Alternative method to backup Linux Ubuntu / Debian Server in 5 Easy Steps.

There are 7 replies in this Thread which was already clicked 2,405 times. The last Post () by leroy123.

• From time to time you might want to make big changes to your server, changes that might involve risking server stability. You might also want try another Operating System (Switch from Debian to Ubuntu or vice versa) or upgrade from 32Bit OS to 64 Bit OS. Most of these tasks involve the risk of big downtime. I am going to outline a few simple steps to keep downtime to an absolute minimum no matter how big the Upgrade or problem. This Tutorial might seem a bit long winded but it is aimed at the complete novice.

Tools you will Need:

a)… hbcd-15.1-Restored-V1.0-dvd-proteus
    Make sure it is the restored edition, this edition includes all the commercial software that you don’t get with the official Hiren’s Boot DVD.

b)… Blank DVD

c)… USB Key or portable Hard Drive to store the Backup’s on. (I use 8GB USB Key)

Step 1 (Burning the DVD)

Within the folder you will find the “hbcd-15.1-Restored-V1.0-dvd-proteus.iso”. Insert your Blank DVD & burn this iso to a blank DVD with your favourite DVD burning software. (I use windows Disk burner included in Win7, Just right click on the file & click burn disk image) You now have your Hirens Boot DVD.

Step 2 (Creating the backup)

For this step you will need a keyboard, mouse & monitor connected to your Server.

a)… Put the DVD into your server & click CTR+ALT+DEL to restart Server

b)… Press F12 at boot logo Screen to select Boot Device (Might be different on different Systems)

c)… From Boot Device Menu Select CD\DVD Drive & hit enter (This will boot your server from the DVD)

d)… From the first screen, select Windows (Mini-XP, Mini7, MRI)

e).. From the next screen select Windows XP

f)… When the Mini XP OS loads, click on the Start button and HBCD

g)… From the HBCD select programs / Backup / Acronis / True image Home

h).. When Acronis True image Home loads, click Backup My Disks

i).. From the next screen, Select your Ubuntu / Debian hard drive

j).. From the new (Browse for location) window select where you want to store the backup, then in the File name box type a name for the Backup image. I usually use todays date followed by a description of the backup.
    e.g.(2012-07-05 Ubuntu 10.04 Oscam Cccam)

k).. Select Create new backup archive and click Next

That’s it, your Backup has started, it should take no more than 1-2 minutes.

Restoring the Backup (If or when the time comes)

Step 3 (Wiping the existing Linux Disk)

Follow Steps (a) through (f) from Step 2 above to start Hirens Boot CD then follow steps below

i).. From the HBCD select programs / Partition Boot MBR / Par4tition Wizard

ii).. From the Partition Wizard Window, right click on your Linux Disk and Select Delete all Partitions

iii).. Next click Apply up the top left and Close down Partition Wizard

Step 4 (Restoring Backup to Wiped Disk)

i).. From the HBCD select programs / Backup / Acronis / True image Home

ii).. When Acronis True image Home loads, click Recover My Disks

iii) Browse to the backup you want to restore and click OK

iv).. Click Next on this screen

v).. Select Recover whole disks and partitions and click Next

vi).. Select Disk 1 and make sure to select all partitions below it and click Next

vii).. I could not get a screenshot for the (Destination of Disk 1) step because I did not need to Restore my backup, but all you have to do is point out the drive that you wish to restore the backup to i.e. Your Linux Hard Drive.

That is the restore process started, again it should take no longer than 2 minutes.

Step 5 Reboot into restored Disk

1).. Remove the DVD
    2).. Unplug the USB Backup drive/Key
    3).. Click Start / Reboot

That’s it, your Linux System has been restored to the backed up image.

This procedure might seem pretty daunting the first time but It’s a 5 minute start to finish when you get the hang of it & it has saved my ass many times..

If you would prefer to print, here is a pdf version of this tutorial
    How to backup Linux Server in 5 Easy Steps Revised.pdf

Another Step you might add to this tutorial is creating a Boot Usb Stick from the DVD (The instructions are in the pdf file in the original torrent). Using a USB Stick rather than the Boot DVD means you have all the tools required & all the backups you need on the one device. I use an 8GB stick which allows me to store about 15 Server Backups along side the HBCD Software.

