Windows installation(s)

There are 15 replies in this Thread which was already clicked 2,223 times. The last Post () by Banny.

• When you install windows from scratch, which apps do you always install first and which do you pickup as you go along?

Im curious, it could be in your interest to reply to this one...

I am not obligated, or connected to any particular brand, seller or retailer so any opinions given are not biased in anyway.
    Any information given is for hobby and research purposes only, and whilst every effort is made to ensure that all my responses are accurate, - Any action you may take based on my replies is done so at your own risk.
    Viewing Premium Channels or Media, without paying for them is illegal and if you do so, you do so at your own risk!

BpGgW.jpg

• Wireless card drivers for me i keep it on a usb stick

• There are some essentials such as Antivirus and anti spyware, I use Microsoft security essentials, and Spybot Search and destroy - drivers for my devices - Firefox - and of course I need the tools for this hobby, like WinSCP, CsStudio, DYNupdater and Dreambox Edit. FTP client filezilla - I also need a decent editor like notepad++, the windows live stuff. As a musician I need to install audacity and asio drivers, as well as sequencing software. For video viewing and editing I install the codec packs, windows media player classic and vlc, Anysoft Video Converter - compression tools like winrar and 7-zip, etc etc etc - could be here all day but I need lots of stuff !!! - there are many things I would pick up on the go as I need like easeus partition master, ext2fsd, word processing stuff, teamviewer, image editors - to name but a few. Everything I download is usually freeware - I don't generally use anything that is cracked or pirated, as there is usually a free alternative to a paid app.

Luckily I haven't needed to do a fresh install for a long time.

If I take a while to respond, you can see why.....

:red:

• Thankfully I left the dark side long ago and moved to Linux.

same same _
    although i still use a notepad with xp for Dream Edit to make channel lists - i couldn't get dream Edit to work properly with wine properly thus far ?

:rikjaard1:

78cm dish on tm2300 metal gear motor + 1m Orb with tm2300 + 1.8m Channel Master on H-H floor mount + 80cm ISS with TM2300 AND Inverto Black LNB,inverto Unicable QUDL 42 LNB,- Global invacom Dscc LNB,- Triax KA LNB, - Yuri LNBF C Band YLF-CDP16C

• I fresh install win about 10 times a week for pple, I would install win followed by open office program, vlc, manycam,firefox,and pdf reader.
    the rest is up to the customer.

• I always start by downloading uptodate drivers and win7 sp1 to my usb pen, then I would boot into Partedmagic and secure erase my ssd.
    Once win7 is installed, I would first install sp1, then the chipset drivers followed by my Graphics/network card drivers and other's.
    Then I would set win7 to how i like it, and start to download the updates, once all my updates are done, I would then install the programs I like to use and the ones I need.

• Ha good post, some interesting info...

For me, a windows reinstall is like an ordered ritual..

1.. AVG
    2.. ccleaner
    3.. Tune up utilities
    4.. TeamViewer
    5.. Firefox
    6.. I use Intel® Driver Update Utility to update all intel drivers
    7.. I use DriverPackSolution to update all system Drivers
    8.. VLC Player
    9.. WinRAR
    10.. MagicDisc
    11.. Open command Prompt here for Right click menu
    12.. Take ownership for Right click menu

Then all the boring stuff...

All your problems have been solved countless times before so try the search box before you post!!
    Please do not Request help by PM, use the main forum so Everyone can benefit from the answers.

• What im looking to do, is modify the windows 7 install so all the updates are down and the majority of the essentials pre-installed, and optimise the performance a little bit.

As this will be posted in a public forum, it will only be a trail version for you to add your own licence information, just like you can download from Microsoft (well Digitial River on behalf of Microsoft), again for this reason only Free Apps will be installed with it.

I know programs are a personal thing so its possible that not every program you use will be included.

I don't know if anyone else has done or does this, but personally as I only have a small SSD Drive, my Program File directories are installed on my larger metal drive. Im doing this as im hoping to upgrade the size of the SSD drive soon and its been months since I did this. (I will show people how to do this as part of the install, incase this is something they want to do).

Some people wonder why I do it this way, well the copy of Windows is universal, and can be used on any pc and rather than do a large ghost (if you backup using ghost you can merely backup your personal files), I will be using an untouched fresh image as my basis, so you have my assurances, that none of the files could have been amended by anyone else, unlike some of the custom versions that exist on the net today. I do have several other things on at the moment so please be patient :)

I will make a post at some point, for drivers you want me to include like Andy Rays wifi drivers. Im doing this anyway, so im just hoping others maybe able to put this in thier collection in case they need it at some point.

I am not obligated, or connected to any particular brand, seller or retailer so any opinions given are not biased in anyway.
    Any information given is for hobby and research purposes only, and whilst every effort is made to ensure that all my responses are accurate, - Any action you may take based on my replies is done so at your own risk.
    Viewing Premium Channels or Media, without paying for them is illegal and if you do so, you do so at your own risk!

BpGgW.jpg

• Hello Banny,

I think it's a good idea.
    A "universal windows" as an image if I understand.
    For drivers, there are so many different materials.

vu+ ultimo 4k- rotor stab 120 - openBH 10

Hello Banny,

I think it's a good idea.
    A "universal windows" as an image if I understand.
    For drivers, there are so many different materials.

Yep, if you were to make it universal so It would work straight off on any machine, your talking about 5GB compressed for drivers alone... As much as I love it and can't live without it, I HATE Windows...

I came across a few programs that can make a windows Installer DVD with all the updates incorporated. I also Downloaded a 32 in 1 USB installer with all versions & 32Bit/64Bit of 2000, XP, Vista & Win 7 on the one USB installer.. It was Huge though, about 10GB..

All your problems have been solved countless times before so try the search box before you post!!
    Please do not Request help by PM, use the main forum so Everyone can benefit from the answers.

• Im not going to include every driver, just the main ones

BpGgW.jpg

• I would suggest having a look at Microsoft's wim image format, imagex and sysprep to get you going with that :)

If you have a wsus server or access to one you can pump the updates into the image too !!!

Iain

ps there are gui's for imagex that make it far more palatable :)

pps you can install windows 8 to a usb key and it will run from that and load drivers in automatically for different systems it works for i.e. portable os ... very impressive !

• Thanks for that mate, I appreciate the input and im well aware of WAIK, Image X, and the various tools made by different people for easing the process.

People, Im not looking to make the absolute and only final solution, more of a quality of life solution, to get people back up and running with reasonable functionality. If when I have done that people want to add a few of thier own touches, I will try and help them do that.

BpGgW.jpg

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!