Virgin Media to issue firmware update after Superhub slows to crawl

There are 9 replies in this Thread which was already clicked 1,645 times. The last Post () by steve67474.

• Fancy new kit FAIL

Exclusive Virgin Media cable customers who recently upgraded to the company's Superhub router/modem combo boxes to access its 30Mbit/s and above service are complaining about stability issues and slow connections with the new kit.
    Reg reader Adam told us that Virgin Media is offering only Netgear hardware, which provides what he described as an "inferior service".

Similarly, customers have been grumbling about the kit upgrades on VM forums.
    "The rock-steady 20Mbit/s I had before I upgraded to 30Mbit/s is gone," wrote a customer with the handle fatedsnowfox, who played around with the Superhub box's configuration to improve its connection rate.
    "It swings wildly from 9-15Mbit/s-ish, more so at peak times. At about 0200-0300 it'll /burst/ to 30Mbit/s. Up speeds vary from 1.05Mbit/s to 'Can't actually upload anything because the test **bleep**s out'."
    Fatedsnowfox went on to complain about Netgear's equipment ? which VM described as an "exclusive" and custom-made piece of hardware intended "to provide you with killer performance and wonderful ease of use" ? and said Virgin Media's tech support was yet to get in touch with a definitive fix.
    "I think that cupidity has bitten me here. The 30Mbit/s offer was too good to be true," said fatedsnowfox.
    At the start of February, Virgin Media began urging existing customers on its 20Mbit/s broadband service to splurge a one-off payment of ?30 to upgrade to its 30Mbit/s offering.

The company has stopped offering would-be punters the 20Mbit/s package, but existing customers do not have to upgrade to the new service as Virgin Media is keeping both bases running. Despite this, some customers unsurprisingly opted to upgrade their kit.
    Worse still, Virgin Media claimed that its 'XL' 20Mbit/s broadband offering had been "boosted by 50 per cent" in additional bandwidth without requiring extra fees.
    But complaints suggest that some cable customers aren't seeing the performance improvement, and instead are hit by a dip in speed ? especially at peak times.
    A Virgin Media spokesman told The Register that the company had no beef with the hardware, but admitted there was a "data throughput" issue hampering some customers who are using its Superhub modem/router.

"Whilst the vast majority of customers are unaffected, we are actively investigating reports of reduced performance under some configurations," he said. "Testing is under way, and we expect to resolve the issue by a firmware update which will be automatically pushed out to SuperHub users as soon as a fix has been confirmed."
    Virgin Media didn't say when the glitch would be fixed, but it's understood that the firmware update would be pushed out soon. ?

Any information provided on this site is not guaranteed in any way. Some articles may discuss topics that are illegal, so this information is provided for educational purposes only, your use of the content, downloads and files, or any part thereof, is made solely at your own risk and responsibility. Viewing Pay TV without a valid subscription is illegal. !! Linuxsat-Support.com cannot be held responsible for the content of any information stored or posted on this forum.

• still shite. I have just kicked the whole virgin package into touch I have had 50mb since april and had 4 "not so super" hubs and umpteen engineers even they say its a load of crap firmware release 27 woz supposed to be released and they stopped that one now 28 is "on its way" just signed with bt infinity.

• They are blaming the superhub for the issues but fact remains that there network has not the infrastructure and uplinks to support the current network capacity. All the time a not so super hub is being blamed it is giving them time to improve there own infrastructure.

new2

Dont forget to hit the thanks button!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:41_002:

Some articles may discuss topics that are illegal, so this information is provided for educational purposes only, your use of the content, downloads and files, or any part thereof, is made solely at your own risk and responsibility. Viewing Pay TV without a valid subscription is illegal. !! Linuxsat-Support.com cannot be held responsible for the content of any information stored or posted on this forum.

