Is It Worth Buying A Gigablue HD800 SE?

There are 15 replies in this Thread which was already clicked 9,042 times. The last Post () by rogerthis.

• Hi guys, I'm a noob in this section, I'm in need of another HD receiver, for the past year I've been delighted with my GGGHD box purchased from our sponsors, however it's time to move on.

I've been looking at the Newdvb 800 HD and the Gigablue HD800 SE but which is better? They sound very similar to me in the sense of model number.

Can someone please advise, If I get a year out of it I'll be very happy.

Many thanks

• Pretty much the same box but both run hardware not too dissimilar from a DM800, I owned an GB800se and found it painfully slow at booting from cold just over 2 minutes although once up and running it was absolutely fine. As for the Newdvb 800 probably more supported images to choose from.

• both a new boxes with fast becoming popular with more and more images supporting them, As for myself I got a gigablue 800 hd for my grandad and to be honest I cant fault the box obviously not as quick as some of the vu+ boxes but for that price its a great piece of kit.

am thinking about getting one for bedroom but my mind is split on vu+ solo or gigablue - vu+ because Ive got vu+ duo and the misus knows how to use it lol to hell with trying to teach women new gagets lol

• In terms of actual chipset the GigaBlue 800SE has the slight edge in terms of speed (300 against 333MHz) and can also have the second DVB-C/T tuner added, we like the receiver BUT if I personally has to choose I would have to say the NewDVB 800 without doubt, inter-changable tuner module (DVB-S/S2 as standard), HDMI out, two rear USB ports and eSATA connection, option for internal 2.5" SATA HDD (no internal drive possible on the GB-SE) and the one that's just as important as most anything else, masses of third party image support, that's the one that makes the choice an easy one for me... Also personal opinion but they look fantastic with the nice black with silver trim design.

If you are looking for an Enigma2 based receiver that's single tuner, tried and tested and is generally used for actually watching TV and using with the general addons/plugins available then this model is very hard to beat... Sure it's a little old now in terms of processor power but unless you really want to do anything especially special with this other than watch TV then it's very hard to deny.

The choice though of course is yours at the end of the day, both nice receivers, one just makes more sense than the other in many respects. :)

• I've had both and all i can say is that in my opinion the Gigablue is a better box than the NewDVB 800HD.

At the end of the day the NewDVB is a Dreambox clone which ever way you look at it. Its well known some of the issues that peopl have had with clone boxes. I can't see why the NewDVB800 would be any different to any other clone. For this reason i would go for the Gigablue box.

Nano

• GB is OK, does all that it is supposed to. Some parts are better then others, but for the money you can't fault it

All it needs is more support, few images around, but for the last 3 months not much really is happening...

sebus

• GB is OK, does all that it is supposed to. Some parts are better then others, but for the money you can't fault it

All it needs is more support, few images around, but for the last 3 months not much really is happening...

sebus

Have a look at the images section for this receiver. Yes it isn't perfect, but the support certainly isn't dwindling.

TeamRed (and HDF mod)
    OpenAAF
    NeutrinoHD2
    ItalySat 2.0
    OpenMips
    SIF TeAm
    PB-Powerboard
    Persian Empire

A lot of these began supporting the GigaBlue within the last 3 months, and most of the images (TeamRed apart) are updated regularly.

I think you must have been hibernating, or maybe you are happy with the image you have so are not in need of looking for what is out there - which is quite a lot.

If I take a while to respond, you can see why.....

:red:

• for a Extra few pound buy your self Vu Solo from the satshop. best single tuner on the market

• The Vu+ Solo is a good box but why follow the rest of the sheep :haha:

I got my Gigablue to try it out and to be different and I've been really happy with it. I've now got it running SIF Koala E2 and its the dogs danglies. I've had mine about six months now and its one of the best budget boxes I've purchased up to yet

I've had a Vu+ Duo and various other DM boxes so i have something to compare it against, but to be honest for the money you can't beat it. The tuner is quite sensitive, it can bring in channels off 4w and 7w which is no mean feat on the 1m Gibby i have in the West Midlands.

Its basically one of those boxes thats cheap and well worth having a punt on, unless you want to follow the rest of the sheep and go for a Vu+, DM or DM Clone :haha:

The only bad thing i can find with this box is that it takes an age to install the image on it, although apparently this isn't the case with the Gigablue SE only the 800HD Solo.

Nano

• Wats the point buying a skoda when u can Buy a ferrari!!! Ive had gigablue 800se and the solo tick's every box for me!!!! £179 at the satshop bargain

• Even thought my friend i`m a big fan of dreamboxes,i would agree with the rest of the answering posts,and go for a vu+ solo.
    It`s a great piece of hardware with a fair price,and you will enjoy it .
    Regards

• I've had a DM for several years, but now I'm very happy with my gigablue SE with terrestrial tv, combo, it's amazing, easy to use, fast, powerfull working a lot of hours a day... I also think dreambox hasn't worried about the new needs of customers, not to talk about prices...

Wats the point buying a skoda when u can Buy a ferrari!!! Ive had gigablue 800se and the solo tick's every box for me!!!! £179 at the satshop bargain

Have you actually tried the Gigablue or are you making that analogy without having used the Gigablue?

Your also not likely to end up with a clone with the Gigablue, where as this is a distinct possibility with the Vu+ Solo or DM800. I'm not knocking you opinion as everyone has a right to their own thoughts about a particular receiver, but i can say one thing the Gigablue is definitely not Skoda and the Vu+ Isn't a Ferrari (unless you buy a clone - Pardon the pun).

I would say its more like comparing a Vauxhall against a Ford as they are both very good boxes.

Nano

• i to will say that GigaBlue box are fairly good boxes.
    Here i have tested both the Vu+ Solo and the GigaBlue SE with sat and cable/terresial tunner, and to tell you the truth i find the Gigablue more suitable to my needs, as i can have the terresial channels at same time, and for the Price it is a bargain. remembert the support is good on this box to, as now more and more teams are supporting this box. about the prossessor well they are totaly same as Vu+ solo.

• I thought id post this here as couldn't find anywhere else to post it -

As to how much support the Gigablue Quad will get and how popular it will only time will tell.

I am not obligated, or connected to any particular brand, seller or retailer so any opinions given are not biased in anyway.
    Any information given is for hobby and research purposes only, and whilst every effort is made to ensure that all my responses are accurate, - Any action you may take based on my replies is done so at your own risk.
    Viewing Premium Channels or Media, without paying for them is illegal and if you do so, you do so at your own risk!

BpGgW.jpg

• The Quad had been listed for sale on a few German online shops for €399. Availability for the end of the month.
    Really temped, have my Duo for over 2 years. Should be able to sell it to a friend fearly easy.

Really hope that they start making additional DVB-S2 tuner.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!