New reciever

There are 6 replies in this Thread which was already clicked 769 times. The last Post () by Dom1973.

• Hi All

New to this getting rid of my *** box which is just being used for free view. I am looking at getting a Linux reciever. Im hoping to get a twin receiver HD , with PVR for somewhere around 200 pounds. Is this feasible without looking at clones ? If so which one would be recommended ?

Thanks in advance,
    Dominic

• hi
    if you do a introduction post, then we know who u are and can speak with you.
    why help out strangers?
    we are a educated club of linux friends
    cheers
    el pirate

• Thanks for the heads up el pirate didnt mean to be rude or presumptuous . Will introduce myself in introduction forum.

Cheers Dom

• Hi All

New to this getting rid of my *** box which is just being used for free view. I am looking at getting a Linux reciever. Im hoping to get a twin receiver HD , with PVR for somewhere around 200 pounds. Is this feasible without looking at clones ? If so which one would be recommended ?

Thanks in advance,
    Dominic

I take it when you say Linux based you mean open embedded enigma 2 based receivers?
    for your budget
    Technomate TM-2T Enigma 2 Linux HD PVR Twin Tuner Satellite Receiver
    VU+ Duo Twin Tuner HD PVR DVB-S2 Enigma2 Satellite Receiver
    These are from the forum sponsor, world-of-satellite so if you send him a private message you will also get a fiver off.

I have had both of these receivers and they both are well up to the job - The Vu+ Duo is so cheap now, that the already unattractive option of buying a clone is even more unattractive - an besides you will find it hard to get support for a Vu+ clone.

Although the Technomate TM-2T OE is very close to your budget, remember you will also need either an external USB drive or internal 2.5" drive for your recordings. I would recommend an internal drive especially for the Technomate as they are still quite new on the block so you will find that getting an external drive to work is a bit hit and miss - The Vu+ Duo you will find will work with most things you chuck at it!

For cheaper than this - the only options are receivers that although are enigma2 based, lack support and have a different less supported chipset.
    Amiko Alien 2 HD twin tuner for example, you can get for £150 - but even the very mention of this sparks a big debate, so I would suggest you do your own research on this, but I would recommend using our sponsor, and they don't stock these, perhaps for a reason?

If I take a while to respond, you can see why.....

:red:

• Thanks for detailed reply much appreciated. Looking likely ill splash that little bit more on the VU + Double sounds the business. A local supplier is trying to flog me a SAB Unix Triple does anyone know anything about these ? Coming in at €180 here in Holland. Thanks

• SAB Unix Triple HD is very much like the Amiko Alien 2 - has SH4 architecture so again will have less support as mips based receiver like the technomate and Vu+

If I take a while to respond, you can see why.....

:red:

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!