Satelite Receiver NEEDED!

There are 17 replies in this Thread which was already clicked 1,469 times. The last Post () by musogeek.

• Hi there! I wonder if this forum is the correct one to place my question. I need to buy a device that should support the following:

- RF In & Out
    - CC Cam
    - Enigma
    - DTV (Digital Terrestrial Television)
    - LAN
    - HD
    - If HDMI is available is very welcome.

Any make model to suggest?

Friendly Regards

Evros Michael

• hi evro

get a linux enigma 2 box !! your in the right place for support and help there is loads of boxs to choose from best thing to do is have a read and narrow down the box you wont then ask again and if we can help ect we will. :firework:

woz

• If you are looking for a receiver that supports most of these features

Technomate Linux HD Receivers

have a look as our sponsor at the Technomate OE range. They do not yet support DTV, but with a bit of luck, this will be rectified in the future with driver updates so you could possibly use a USB tuner. All of your other requirements would be met by these receivers.

If I take a while to respond, you can see why.....

:red:

• hi,technomate tm5402 hd

sorry but not dtv

Rami the tm5402hd is NOT enigma mate !

If you are looking for a receiver that supports most of these features

Technomate Linux HD Receivers

have a look as our sponsor at the Technomate OE range. They do not yet support DTV, but with a bit of luck, this will be rectified in the future with driver updates so you could possibly use a USB tuner. All of your other requirements would be met by these receivers.

Get yourself a VU+ duo ! and add a usb terrestrial tuner ! Its a tried tested and well supported option to take imo !
    No RF out unfortunately ! You could always add a modulator for not alot £££ !

78cm dish on tm2300 metal gear motor + 1m Orb with tm2300 + 1.8m Channel Master on H-H floor mount + 80cm ISS with TM2300 AND Inverto Black LNB,inverto Unicable QUDL 42 LNB,- Global invacom Dscc LNB,- Triax KA LNB, - Yuri LNBF C Band YLF-CDP16C

• Buy a golden media or Amiko receiver! Dual boot spark and enigma2! Best of both worlds!
    Dont know about RF tho! But does everything else thats required!

• Is that a joke, or I being reading wrong reviews!

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

looks like you have been reading the wrong reviews

I dont do reviews but I do have one and it works excelent, its not as good as a VU+ or a Dreambox but for £139 you cant beat it. But if you have the cash solo2 for me

• Sorry i have to agree Dekelster, The Alien 2 was the biggest crock of s**t i ever had the displeasure of owning.

The images are flaky as anything and the hardware is cheap and nasty. My Alien 2 lasted 10 hours before the HDMI port failed on it. I can categorically say it was the worst satellite box i've ever had. if you like your box to freeze and green screen all the time then your onto a winner with the Alien 2.

Returning the box after it failed was also a mission and a half too. I had to get Paypal involved in the end because of their stupid returns procedure and the threats to refuse to refund my money unless i dropped the PayPal claim.

Just goes to show how good the receiver is and the main shop that sells them.

Avoid both of them at all costs.

Nano

• Where did you buy it from?? There are alot of clones kicking about thats why you should always but from a reputable supplier and as paypal was involved was it from an auction site?. I can only say how mine is working just now compared to my old technomate by no means am I saying this is the best box in the world, but it good value for money (unless you buy a fake) Why would one of the biggest independent satellite magazines give it a good review if it was pish??

• Never had an issue with my amiko alien, proper good box for the money and an excellent pic that's puts my ultimo image to shame.
    Plus there's quite a few teams developing images for it too which I'd say proves its not a bad box.
    I agree with the above post that there are a few clones about so be carefully where you buy from.
    Just shows that clones are normally made from popular receivers like the issue with vu clones.

• No it was purchased from the main approved retailer in the UK, the name i can't bring myself to say without getting angry, but he knows who he is. I used PayPal when paying for it as i do with every bit of Sat stuff i buy.

Everyone was saying how great his shop is which is all well and done until you have to return something. Definitely the most unprofessional place i've ever aver had the displeasure of dealing with. He also banned me from his pi**pot forum too. It was the first and last thing that i ever buy from that shop and there's no way i would ever recommend him to even my worst enemy.

It was definitely a 100% genuine box, which is why i think they aren't worth the steam off my p**s let alone the £150 i paid for it. I have had a lot of boxes in my time and in all honesty i only found the picture quality marginally better than my other boxes, but as i've said before, whats the use of a decent picture if the bloody thing won't stay up long enough to make use of it :oh:

I didn't think the Alien SHD8900 was that bad, but in my opinion the Alien 2 is a crock of s**t. It works fairly well in Spark, but Enigma2 is just a waste of time.

