there when everything is setup correctly.

• Official Post

Firstly its never a good idea to have EPG data saved to any HDD because then it can never go into sleep mode. USB is better.

This is incorrect. EPG data is held in RAM. The storage device is only used at startup, graceful shut down/restart or manual saving/loading.

Vix allows usage of remote locations for EPG data file. Rob is a user of this function and has detailed it in the Vix manual. I don't use the function, so cant help. This was coded before ATV forked E2, so it should also work on ATV.

Thirdly, I am pretty sure that lamedb is used for EPG allocation. So make sure you import it and reload services/bouquets

• This problem only occur with openvix.. No storage device option found... Strange

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!