server help

There are 15 replies in this Thread which was already clicked 720 times. The last Post () by scooby71.

• Hi folks I,m trying to build an ubuntu server using 12.04lts but are having problems after I finish installing unbuntu ,looking at sites on how to install it then ask you to set up a static ip sddress,see eg. below but when i put in vi /etc/network/interfaces,it only brings up iface eth0 inet dhcp no address or anything so when I try to put it in manual I cannot save it,this is my first attempt trying to set up a server but its getting to be a pain ,when I log into with my password I can seen a dhcp address but when I try to log int putty it will not access it ,also when I,m installing unbuntu do I need an Ethernet cable connected at that stage or not,hope someone will try to help me move on ta

Configure The Network
    Because the Ubuntu installer has configured our system to get its network settings via DHCP, we have to change that now because a server should have a static IP address. Edit /etc/network/interfaces and adjust it to your needs (in this example setup I will use the IP address 192.168.0.100):

vi /etc/network/interfaces

# This file describes the network interfaces available on your system
    # and how to activate them. For more information, see interfaces(5).
    # The loopback network interface
    auto lo
    iface lo inet loopback
    # The primary network interface
    auto eth0
    iface eth0 inet static
    address 192.168.0.100
    netmask 255.255.255.0
    network 192.168.0.0
    broadcast 192.168.0.255
    gateway 192.168.0.1

• can you not log in with winscp and edit the file maually and then save ! i'm sure thats how i had to do it before !
    or just do it by ssh !

78cm dish on tm2300 metal gear motor + 1m Orb with tm2300 + 1.8m Channel Master on H-H floor mount + 80cm ISS with TM2300 AND Inverto Black LNB,inverto Unicable QUDL 42 LNB,- Global invacom Dscc LNB,- Triax KA LNB, - Yuri LNBF C Band YLF-CDP16C

• Is it possible to make the ip addy for your pc server static in your router settings??

This is a easier way to go about it bud if your router/hub has this option.

fI7WHhv.png

Please click on the "Like" :thumbup: button if you find the information and support posted on the forum helpful.

• You must be root to edit and change most settings !

78cm dish on tm2300 metal gear motor + 1m Orb with tm2300 + 1.8m Channel Master on H-H floor mount + 80cm ISS with TM2300 AND Inverto Black LNB,inverto Unicable QUDL 42 LNB,- Global invacom Dscc LNB,- Triax KA LNB, - Yuri LNBF C Band YLF-CDP16C

• Hi I,m installing unbuntu again but when it comes to username for account and I put root it comes up username you entered root is reserved by this system,please select a different one,what do I do now

• Hi update when I log in as my own username & password and then put in sudo -i it then comes up root@server1 then I enter my password and it says command not found, what do I do now

• When I connect to my ubuntu server I use putty, I login with the normal user then switch to root as you can see below

I only edited my username and server ip in that and as you can see im logged in as root
    Have you tried putty ? if not you can get it here > Download PuTTY - a free SSH and telnet client for Windows

• I just re-read your last post, please check if you actually have a password setup for root as you look to be logged in

Code
    root@server1
  • I think you are mixing two logins up here, the one you use to login when then machine boots and the login you are using over a telnet/ssh session (via putty).

When you server boots login using your 'normal' login details, connect to your linux based machine using putty then login using the sudo -i command.

I am not obligated, or connected to any particular brand, seller or retailer so any opinions given are not biased in anyway.
    Any information given is for hobby and research purposes only, and whilst every effort is made to ensure that all my responses are accurate, - Any action you may take based on my replies is done so at your own risk.
    Viewing Premium Channels or Media, without paying for them is illegal and if you do so, you do so at your own risk!

BpGgW.jpg

• just click network at top rignt of your server and edit connections /edit eth0 /ipv4/set to manual/click add/and put you settings in/click save/put your password in to confirm settings/ done.much easier

• Hi guys at last got it pass installing ubuntu now for the next bit I,m trying to install cccam this is the instruction on how to do it

On Line 12 you will see this

OWNER=share4u

You need to edit this to reflect the account name you used to install Ubuntu. I used cccam so mine will now look like this

OWNER=cccam

Repeat this step on the following files:

cccam_install_package/UbuntuInstall.sh
    cccam_install_package/LogCleanUp.sh

You should have done this three (3) times now. DO NOT EDIT ANY OTHER FILE OR IT WILL NOT WORK.
    Once edited place the folder cccam_install_package and the file UbuntuInstall.sh in the TMP folder, click on places computer then your drive, you will see /tmp/

what does it mean you have to do this 3 times also is this the correct way that i,m doing it
    OWNER=cccam (e.g )
    cccam_install_package/UbuntuInstall.sh
    cccam_install_package/LogCleanUp.sh
    chown $OWNER /tmp/cccam_install_package

if this is corrct the nest step is

Click applications, and then open Terminal.
    Type in:
    sudo –i
    It will ask you for your root password insert it now
    It will now display this:
    root@ubuntu:~#
    Type the following:
    chmod 755 /tmp/UbuntuInstall.sh
    /tmp/UbuntuInstall.sh

The installation will now begin. The script will ask you one question you need to select “Standalone” when it is complete the script will reboot Ubuntu for all other questions just press yes.

but when I put this in
    chmod 755 /tmp/UbuntuInstall.sh
    /tmp/UbuntuInstall.sh

it comes up no such file or directory found ,what am,i doing wrong yet again I need your help

• I've never liked those auto install packs I've always done it manually

ftp over CCcam, chmod it 755
    and the CCcam.cfg, chmod it 644
    then add CCcam to startup by editing the file rc.local which you will find in /etc

then afterwards you can add a CCcam check script if you want, all done in a few minutes, but that's only me ;-)

• hi still stuck what a surprise got a static ip address change password to root now trying to install cccam no luck ,the auto install pack says go to http://tinyurl.com/cds85qc but when id do this it says no such file or directory what am I doing wrong also any links on how to do it manually as I have tried this but still no luck

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!