PC as a DVB receiver?

There are 4 replies in this Thread which was already clicked 779 times. The last Post () by musogeek.

• Hi all,

I'm interested in using a linux PC as a DVB receiver. I had assumed that getting this to work would be as simple as installing any one of the linux distros out there on a machine with a dvb card, making sure the kernal was built with whatever bits were needed, and then installing some other application on top of it!

On a scale of one to lots, how far off was I?

Any info or pointers would be appreciated?

Thanks,
    PJ

• There are lots of options to consider when setting up your PC as a DVB receiver. MythTV is an option for linux, and if you go for Windows, then there is 7MC (which is actually quite good imo as a PVR) or there are other apps, one which I used is Mediaportal, and there are also good apps for PVR functions such as '4therecord' which can work with mediaportal to act a s a kind of series link.

Basically, you have the right idea, but the most important thing is to make sure you have a system that is as quiet as possible, and secondly, up to the job. There is much on the subject of HTPCs on the net.

I tried this a few years ago, built a custom HTPC, and eventually came to the conclusion that PCs can do the job, but dedicated receivers tend to serve better, and ironically one of the reasons is because PCs can have too many configurations, and it is hard to be satisfied!

If I take a while to respond, you can see why.....

:red:

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!