netbook as a server

There are 17 replies in this Thread which was already clicked 738 times. The last Post () by jimmychen.

• A netbook is just a small laptop so everything will work accordingly - I used to have a very old EEE PC netbook (one of the first ever netbooks) running a server - I didn't use it with a cardreader as I used an Nline from my receiver, but 100% will be fine with a smargo without needing powered hub. If you need to use a hub to have more than one device on a single USB, then you will probably need a powered hub, but if it is the only device you need in a particular USB port then straight in the port will be fine - USB is designed as such to be universal and should always have the power needed to run devices.

If I take a while to respond, you can see why.....

:red:

• Thanks all for the replies
    The reason i asked was in the past i tried setting up an old laptop i have, it refused to boot with the smargo plugged in directly and had to be run through a powered hub.
    The netbook worked without a prblem, no errors , just booted straight up.

110cm Triax Dish multi arm 13,16,19, 23, 28 east fixed 90cm thor

• Thanks all for the replies
    The reason i asked was in the past i tried setting up an old laptop i have, it refused to boot with the smargo plugged in directly and had to be run through a powered hub.
    The netbook worked without a prblem, no errors , just booted straight up.

That will be your settings m8. When you power on the laptop go into set up and change the 1st boot device to the hard drive. That should sort it because boot priority will be looking for a usb device, it finds it but can't boot because nothing is on it.

• hi m8,is your netbook server running ok,have been trying for days to get one sorted.install of debian on mine seems fine,but no matter which method of installing CCcam i use,the server only runs for about 5 mins,then goes offline,its unreachable by telnet,ftp or webinfo.i can try to restart CCcam manually on the netbook screen,the system isnt frozen,but does nothing.the netbook just seems to be offline.any help you or anyone else can offer much appreciated.

• Ubuntu 10.04.4 Server edition without a gui was recommended to me for this purpose, perhaps this might work better for you?

I am not obligated, or connected to any particular brand, seller or retailer so any opinions given are not biased in anyway.
    Any information given is for hobby and research purposes only, and whilst every effort is made to ensure that all my responses are accurate, - Any action you may take based on my replies is done so at your own risk.
    Viewing Premium Channels or Media, without paying for them is illegal and if you do so, you do so at your own risk!

BpGgW.jpg

• just tried 10.04.4 and i cant get passed it asking for drivers for cd rom which obviousley i dont have.
    using unetbootin to create the usb.
    will give 12.04 a try .

• sorry in the delay, yes the netbook ran fine on debian 6 wit no issues, if your server is dropping off line i would check you dont have an ip conflict on your network, or you have definitely got the dns right etc when running the cccam install script.

110cm Triax Dish multi arm 13,16,19, 23, 28 east fixed 90cm thor

• no when it gets to the stage where it detects network device,and offers the option to choose the wireless or wired option,it goes red screen and asks for aditional drivers.like it does the cdrom when i used unetbootin to set up the usb.
    very frustrating,ive had a desktop running cccam and newcs for over 3 years now without a murmur.

• yes universal usb installer can do the job on pc without cd reader.
    but on eepc difficult tu install ubuntu server ubuntu deck instead can be installed even a normal distro not a distro for eepc

• ok,using the guide i mentioned above,ive made a lot of progress.got cccam running and oscam reading my card.was crashing after few minutes and updated oscam and getting a few hours running until crash.

problem is,i can cause a crash by trying to use oscam webif,or trying to access /usr/bin by ftp.once its crashed the system can no longer be seen on the network,telnet and ftp can not access the server.yet i can still use the netbook keyboard so its not totally frozen.is there a known reason why certain actions crash the server?

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!