DreamBoxUK Image DCHP not enabled

There are 8 replies in this Thread which was already clicked 1,353 times. The last Post () by cazuela.

• Ok I have a slight problem that I am hoping someone can help me with...

I have flashed my DM800 with the latest DreamBoxUK image (taken from this site)

The probem is that I do not have a remote control for the dm800 and by default the network settings are turned off on that image.

So......

Basically I have no way of communicating with the dm800. I was planning on using my android phone and downloading the dreambox remote app, but obviously this uses my lan to communicate with the dreambox.

Is there any way to set a static IP address (using a null modem cable perhaps?) or enable dhcp on the image I am using?

Hope this makes sense and thanks in advance for any suggestions offered.

Spodge

• Your best and probably only option is to get a remote, either a loan of one or you can buy one very cheap on ebay

Code
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BLACK-REMOTE-CONTROL-FOR-DREAMBOX-800-DM800-S-C-T-/271111102700?pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_Video_RemoteControls&hash=item3f1f7b20ec
  • Haha yeah I thought as much!

I'm actually configuring it for a friend and forgot to take the remote with me doh!

Was just looking for a quick way round it, but I guess the quickest solution is to go and get the remote! :-)

• if i remember right, dhcp is always enabled by default..

how did you go through the initial wizard without using a remote?

Mutant HD2400, Hades, 2xdvb-s2, 2xdvb-c
    Xtrend ET8500, Hades, 1xdvb-s2, 1xdvb-c
    Vu+ SoloSE, Hades, 1xdvb-s2 (out of action atm)
    Vu+ Zero, Hades, 1xdvb-s2
    Fixed 28.2e + 1mtr Orbital, Dark Motor, Inverto LNB

• I have got a remote now! But just to make it clear for you guys in case I haven't explained myself properly.....

My steps were as follows:-

- Power up DM800 whilst holding power button to get a DHCP address. This allows me to access the boot/image loader page.
    - Use the boot/image loader page to load this image 'dmuk-v212sim201robi62.nfi' (perhaps not taken from this site but still the latest DreamboxUK image I have found to date!).
    - Now once the image has been successfully loaded I lose communication (via the network) to my DM800.
    - I now have a problem because the network adapter is disabled on the above mentioned image but default and the only way (I know of) to activate it is using the remote control and enabling the network interface under the settings menu.

I have just confirmed that the network interface is disabled by default on the above mentioned image, as I have just changed this setting using the remote control.

I guess it may be that this version of the DreamboxUK image for some bizarre reason does not have the network adapter enabled by default...?

I thought that there may be some default management address configured but could not find it...?

Anyway I hope this clears up any confusion over the issues I was having and if anyone has any suggestions that might help other please feel free to post.

Regards,

Spodge

• that is a modded dbuk image (a backup by robi) .. not an original untouched image, it could well have a static ip asigned to it thus rendering it useless on your network.
    in which case now you have the remote just change the network settings to dhcp yourself.

if you used the original image youd have no probs like that as theres a wizard setup process before you even get to use the box.

Mutant HD2400, Hades, 2xdvb-s2, 2xdvb-c
    Xtrend ET8500, Hades, 1xdvb-s2, 1xdvb-c
    Vu+ SoloSE, Hades, 1xdvb-s2 (out of action atm)
    Vu+ Zero, Hades, 1xdvb-s2
    Fixed 28.2e + 1mtr Orbital, Dark Motor, Inverto LNB

• Thank you for the reply Rossi

Yes once I had the remote I was of course able to enable dhcp, or even set static address settings if I so desired.

As mentioned in my previous post, I did suspect that the image I was using was a modified version of the official DreamboxUK image, so thanks for clearing that up.

However even if I had used the official image I would still be in the same position (without a remote control), as I would have had no way of stepping through the wizard (unless I am missing something?).

Can you step through the setup wizard without a remote control...? I'm guessing not as the network adapter would not be configured at this point.

Unless the official image has a default management address and you can connect a computer directly to the box, and access a web interface that way....?

Or even use a null modem cable to connect to the box directly and perform some basic configuration tasks...?

Anyway thank you all for the comments. If anybody can add to this thread by adding a method of configuring the box without using a physical remote control please feel free! :-)

Regards,

Spodge

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!