Newbie would like help

There are 3 replies in this Thread which was already clicked 533 times. The last Post () by cazuela.

• I am the proud but ignorant owner of a vu+ ultimo with a 2TB hard disc running Black Hole 1.7.5. I would be most grateful if some one could give me help with the following:

1. what exactly is an image?
    2. Is it possible to change the default media player to vlc, if so, how? I don't want to stream from my pc but able to play a greater variety of file types from the box hard drive.
    3. Is it possible to play programs from the multi 'tv catch-up services' such as BBC iplayer, if so, how?
    4. what variety of linux is used on the ultimo? I understand that Enigma 2 is an operating system and python is a programming language. Is this the case?

I thank the forum in anticipation

ssofuk

• Hi SsoFuk,

Ill try and answer as best i can! Perhaps someone else will fill in the blanks lol

1. what exactly is an image?
    The Image is i suppose Operating Platform/User Interface/Software/Application lol for recieving/operating the box! Probably easiest way to explain! without confusing!

These Vary from the Original (supplied by/through VU) and Modified Images by Various groups to provide something a little extra (one could say hack)

Main ones are:

BlackHole
    Vix
    AAF
    BlackPole
    VTI

These are mainly VU related as i have a VU but some cross onto other boxes and there are various other ones for say Dreambox e.t.c!

2. Is it possible to change the default media player to vlc, if so, how? I don't want to stream from my pc but able to play a greater variety of file types from the box hard drive.

Im not a 100% sure but i dont think so....this may be Image specific.....as some images allow certain changes and some not lol
    I think you can put VLC player on boxes and play your files though it in the Plugins section....but actually change the default i don't think so! There should be a media player of some sort
    that will play any file type.....just a case of digging and playing!

3. Is it possible to play programs from the multi 'tv catch-up services' such as BBC iplayer, if so, how?

I've seen BBC iplayer asked before and no-one confirms but no-one disproves but i dont think so! Some images offer Web Browser access but Iplayer doesnt work with these browsers so you cant go that way!
    TvCatchup (say an app like program) no joy/functionality like that on these boxes.....Yet!

(Look out for new Vu Duo2 that may offer more features due later this year!)

And we do have the pleasure of using a plugin called 1Channel (Provided by Subixonfire)
    Excellent plugin....loads of Movies and Tv shows....constantly evolving and updating! Oldies and New stuff.....worth a look! and Closest if not in a way better then Iplayer and TvCatchup (ChoiceWise)

4. what variety of linux is used on the ultimo? I understand that Enigma 2 is an operating system and python is a programming language. Is this the case?

Someone may state the exact details but in general

Linux is operating language/system
    Enigma2 is an application of sorts!
    Python and C++ are used in Enigma 2 and older Version 1 as coding languages

Bit of info taken off the net below!

1.3 What happened to Enigma 1?

Enigma 2 is a rewrite of Enigma 1 (or mere “Enigma”), which is another, older set-top box-oriented DVB viewer and DVR application. Without delving too much into historical details, it suffices to say that Dream Multimedia still ships many of the other Dreambox models with Enigma 1, and develops and maintains this “old” branch of Enigma, too. The DM 7025, however, was shipped with the all-new Enigma 2, and the upcoming DM 8000 is expected to be shipped with Enigma 2 as well.

The most striking difference between the two Enigmas is that Enigma 1 is a C++ application through-and-through whereas Enigma 2 only has a relatively compact C++ core for the lower level stuff and handles much of its internal logic in Python. For instance, in Enigma 2, the user interface logic and menu structures are all handled by Python modules and they could be completely rewritten by merely altering the Python code. In Enigma 1, similar changes would require altering the C++ code and recompiling the binary. In addition to that, Enigma 2 also includes a new plugin interface that allows writing plugins as Python modules. The old Enigma 1 only allowed binary plugins.

I do not know the original reasoning behind developing a new, rewritten version of Enigma, but apparently the old C++ codebase of Enigma 1 was somewhat messy and hard to maintain, and it does not handle multiple tuners and DVB multiplexes too gracefully. These points alone could explain the need for something new.

The Python-orientedness of Enigma 2 makes rapid development and changes in the user interface logic easier, and it should also make plugin development much more accessible to the end-users.

Hope that clears it up a bit Buddy!

:firework:

lssdalogo.png

"Don't Gain The World & Lose Your Soul, Wisdom Is Better Than Silver Or Gold"
    “Herb is the healing of a nation, alcohol is the destruction”

VU+ ULTIMO PVR Ready Linux Enigma2 Receiver Full HD 1080p

Download VUPlus Images and Enigma2 Team Support from Black Hole, OpenATV, OpenBH, Open Black Hole, OpenDroid, OpenESi, OpenHDF, OpenLD, OpenPLi, OpenSPA, OpenViX, Open Vision, PKT Hyperion, PurE2, SatDreamGR, VTi.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!