need advice for hd box

There are 10 replies in this Thread which was already clicked 912 times. The last Post () by mrcooke.

• Ok, I would like to buy a HD satellite receiver. I'm not after a high tech one with loads of features. I want one with a decent looking/easy to use guide, produces a perfect hd picture, and the ability to record. Single tuner is fine (unless a double tuner for a little bit more expensive is available. Ideally, really dont want to be spending more than £70. £50 mark would be perfect.

I have been looking at the eaglebox, the ferguson ariva. I was hoping someone could advise me if these are any good and will do the job or of any others.

I would greatly appreciate any input and advice.

Thanks

• sat shop was actually the website i was looking at, even before i came across this forum!

but as i said above, i dont really know the difference between them or which ones are better etc etc

• personally i would save up and go for a decent box which is well supported like the vu solo im not sure about the 2 boxes u mentioned but most cheaper boxes are client only and spending a liittle more opens up alot more avenues which u will want to explore with. the old saying is you pay for what u get and its very true in this game .

• Based on my own experience, if recording function is what you need, then you might be disappointed with receivers at the very cheapest end of the market, although you can do basic recording and time shifting on the Eaglebox, it struggles with HD recordings. Also bear in mind that if you want a decent EPG then you might be better off spending a bit more on an enigma2 receiver - you will need to double your budget for one of these, but think about whether you might get a cheaper one, be disappointed and end up spending more in the long run. There is the Arriva 102e for 70 quid - seems to have good reviews but I would wait for someone else to comment on how it is for recording and time shifting.

If I take a while to respond, you can see why.....

:red:

• thanks folks.

i totally understand and agree with that your saying, usually i do go for the more expensive option, when i buy tech i usually go for mid+ range! but in this case.. i just wont have the time for at least another 11 months to do any tinkering and get the best out of a box.

recording function isnt a definite requirement, it would just be nice. i would even consider the arriva 202 for £79, but again, i dont know if its worth the extra etc. in regards to the tv guide, i basically want to to be hassle free i.e. doesnt take long to locate and tune in to whichever channel

***box f3 seems to be coming up in alot of my google searches too?

• Hi, i have test s..ky box s9..ect arriva ans fergusson arriva not good with protocol ccam ok with newcam clients , and i have test the saab titan 1 wicth is opticum firm

and my choice is for titan1 good recording on external usb or hdrive the hd picture ok and read automaticly uk card easy tu put the firmawaire directly fron th main web .

But if you can save money i go for vu solo from our sponsonr

• ***box f 3 is not bad for the money £50 its easy setup and menus for stations.i bought a ferguson ariva 3-4 weeks ago new update gives it lots of features like online music adult stations discovery station and more but i can not find a channel list for this online anywhere which is a disaster.

ps i have a blade 7000 £149 added an external hd and now have a great tv guide and records for me great.

• hi from ireland into satelite as a pass time, am a graphic designer and av engineer by trade can help any one stuck in these areas aswell .

found the fergusson 250 combo to work good with the hd channels much better than a dream box quailty might also depend n where your sub is coming from most off the time boxes get bad reps because of bad servers so try a mix of different boxes on different servers and you will find the one that works best for you

thanks

• I would like to think that most of us here have a local card so servers should not matter

• lads im after buying 3 ariva 150 and i must say their a great box but for one problem and for me its a stinker their is no up to date s--uk channel list anywhere their
    are lots of channel list for other boxes but notting for ariva 150, im just hoping the boxes get more popular and a few channel list come up, its a pity because their a
    really good box.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!