• i had major problems latley but i did buy a new router, i still have the old modem and i get 6000k a second download so cant complain... been with these when it was blueyonder/ telewest

RESPECT OTHER PEER, PUT ALWAYS A FTA CHANNEL WHEN YOU DON'T WATCH TV!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1438883374.png

• They are blaming the superhub for the issues but fact remains that there network has not the infrastructure and uplinks to support the current network capacity. All the time a not so super hub is being blamed it is giving them time to improve there own infrastructure.

new2

Yes, I agree with you on the fact that the infrastructure, in alot of areas, can't handle what's required of it. At the end of the day, though, the superhub is not really fit for purpose.
    I upgraded from 20 to 50 meg and was supplied with the hub, it was nothing but trouble from day 1. Max speed was 20 - 25 meg, port forwarding was hit and miss while wireless virtually unusable. I have 3 voip ata's and could not get them to operate reliably enough to make a call.
    Prior to the upgrade I had a modem connected to my WNDR 3700 router which worked faultlessly and always topped 20 meg with reliable voip services.
    I am now still with Virgin, and getting a steady 50 meg down and 5 meg up, all voip units run as they should do and wireless covers all my property in and out and have a faultless service -

How did I fix my problems and get back to my perfect service? Complained in writing to their media CEO, Nigel Burkett about the disgusting service I was getting and that I would migrate to Infinity if nothing was done soon.I had a return email the following day and within 4 days there was a bright shiney new VMNG 300 stand alone modem delivered by the postie. A phone call later and I was back on line with the service I was paying for - result.

Vu+ Solo, VIX 1.2 with CCcam2.2.1 - 1.2 Mtr Fibo gregorian, (53E - 58W). A couple of DM800's and a DM500 on a fixed 60cm dish

• glad you got resolved . not heard of them supplying modem only yet . would be the best way to be honest . some of my family use virgin in the uk and can't even sucessfully make a ***pe call to me in europe without dropouts

new2

Some articles may discuss topics that are illegal, so this information is provided for educational purposes only, your use of the content, downloads and files, or any part thereof, is made solely at your own risk and responsibility. Viewing Pay TV without a valid subscription is illegal. !! Linuxsat-Support.com cannot be held responsible for the content of any information stored or posted on this forum.

• glad you got resolved . not heard of them supplying modem only yet . would be the best way to be honest . some of my family use virgin in the uk and can't even sucessfully make a ***pe call to me in europe without dropouts

new2

They no longer supply modems only, mine was one of the older stock they supplied to 50 meg customers prior to the release of the 'super hub'.
    The evential release of the firmware upgrade R28 will allow, what is called, 'bridge mode'. This will allow, through the hub's setup menu, the modem function of the hub to be 'software seperated' from the router section. This has the benifit of being able to use the router of your choice, therefore greatly improving the service allowing greater flexibility for things like voip, ***pe and port forwarding among others. Should be a vast improvement.

Vu+ Solo, VIX 1.2 with CCcam2.2.1 - 1.2 Mtr Fibo gregorian, (53E - 58W). A couple of DM800's and a DM500 on a fixed 60cm dish

• Hub number 5 being delivered on tuesday and I am in my 30 day cancellation phase. Be glad to see the back of em. have had nothing but trouble dropouts all the time I have written to sheila burgess Director of customer relations but to be honest they have had all the chances I am prepared to give em. Infinity being delivered on 9th august. Although not as fast it is cheaper by the month as well.

• Steve,

Don't see why to be honest they can't supply modem only. Would be cheaper for them and give the customer freedom of choice as to which router. Oh yeah i do no why they don't !!! Because of piracy of their services and they want to keep tabs like

new2

• Woz promised a separate modem by one of their supervisors which was a load of tosh as all new installs now are using superhub. Old 50mb modems not available. The user forums on vermin media are full of people complaining about this hub. Even the engineers are slagging it off. This firmware has been a long time coming. I even asked if I could be part of the beta test for it. They ditched 27 and are now releasing 28 (supposedly) I will follow the forums to see what difference it makes just out of interest. Infinity say they can give me 29mb in my area (we shall see) but a slower reliable connection has to be better than what I have at mo.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!