Alert per freeze

There are 8 replies in this Thread which was already clicked 746 times. The last Post () by Burroughs.

• Buona serata a tutti!

In questi giorni di forzata inattività, sto smanettando per sistemare un avversario ostico, il mio Zgemma H7S, cercando di addomesticarlo il più possibile.

Come già successomi con uno Zgemma H2, anche questo freeza di tanto in tanto, per cui , per risolvere il problema, da un lato ho implementato uno script che mi segnala quando questo avviene, inviandomi una email (in pratica il mio Raspberry Pi, se non riesce a pingare il decoder, mi manda un messaggio), dall'altro sto cercando di forzare il dispositivo a riavviarsi, quando succede una cosa del genere.
    Avevo preparato uno script, testato con successo, il quale forza il riavvio del decoder quando questo non riesce più a pingare il router...
    Il problema, però, è che, quando lo Zgemma è in freeze, riesce comunque a comunicare con la rete locale, in primis il router, mentre diventa inaccessibile dall'esterno.
    Per semplificare, il decoder pinga il router, dal mio PC, invece, non riesco né a pingarlo né a stabilire alcun tipo di connessione.
    Ora, la mia domanda era: come faccio a "triggare" un evento del genere e a passarlo allo script???
    Any ideas???

• How do you know the box can still ping the router when it's frozen? Do you see the traffic?

What seems to happen on these boxes, si that they run out of memory, and then you can't even exec() anything, so your script probably wouldn't be able to run anyway.

To try and avoid freezes due to running out of memory, I've an hourly crontab entry that calls the following:

sync && echo 3 > /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches

• Hi, oottppxx and thanks for replying.
    I'm quite sure the decoder can still interact with the LAN because I've set up a simple script which forces it to reboot in case it's not able to ping its own router.
    The script has been inserted in my crontab list, of course.

• But if the box freezes due to out of memory, the script won't even run, so... :-]

• Well, just a couple of hours ago the decoder froze again...
    Honestly speaking, I was confident about this new "script", but it seems like there's nothing to do.
    No logs have been produced, of course...
    Considering I'm experiencing the same kind of issue on a second decoder, always with OpenATV on, I'll test another image...
    Quite frustrating, though...

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!