beginner's basic questions. HELP

There is 1 reply in this Thread which was already clicked 606 times. The last Post () by cazuela.

• Congratulations to all for your enthusiasm and helpful hints.
    I am a beginner and just started playing with my new Dreambox 500HD. I am totally confused about the various components of the firmware and software and how they could be upgraded without causing any major problems. I ahve been looking at all the forums and pretty well everywhere but I have not found an idiot's guide that clearly explained what is going on in the box.

I have the following setup
    Sim 2.1,
    SSL 83-ro,
    Peter Pan Neverland Image
    Image version experimental 2011-04-05,
    Enigma version ramiMaher-experimental,
    dvb module 2.6.18-74-dm500hd-20110309-ro.
    frontprocessor Vnone
    tuner BCM4505

My questions are:
    is Enigma part of the image so that if I upgrade Peter Pan or install another image I also upgrade Enigma?
    If I find an image such as PL1 that says for instance Enigma 3.2 and my Enigma is 2 can I sitll use that image on my box?
    Can I upgrade from SSL83 to SSL84 without changing the image also.
    Is there any order (SSL, Image, driver, bootloader etc.) in which one should do the upgrade?
    I read about drivers also conflicting with imge versions. How do I find out which drivers I have and how do I go about to change/upgrade them?
    What is the EMU (emulator? of what?)

As you can see I am totally confused and will very much appreciate some pointers from the experts on this board. Many thanks

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!