Firmware Upgrade Improvements

There are 5 replies in this Thread which was already clicked 1,209 times. The last Post () by pjriest.

• Hi,

These boxes are getting better all the time but I've put together a short list of firmware improvements I would like to see:

Timers
    =====
    1. Support for weekly repeat timer.
    2. Ability to add start and end times instead of start time and duration.
    3. Additional Timer slots.
    4. Timer completion event added to go to standby or stay switched on.
    5. Ability to set the recording name and not just the default channel name/date/time default.
    6. Ability to set recording categories e.g. Film, Documentary etc.

Media Player
    =========
    Great addition to the boxes.
    1. Option to resume from the last viewed frame of the movie.

Tuner
    ====
    1. Ability to record from a channel and watch a recording via the media player like other single tuner boxes e.g. Dreambox DM800.
    2. Ability to record two channels via the same transponder at the same time like other single tuner boxes e.g. Dreambox DM800.

Network Apps
    ==========
    1. Additional network apps of particular interest would be an external EPG for Satellites with just the now and next schedule information that integrates with the Timers.

I would be very grateful if you guys could add to this and if anyone could pass this back to the Openbox/Slybox developers that would be fantastic.

• On that note -- does anyone out there know what language these firmwares are written in, whether or not there are PC emulators for developing them available and for that matter, where the actual source code is? If we want all the best features, perhaps distributing this info would be the fastest way of getting there.

• I think you have 2 Hopes one Bob the other No :snicker:

These boxes are closed source and unless the originators add the additions i think the chances of hacking/changing them are slim!

These are your typical WYSWYG type boxes, if you want to play around more there are more then enough options avaliable it just a case of costs!

I would pretty much guarantee if Openbox?Slybox did create a box with this type of functionality it would be a lot more in price then they currently are?
    with better/extra hardware to suit!

I remember reading that the EPG issue is specific to us in the UK and the dreaded sly.....i think other areas/sats can get a pretty standard EPG??

If you use these boxes as a simple/second alternative they won#t serve your wrong......if you want to play a bit more look at all the Enigma2 boxes out there!

But you never know.......

lssdalogo.png

"Don't Gain The World & Lose Your Soul, Wisdom Is Better Than Silver Or Gold"
    “Herb is the healing of a nation, alcohol is the destruction”

• okay, so that confuses me :)

There are 'alternative firmwares' available for them, right? (You don't have to look far to find them.. :) ).. so where is the source code for those?

I appreciate that the manufacturer may not 'officially' have released the firmware sources, but surely 'somehow' there are sources out there, right? Otherwise how are these alternative firmwares being released!?

Am I missing something fundamental?

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!