A discussion for the sponsor WOS

There are 5 replies in this Thread which was already clicked 733 times. The last Post () by abu baniaz.

• I have been seriously considering one of the VU+ receivers for quite awhile. I've even contacted World of Satellite by email.

There seems to be a lack of details in the pluggable tuner selections. And I would ask of the staff or forum members if they could provide a bit of information.
    Number one is the numerous pluggable tuners offered for the different receivers. I am not sure if VU+ has engineered a standard socketing scheme so that many different tuners will fit in their receivers. Or not.

With blindscanning being very important. And discovering that FBC tuners will not allow a receiver to perform them. Those tuners are out of the selection.

World of Satellite. I have asked you for detailed information for the different tuners offered for your higher end VU+ satellite receivers. Numerous times. To no avail.

Even your Octagon SF8008 receiver specifications section lists the tuner/demodulator as:

DVB-S2X: Silabs Si2166-D60 & RDA5815m
    Probably a perfectly performing tuner for blindscanning, considering Silabs track record. Or as in the Edision Os Mio4k, an Avialink AVL6261. An excellent tuner for the purpose.

It appears as if your specifications pages are printed straight from the manufactures supplied literature.
    The main chipset types. Broadcom. Are listed. But nothing on what is contained in A vs B tuner selections.

In an Enigma 2 receiver it is easy enough to find the box information. And surely you folks must have a few laying around in operation.
    In the box information it should display exactly what tuenr/demodulator chips are in the pluggable tuner currently installed in them.

You have to agree that some very important details are missing. And something that WOS staff should readily be able to tell a potential customer.

The cost of a higher end receiver and shipping. Plus duties and the fact that by the time I received one from you. The return policy would have expired.
    Possibly with deficiencies such as poor or no blindscanning being discovered upon delivery.

Perhaps users of different VU+ receivers. The VU+ Duo 4k SE catching my eye. With "My Choice of Tuners". Making the incorrect choice being on my shoulders.

Could some of you guys reply with what model number, type of tuner chipsets are in the tuner you have. Please. FBC is out 100%,
    And your opinion of the blindscanning performance. Better if you have a different brand of receiver to compare with. Again. Please.

One last thing if I may. What exactly is the purpose of the TPM chip in the VU+ receivers? Others don't seem to have a need for one.
    This puzzles me something fierce.

I appreciate World of Satellite reading this post to see if in the future more detailed information could be supplied in a receiver or peripheral's specifications.
    It would clear up an issue I have of being a big warehouse with boxes and boxes ready to ship. But not knowing anything of the product you vend.

• Official Post

The only recent highend Vu+ that is going to be able to perform blindscan is the Ultimo 4K. It also has the old style connection on motherboard so that you can use the older tuners from the Uno, Ultimo, Solo SE, Solo SE2, Duo2. Solo 4K also has the legacy connector.

Duo 4K, Duo 4K SE, Uno 4K, Uno 4k SE only have the FBC/MTSIF connections.

• The only recent highend Vu+ that is going to be able to perform blindscan is the Ultimo 4K. It also has the old style connection on motherboard so that you can use the older tuners from the Uno, Ultimo, Solo SE, Solo SE2, Duo2. Solo 4K also has the legacy connector.

Duo 4K, Duo 4K SE, Uno 4K, Uno 4k SE only have the FBC/MTSIF connections.

Thank you. Looked up the acronyms and came up with tuners for MTSIF connectors are only for terrestrial/cable tuners.
    I'm only interested in satellite. DVB-S, S2, S2X tuners.
    Perhaps I could be mistaken.

FBC is confusing. Is that a type of port specifically for full band capture tuners. Or as hinted in the OBH forums from a search.

“fbc style” “pcie style” connection).

Would the fbc label actuallly be a pcie port? Standardized as in pc's. Where a third party tuner could also be used.
    Or is it a proprietary VU+ connector and pinouts?

They label their tuners. And Abu, you mentioned the Ultimo 4k which is what caught my eye. And the fact that it can blindscan.
    But with what tuner ("Of my choice"). And how well would it perform versus another in a comparative test?
    And of course. If in the test. What tuner/demod. chip is in them?
    A screenshot of the webif Box info tells all.

Perhaps Broadcom STB chipsets are outdated. Rumored that they are getting out of the FTA market.
    Octagon caught my interest as well as Gigablue.
    And TBS has been a very serious option.

• Official Post

It is not the receiver that facilitates the blindscan, it is the tuner. The new Vu tuners do not blind scan, the old tuners blind scan. The Ultimo 4K can accept the old tuner. Think of it like ISA and PCI slots on a motherboard. Just duck duck go the receiver images and compare the tuner slots.

You could always get a USB tuner. Sundtek's are the best supported. I am pretty sure they do blind scan, someone will have to confirm.

• It is not the receiver that facilitates the blindscan, it is the tuner. The new Vu tuners do not blind scan, the old tuners blind scan. The Ultimo 4K can accept the old tuner. Think of it like ISA and PCI slots on a motherboard. Just duck duck go the receiver images and compare the tuner slots.

You could always get a USB tuner. Sundtek's are the best supported. I am pretty sure they do blind scan, someone will have to confirm.

Oh. Some confusion. I thoroughly understand the tuner construction.
    The L-Band tuner that receives and discriminates the L.O. frequencies passes those signals to the demodulator (Avialink AVL6XXX for ex.).
    The tuner is controlled by the demodulator which is controlled by the MCU (Broadcom, etc.).

Let me do an analogy so we don't have a back and forth session.
    If you take the Edision Osmio4k. It has an Avialink AVL6261 demodulator in its soldered-in tuner module.
    And the receiver blindscans brilliantly.

Take the same receiver and if there was a way to put the horribly advertised and "blindscan" capable Zgemma H7.xx variety with the demod. it has and pyt it in the mio. Even with the correct .ko modules.
    It ain't gonna' scan.

But if you are hinting that no VU+ receiver with the plethora of plug in tuners out there do poor jobs of blindscanning for feed hunting, etc.
    Screw it then. Because here. You cannot rely on satellite charts and .xml generators or Lyngsat for the latest transponder finds.

• Official Post

The only recent Vu+ that will do blindscan with a PnP tuner is the Ultimo 4K using the old tuners. Old tuners = those that fit in a solo se, Uno, Duo 2, Ultimo.

That is just a repeat of what was posted earlier.

I think the question you wanted to ask is:

Which receivers with PnP/on board tuners do blindscan well.

Some receivers have a manufacturer supplied blindscan binary.

I have nothing else to add. Good luck in your venture.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!