Recommended HD Set-top box...?

There are 10 replies in this Thread which was already clicked 1,396 times. The last Post () by bokkie.

• Hi All,

I am trying to recommend a Set-top box for my friend and would appreciate some advice. His requirements as as follows...

- Dual HD tuner (i.e. two in feeds).
    - The ability to record programs.
    - HDMI input capable of carrying 5.1 DSS.
    - Cross EPG (that auto updates).
    - Preferrably an Enigma2 compatible model, so I can provide support.

I am looking for the cheapest possible option without sacrificing too much on quality. So far I have been looking at the below mention models, but not 100% sure if they tick all the boxes...

DM800 se
    Vue Duo+
    Vue Solo2

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Cheers,

Spodge

• for the £50 difference from duo to solo2 i would go solo2 route!

Muso speaks highly of the technomate in the same price range also!

Do you want the Mazda or the Vw ...both good some people will praise either or

lssdalogo.png

"Don't Gain The World & Lose Your Soul, Wisdom Is Better Than Silver Or Gold"
    “Herb is the healing of a nation, alcohol is the destruction”

• Take a look at the Technomate TM-2T here Technomate TM-2T Enigma 2 Linux HD PVR Twin Tuner Satellite Receiver

Broadcom MIPS powered, Twin tuner.

world-of-satellite-banner.gif
    Official Sponsor of the OpenViX Team

Official Distributor of Formuler, Edision, GiGaBlue, Mut@nt Technomate, VU+, and many more...

Secure online ordering - Paypal and all major cards accepted - Order online 7 days a week!

PRICE MATCH PROMISE - WE'LL TRY TO MATCH ANY UK PRICE*

*SEEN ANY PRODUCT CHEAPER? CONTACT US AND WE’LL TRY TO MATCH LIKE FOR LIKE!

• I've bought a gigablue quad recently and I must say this is a pleasure to use, a superior box wit a superfast processor (1.3 GHz) and 1 GB memory. Top class receiver.

Sent from my V972 Core4 using Tapatalk HD

• I've had the Technomate TM-2T and rate it highly. Its still a fairly new box on the market, but the software stability impressed me considering how short a time the box has been available. There are also plenty of images available for it with many of the bigger image teams getting on board.

I would recommend you avoid the Alien 2 though as in my opinion its too buggy, it can't run with CCCam and only has limited memory in flash due to most of it being taken up by the crappy Spark firmware. Don't be taken in by its cheap price tag.

Nano

• Haha nano you really dont like the Alien2 do you, I would have one ever day of the week HD Picture about the best i have seen, It can be buggy like any linux box if not set up correct, dont take my word tho have a look at what it can do.
    Amiko Alien2 HDMU Image - YouTube
    But as nano said the TM-2T is a cracking box loads of support and growing by the day, all depends on what you want to spend.

• No i don't like the Alien 2 box one little bit. I couldn't tell if the picture was any better as the HDMI output packed up a few weeks after i had it. It was buggy, slow and to be honest the worst experience i've ever had with an Enigma2 box. Things may have improved in the last 3 months since i sent mine back, but to be honest i have no intention of ever buying another one to find out.

Its not a proper E2 box and never will be as far as i am concerned, in much the same way as my TM800 or nBox units will never be proper E2 boxes.

The worst thing Amiko/Fulan did was not enable you to get rid of the shitty Spark firmware. The box may have been better if E2 had more flash memory available to it. I've never seen the point of having two operating systems on a box, let alone one that is not open source which tales up nearly two thirds of the flash memory.

Nano

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!