Cardsharing with Sat Broadband?

There are 17 replies in this Thread which was already clicked 1,817 times. The last Post () by Mee®kat.

• I am thinking of ditching my landline and adsl setup and going for a purely satellite Broadband setup.
    I want to ask if anyone is/has tried this and what problems have you found etc.

In reading the sat broadband tech' q+a there is a small lag (Latency) issue and does this affect general cardsharing?

• my brother is connected to my server via sat broadband, (lives in the sticks) and he gets 20mb (i was shocked) he has never had a problem, not even a glitch ;-)

i beg to differ ¬ i have used satellite broadband and LATENCY is an issue ! No good for online gaming or Card sharing !
    Ping times of 600ms
    Both satellite broadband users i know cant card share without glitching !

78cm dish on tm2300 metal gear motor + 1m Orb with tm2300 + 1.8m Channel Master on H-H floor mount + 80cm ISS with TM2300 AND Inverto Black LNB,inverto Unicable QUDL 42 LNB,- Global invacom Dscc LNB,- Triax KA LNB, - Yuri LNBF C Band YLF-CDP16C

• you are thinking of taking a very expensive route for your data if you want a good servive on adsl and dont mind paying a bit more id say try eclipse they are spot on

The opposite.
    Im in rural France and getting just over 1meg download for nearly 50Euero a month (inc phone line rental)
    I can get 20 meg via sat broadband for approx 30 Euro pm

• I am thinking of ditching my landline and adsl setup and going for a purely satellite Broadband setup.
    I want to ask if anyone is/has tried this and what problems have you found etc.

In reading the sat broadband tech' q+a there is a small lag (Latency) issue and does this affect general cardsharing?

did you go for this? i'm in the same boat can barely get 1mb dsl, no other options or upgrades available to me, but could get 20 mb satellite. Given the kids are growing up I might have no choice but to make the switch

• Tinner mate, please read the rules, paying attention to rule number 1.

Thanks

nano

• Thanks for that mate. With Sat broadband its not the data burst speeds that is the issue, its how fast the request takes. Latency speed has always been an issue with Sat Broadband. Sat broadband is great if you want to just download stuff or do day to day general surfing, but as has already been said if you want to use it for gaming or cardsharing its not ideal.

Nano

• Hi,

Was doing a bit of research on this and was checking with a guy who has satellite broadband. He ran a test on speedtest.net and is getting a download speed of about 3Gig, and a Ping rate of 22ms, which I think is excellent compared to any tests I have ran with standard broadband, Im getting 30Gig through Talktalk but have a Ping of 50ms odd... for latency it seems satellite broadband is far better?

Was doing a bit of research on this and was checking with a guy who has satellite broadband. He ran a test on speedtest.net and is getting a download speed of about 3Gig, and a Ping rate of 22ms, which I think is excellent compared to any tests I have ran with standard broadband, Im getting 30Gig through Talktalk but have a Ping of 50ms odd... for latency it seems satellite broadband is far better?

It depends on the satellite BB, If it is Satellite up & down, ping will be about 500-600ms, no good for CS.
    If it is phone line up & satellite down, ping will be around 300-400ms. This is manageable but not ideal.
    EDIT: Dont mind me, Im wrong, still 600ms or higher
    There is no way you have satellite BB with a ping of 22ms, the fastest round trip would be about 500ms. (Unless someone has cracked physics)

All your problems have been solved countless times before so try the search box before you post!!
    Please do not Request help by PM, use the main forum so Everyone can benefit from the answers.

• have satellite broadband here in n.ireland ,running at 10mb,,,,,,,,,,,,,have server running for family members,,,,,also im connected to a server as a client ,,,,,never had any issues,,,,,,,,also had great pleasure in telling bt where to stick there landline.

• Our sat broadband is quoting 800ms ping....sucks eh as i was trying to find a way to set it up here in Spain. crap phone system crap tv system. the phone system is none existent out in the country. Mobile signal is horrendous and no signal at all for Spanish TV. And to top it off we are about to loose most of Freesat.......... btw my mobile is at the moment giving 138ms ping

• I got a signal off the Spanish Mobile provider Mobistar when i was working near Dover the other week :lolz:

It usually bounces 2-3 bar on a clear day. Takes the mick when you can get a good signal when your 800 miles away from the Spanish border

Nano

• I got a signal off the Spanish Mobile provider Mobistar when i was working near Dover the other week :lolz:

It usually bounces 2-3 bar on a clear day. Takes the mick when you can get a good signal when your 800 miles away from the Spanish border

Nano

LOL i live in the middle of Andalucia and can't get 2 bar.........

• Hi,

I would love to see anyone getting 30gig LOL had to reply even though i know you meant MEG.

• Hi Guys. I too am on Sat broadband. Av Ping is 800mS, Down is 20M Up 3M. Am just thinking about setting up. Am I dead in the water before I begin?

Nano

I remember Movistar Spanish network when i lived in spain but i could never get it in france as i made the trip back and forth a few times for various things...

Cant understand that one tbh nano how its received in the south of england or were you joking.... major F**k up ...no wonder spain is in a mess financially lolz.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!