If i wanted a receiver with a plain user interface like Spark i wouldn't have purchased an Amiko Alien 2 i would have got a decent receiver like a Humax box. As it was i wanted one that used Enigma 2 not Spark and the Alien 2 wasn't upto the job.

If i could have removed Spark completely i would have done, but even that option is not there, which as far as i'm concerned doesn't make it a proper open source box as you have to put up with knowing that the crappy Spark system that i would never use is taking up most of the space in the flash memory.

Nano

• I had a vu+ duo receiver which kept turning off which came down to a faulty fan.
    The one thing I didn't do was to tell everyone I knew that vu+ were the worst receiver I had ever bought as it was a one off incident.
    I know of several people who own an amiko alien and we are all very happy with them, sure the enigma 2 images were a little buggy when the receivers were released but so has every new image when a receiver is launched that's why e2 is open source.
    I think that your being over harsh with your opinion of an alien and are far too one sided because of your only experience with one.

• Like all enigma boxes the Alien took a few months from release before good images became available, and in the absence of specific technical explanation of what you did not like about the box I must assume you had an early box and did not have the expertise to resolve a setup issue.

But that would be to miss the point about this box. It brings together DVD-S, DVD-T and webTV applications into a single modern box that meets current EU energy efficiency regulations and I am sure it will evolve into an indispensable consumer device. But we should remember that open source Linux boxes are a hobbists box and should expect a little tinkering before we have our ideal setup. Just think about the years that have passed to evolve some mipsel boxes to their current level of robustness.

I find my Alien a delight to use and look forward to releasing a set of generic plugins that run on both SH4 and mipsel boxes.

Can we please keep this forum at a factual level, especially when describing hardware. Statements full of expletives but devoid of facts do not assist readers to make informed choices.

• Fairly said jimux, I understand nano you don't like this box and your dispute with the retailer still hants you, but to help others make the decision I think we should stick more to the topic and be specific rather than ranting. From reading nano's and other people's experiences however I would probably nowadays spend a few more quid and avoid sh4 based receivers, although from my own experience with the Qbox Mini, I know you can tinker and get good out of them, albeit not as up to scratch as the mips based receivers (mainly due to support) I am sure there is a market for the Amiko Alien 2 for hobbyists who want a cheap box, and are willing to do much tinkering to get things as good as can be.

• Jimux i know what i'm doing with these boxes so saying that i don't have the technical expertise to resolve a setup issue is not the reason for me not getting on with the box. I may not be a software developer like yourself but i can resolve most issues on these boxes and if i can't i will ask someone that can go through it with me until it is resolved.

I had an Alien SHD-8900 which i was very happy with until it stopped working with tuner failure. I also have my nBox5800SX which although not an Amiko box, it still uses SH4 architecture and i have that working perfectly.

I also have my 2 Gigablues,and a TM-2T, all of which are working perfectly. i also hvae a TM800 which needs a nudge to start due to hardware issues, but when its up and running that one is fine also.

I tried every image that was available for the Alien2 at the time when the box was working 100%, every image had an issue which as far as i am concerned made the box fit for nothing. I also found all of the images very slow and unresponsive, which was very disappointing considering how good the spec of the box apparently was.

Certain images would also green screen if asking it to do the simplest thing like change channels quickly, things that a MIPS box would have managed with no issues. There was also issue with the box not accepting some images like the PKT one.

Also after about 10 hours use like i said the HDMI port failed and would not display a picture correctly if you set it up to anything higher than an output 576i

I can't go into the technicalities of why i had issue with the box now as thankfully i no longer have it.

As far as i'm concerned this box is only fit for hardcore enthusiasts due to its issues. This box would be a complete nightmare for a newbie which unfortunately due to its cheap price that's the type of people it attracts.

Whether the issues with the firmware will ever be sorted i don't know but i have no intention of ever again finding out. I would quite happily have another SHD-8900 but not an Alien 2. I was really pleased with the SHD-8900, i thought for a cheap box it wasn't bad and i had it running really well, so after that the Alien 2 was a very big disappointment.

Even though the SHD-8900 also failed after 3 months i would still consider buying another one as i thought it wasn't a bad box at all., i would even go as far as saying they are a good buy for the money. Its definitely a better box than the Alien 2. I honestly believe if they had used the same Chipset in the Alien 2 as they had on the SHD-8900 that the box would have been a winner.

Nano

• :beat_brick: going a bit off topic - it isn't an Amiko Alien 2 debate, the member wanted some tips about what receiver to buy - think he probably has enough input now so I think this thread has run its course!

Closed

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!