All your problems have been solved countless times before so try the search box before you post!!
    Please do not Request help by PM, use the main forum so Everyone can benefit from the answers.

• Great tut, and will come in handy. I am wanting to run 64bit (on 32 machine at the minute)
    Would it be a case of restoring the image to a 64bit machine and changing Oscam from there?

Would dyndns updater also be transferred?

• Nice tutorial ,very detailed .

I tried backing up my Ubuntu 12.04 server earlier but encountered an issue when restoring the image.
    When I select "Recover My Disks" to restore the image I backed up I get an error.
    It says "Failed to read from the sector 63 of the hard disk".
    The hard drive is good and the install is working well ,from googling the error I have encountered seems to be a bug in the Acronis software

Nice tutorial ,very detailed .

I tried backing up my Ubuntu 12.04 server earlier but encountered an issue when restoring the image.
    When I select "Recover My Disks" to restore the image I backed up I get an error.
    It says "Failed to read from the sector 63 of the hard disk".
    The hard drive is good and the install is working well ,from googling the error I have encountered seems to be a bug in the Acronis software

Im not sure if this is the problem but did you delete the partitions before restoring the backup?
    I remember having a few errors if there were partition tables on the drive.
    You can use partition wizard on the HBCD DVD to delete partitions in the same session an you restore the backup.

Also m8, when I originally wrote this tut I used HBCD-15.2-Restored-V.1.1-Proteus but I found bugs (One of which was with Acronis backup/restore) so I changed to HBCD 15.1 v1.0-Proteus
    The main thing I found with Acronis is that the backup must completes 100% without errors, I have had a few errors restoring backups that did not effect the OS image..

Glad it worked out for you in the end anyway m8..

All your problems have been solved countless times before so try the search box before you post!!
    Please do not Request help by PM, use the main forum so Everyone can benefit from the answers.

• Im not sure if this is the problem but did you delete the partitions before restoring the backup?
    I remember having a few errors if there were partition tables on the drive.
    You can use partition wizard on the HBCD DVD to delete partitions in the same session an you restore the backup.

Also m8, when I originally wrote this tut I used HBCD-15.2-Restored-V.1.1-Proteus but I found bugs (One of which was with Acronis backup/restore) so I changed to HBCD 15.1 v1.0-Proteus
    The main thing I found with Acronis is that the backup must completes 100% without errors, I have had a few errors restoring backups that did not effect the OS image..

Thanks thatfellow .
    I didnt delete the partition before restoring the backup .

I completed Step 2 (Creating the backup) and it worked correctly,I didnt get any errors .
    I get the error at stage (iv) of Step 4 (Restoring Backup to Wiped Disk) when I select the backup file so its not a destination drive error.

I got Ubuntu 12.04 server working well on the Fx170 using your superb tutorials m8
    http://linuxsat-support.com/li…-1-3-install-package.html
    I used the first half of that but used your "Automated Oscam only installer Script for Ubuntu x32/x64 tutorial "
    I also used Ten Below's Webmin tutorial and Master G's "How to install Omnikey readers on Linux PC tutorial" .
    All working well now .:thumbsup:

I ended up using a 20gb laptop drive in a usb case ,but I also tried an 8gb flash drive and that gave the same error with Acronis True Image so its not a drive error.

My main reason for backing up the server is if I want to add CCcam to it later on as I currently have Oscam only .
    Can a backup be restored to a different sized drive ?

• To update :
    I downloaded HBCD 15.1 v1.0-Proteus and this worked perfectly at backing up and restoring images .This incorporates Acronis True Image 2011.
    I previously had been using HBCD-15.1-Restored-V.2.0 which incorporates Acronis True Image 2012 and gave me the restoring sector 63 error.

• im getting"backup failed" when trying to back up to a usb stick sandisk 16gb, ive tried 3 sticks with the same results
    ive formated them in fat32
    its starts to create partition image then fails, the backups on 6gb so theres plenty of space
    i must be missing somthing as it lets me back up folders

• master G

Added the Label Article

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!