Debian or Ubuntu

There are 9 replies in this Thread which was already clicked 487 times. The last Post () by CapNCooK.

• Hi

Could anyone explain what the main differences are between Debian06 and Ubuntu 12.04 64bit, why you would choose one or the other for building a Linux server?. Appologies in advance if this is a "newb" question just can't seem to find those answers in this forum?. Been building Windows based machines for a very long time, bought a VU+ Duo about 18 months ago.

Thank you very much in advance BlessedYouth (silent "H")

• ive all wased used ubuntu as see more info on this dont think there is much between them thore know this duse not help that much but just whot i think

boxs im good with= all ***box,s all openbox,s amiko alien 2 & SHD-8900

• IMO Purely Cosmetic TBH! Both have Desktop and Sever options so Fancy Menu and Options or basic MSDOS/Linux like commands/prompt!

Desktop wise!

Ubuntu very flashy, glossy and easy to use like perhaps Win7 lol - Can be a bit of a drain on resources e.t.c on older Pc's / Lappys

Debian Very Basic, does what it needs to do....ideal for older Pc's/Desktops!

I tried both and stuck with Debain! Other user love Ubuntu! Horses for Course but perhaps make a choice dependant on your server spec?

lssdalogo.png

"Don't Gain The World & Lose Your Soul, Wisdom Is Better Than Silver Or Gold"
    “Herb is the healing of a nation, alcohol is the destruction”

• I have used both - Debian for me - easy to set up - don't need a GUI so it installs in no time over the network, and there are less issues with debian using omnikey readers from what i have read.

Best is to try both - see what you think.

If I take a while to respond, you can see why.....

:red:

• Hi

Thanks again for your prompt replies, Musogeek why did I not think of a dual boot machine?, such an obvious idea! :)

Thank you all BlessedYouth

• ubuntu was pure misery for me starting off! as a beginner i kept encountering problems even from auto install scripts. tried debian and it worked first time, thatd b my recommendation!

VU Duo VIX OE3.0

OSCAM 1.20-unstable_svn build #6059
    CCcam 2.1.3 server

• I have used both and both are great, currently running ubuntu latest the only reason i like this is the fact that you can insert a new CCcam.cfg without having to stop/restart CCcam like you do on debian, or that could just have been me. Anyway both very good

• Debian removed the non free firmware from it's kernel, which can be a bit of a pain on some systems, easily added to the root of a usb stick and installed from there when asked during setup.

Both really the same IMO.

• Ubuntu is based on debian, so technically spoken, both are the same.

--

I would defo recommend ubuntu, because its supported by a very large group of people.
    There's (almost) nothing that isn't explained in detail with screenshots, clear explanations etc, when searched for with google.

Debian suites also, but is mostly used by the bit more advanced user, knowing his way around in the shell etc.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!