DIVX/AVI Playback ON DM800 Tutorial

There are 16 replies in this Thread which was already clicked 225 times. The last Post () by linux4.

• 1. First you need to install VLC on your PC, use the latest version here

HERE

2. Start the install of VLC but make sure you install it under the Full install option.

3. After the VLC install has complete we need to add some extra info for this to work.

4. Right click the VLC icon on your PC desktop and select properties. Now in the target field add this --intf wxwin --extraintf=http to the end of the line you already have. It should look like this

"C:\Program Files\VideoLAN\VLC\vlc.exe" --intf wxwin --extraintf=http

Apply this!

5. Now on your PC start the VLC Player, i do this via the PC start menu. Just minimise VLC to the task bar.

6. We now need to setup the VLC front end on you 800. To do this go to the plugins menu of your 800 and start the VLC Video Player.Then press add server. Setup as follows.

Server Name: Server 1

Enter VLC-Server as FQDN or IP-Address: IP-ADDRESS

Server Address: put in your PC's IP address 192.168.1.***

HTTP Port: 08080 Leave as is

Movie Directory: C:/ (use any directory you like on your PC)

DVD Device: Leave as is

Transcode MPEG/DVD Video: YES

Video Codec: MPEG2

Video Bitrate: 2000

Video Resolution: Leave as default for testing or setup to suit you tv.

7. Press the green button to save the details you have entered.

8. Now for testing i advise you lower and firewalls you have on your PC.

9. Now make sure you have a divx or avi movie on your directory.

10. Select the VLC Player plugin highlight the server you just created and press the ok button to start it. You should now see your PC's directory on the left scroll to the Movie and play.

Settings the you can play with to achieve optimal performance are.

Video Bitrate:

Video Resolution:

Overscan Correction:

Audio Codec.

Have fun!

• I have been toying with this for a while now, I can see the list of movies but when i try to play one the whole box just freezes, This is with or without firewall Enabled, The network is obviously fine as is the filepath Im just a bit stumped now, any advice

• Gemini ? Enigma that sound right m8 ? yes I am indeed a nub.
    Downloaded VLC onto the box and rebooted it etc.
    When i run VLC on the PC it doesnt actually start up a VLC window but in task manager i can see its running in the background.
    Running Win 7 32 bit

• i have done all this yet when i try to play video i just get black screen ,, i have got dream elite image v3,,,, any ideas ,,,thanx

• Try adjusting the settings as shown in the guide, if that fails try an older version of vlc on your pc, i have read of comparability issues with some newer ones although there are newer images released wiith a fix for this.
    I have used this on open pli, dreamelite phoenix & icvs images on the 800 without any problems.

• Try adjusting the settings as shown in the guide, if that fails try an older version of vlc on your pc, i have read of comparability issues with some newer ones although there are newer images released wiith a fix for this.
    I have used this on open pli, dreamelite phoenix & icvs images on the 800 without any problems.

i have tried changeing settings tried older version of vlc, now when i scroll down left hand column to movie i press ok on remote and dreambox crashes,,, i am using dreamelite phoenix v3,,,,,,,,,,,,, thanx

• The most stable version, or at least the most successful version of VLC for this sort of thing is VLC 0.86 (my opinion anyway)

If you want to try that, you can download it from here:

Code
    http://download.cnet.com/VLC-Media-Player/3000-2194_4-10616360.html
  • Sorry to hear that mate, dreamelite phoenix 76C sim 201 is what i used and never had a problem, so if you have followed the guide exactly i am afraid all i can suggest is a reflash unless anyone else has another solution.

i am using dreamelite phoenix 82 sim 201,,,,,,,,,,, thanx

• tried 0.8.6i and no joy tried lots of other versions still no joy , i can see the avi files down the left side but when i scroll down and press ok my dreambox either crashes or i get black screen, will try some more untill i lose the will to live,,,,,,,, thanx for all the help ,,,, my image is dreamelite 1.33d v3 if it matters ,,,,,, thanx

• I'm having this same problem.... I can see the videos from my vlc server pc but when i try to play one it goes to green screen and crashes then when the box comes back on my media server has been deleted from the list in vlc plugin, I am using OpenPLi-2.1-beta-dm800-20120128-sim201-ssl84b and VLC 1.0.3, even tried reflashing and still no joy.... If anyone knows how to fix this please let me know.... Thanks

• Ok so i got it going. For anyone having the same problem i suggest using merlin 3 image... Worked first time for me along with VLC 1.0.5, i installed vlc (making sure to select full install) then selected Tools - Preferences - Inputs & Codecs and set server default port to 8080 then saved these settings, Next select View - Add Interface - Web Interface, Now Minimize VLC (Do Not Close It)
    Now download VLC plugin for your box and open it. Press green to add server, Name it whateve you want e.g. MyPC, then add VLC server PC IP and ok save,

I just have one small probem where the video seems to be struggling to play, its just slightly freezing and its worse when i try play blueray rips.

What is the best settings to use so it will stream ok??

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!