Folder Locking

There are 6 replies in this Thread which was already clicked 1,012 times. The last Post () by mrgmx.

• I've searched for this and couldn't it posted, apologies if I've missed it. Does anybody know if it's possible to lock (or password protect) a folder on the HD ?

• You can do it either my right clicking and going to properties but then it would depend on the access level of the other person your locking it from, or you can use other software, alternatively you can keep it on a usb drive.

If your looking for software to do it for you -

Code
    http://www.cnet.com/topic-software/folder/password/security.html

/ There may be paid software that does it better, but even if there was, I wouldn't be allowed to post it.

and Steve.... the forum rules, say that you should introduce yourself before making other posts :)

EDIT: I didnt realise the question was directed at a satbox, you can chmod the folder via ftp assuming the other users would access the box via different usernames.

I am not obligated, or connected to any particular brand, seller or retailer so any opinions given are not biased in anyway.
    Any information given is for hobby and research purposes only, and whilst every effort is made to ensure that all my responses are accurate, - Any action you may take based on my replies is done so at your own risk.
    Viewing Premium Channels or Media, without paying for them is illegal and if you do so, you do so at your own risk!

BpGgW.jpg

• I would assume there is a Linux program, but Linux isnt my strong point, try googling something like 'linux restrict access to folder'

I am not obligated, or connected to any particular brand, seller or retailer so any opinions given are not biased in anyway.
    Any information given is for hobby and research purposes only, and whilst every effort is made to ensure that all my responses are accurate, - Any action you may take based on my replies is done so at your own risk.
    Viewing Premium Channels or Media, without paying for them is illegal and if you do so, you do so at your own risk!

BpGgW.jpg

• Steve,

Not sure whether this will work for box but should do.......You have a couple of options either

Zip the file/folder with a password

You can password protect a zip file. Proceed as follows:
    Create a directory for this experiment, and name it test.
    Copy a few files and paste them into this directory so it isn’t empty.
    Now open a terminal and enter:

zip -e -r /home/Desktop/newtest /home/Desktop/test

Enter password:
    Verify password:

Now you have a file newtest.zip which is password protected. (you can/could delete test)

zip with -e option encrypts the contents of the zip archive using a password.

This encrypts with standard pkzip encryption which is considered weak.
    However, the job of protecting the file is done, because even the root user needs
    the password or should be a hacker to decrypt.

To unzip that same folder issue the command:

unzip <Directory_Name>.zip

You will then be prompted for the same password you gave for the encryption.
    Once you successfully enter the password the file will be unzipped.

Or alternatively You can change the folder's permissions so no user other than root can
    access the files inside:

Code:
    chmod 600 /path/to/folder

Then set the owner as root (if not already).

Code:
    chown root:root /path/to/folder

This will set your folder so that all user accounts on the local machine are
    denied access to the folders contents, except for the root account.

Hope it helps, but i just see Ten in here so he may help further lol

lssdalogo.png

"Don't Gain The World & Lose Your Soul, Wisdom Is Better Than Silver Or Gold"
    “Herb is the healing of a nation, alcohol is the destruction”

• Thanks for these suggestions, I'll give them a try. I assume this would need to be carried out via telnet sessioins, I was rather hoping there was something I could use from the armchair, similar to parental control on channels.

• That's all i knew off hand mate,
    Give it a while someone may add/suggest something else!
    A tool or add-on

Haven't really had a need for this as yet lol
    But Yes would be via telnet

lssdalogo.png

"Don't Gain The World & Lose Your Soul, Wisdom Is Better Than Silver Or Gold"
    “Herb is the healing of a nation, alcohol is the destruction”

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!