Sky+ HD, but better?

There are 11 replies in this Thread which was already clicked 2,169 times. The last Post () by abu baniaz.

• Hi all

Want to get rid of Sky and happy with Freesat channel offerings. If I do, would want a box that can :

* Record at least 4 programs and watch a 5th as a recording (or any combination of this arrangement.

* Have a 7 day EPG

* Be able to do series link recordings

* Be able to watch the box output on another non smart TV in another room

* Be able to control the box from the other room

* After set up, needs to be easy to use.

Any thoughts please on which box is able to do all that.

Thanks in anticipation

Ben

• Official Post

To get at least 4 recordings, then you need either a box with 4 tuners or a box with FBC tuners

Boxes with 4 tuners dont seem to be made any more.....and FBC tuners require the correct LNB fitted to you satellite dish

A hard drive

The advantage of a FBC tuner is the typically offer the equivalent of 8 normal tuners and you only need one cable from your dish to the tuner.

7 day Epg is easy with various plugins

there is auto timers to do "series link"

* Be able to watch the box output on another non smart TV in another room

* Be able to control the box from the other room

There is various ways to do this, either via android apps or another enigma2 box, either way you will require an addition to the not so smart TV

Check out the sponsor store, below is a box i would consider good for your requirements

https://www.world-of-satellite…us-uno-4k-se-fbc-dvb-s-s2

The second device for the other TV can be a cheap android or enigma2 device as a tuner will not be required on that

• Thanks for coming back with a very comprehensive response.

However I'm slightly confused by the suggestion that I may need to change the LNB.

The current one is a standard quad Sky TV LNB with 2 cables going to my Sky HD box.

Just need clarification on this point if anyone knows for sure.

Re the 2nd device for the other TV, would I be correct in assuming that something similar to an Amazon Fire stick would do the job?

Thanks

Ben

• A selection of enigma2 boxes now come with 2 satellite tuners (make sure they are 2 sat tuners though and not cable or terrestrial tuners if you want to use your sat dish)

Aim to get a quad core box though. Plugins and IPTV are requiring more power than older duo core and single core boxes

2 tuners means you can safely watch and record 2 different programs at the same time

To confuse things further, you can in theory record as many channels as you want if they are on the same transponder. i.e bbc1, bbc2. But also recording say ITV will be on a different transponder so classed as a different record and another tuner needed.

Their are android apps that can be used by firesticks to access your new enigma2 boxes channels. If they not on amazon store you might need to sideload it onto firestick.

An example app is dream player. But if you go on google playstore and type in enigma2 you will find lots of alternatives.

When you stream to another device. i.e firestick, again that requires a free tuner unless you zap to the same channel on your enigma2 box

I will further add, to receive encrypted channels, you will need to pay for a subscription. Though you wont get the main channels like, sports, movies and some documentaries.
    If using IPTV to get other channels, these usually only come with 1 max user, possibly 2. So you wont be able to multiple record IPTV channels.
    But if you are just happy with freesat channels no need to worry about other options

** A person who feels appreciated will always do more than what is expected **

• Hi jenseneverest,

Thanks for providing all of that information! I'm in the same boat as the OP, want to replace a sky Q box with something better.

I just wanted to know how I could check if the current LNB I have supports FBC?

Also for that box you linked to which OS would you recommend? Can it support IPTV?

Thanks!

• Thanks Linesman,

Would you be able to recommend a LNB and receiver that would be a suitable replacement for Sky Q?

I'm very new to this area but want to get stuck in

• Official Post

Would this LNB do the job with the box linked above

That LNB you linked is just a standard/universal model.

If the box you are going for is the vu uno 4k se, you need a Unicable LNB if you want to make the most of the FBC Tuner.

https://www.world-of-satellite…e-lnb/gt-sat-unicable-lnb

GT-Sat GT-dLNB1DY and tuner configuration

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!