Alien2 + Enigma2 = Unresponsive remote??

There are 16 replies in this Thread which was already clicked 5,645 times. The last Post () by bjornc.

• Hello Folks,

I'm kinda new at the whole Linux box stuff and so on.
    But i've managed to put a Enigma2 image on my Alien2.

However, i noticed that the remote is very unresponsive with the image.
    So, i tried a different image. Same story. (Tried OR, HDMU, Satbox4all, PKTeam)
    I almost have to push the remote through the box to get a response.
    I'm running a HDMU image right now.

Under Spark, no problems at all.

Am i missing an option/setting?

Thanks in advance!

EDIT:

Just to be clear; I have the same problem with both the original remote, and my Logitech Harmony.

• This is just comical that you have to do a modification like this to what is apparently supposed to be an Enigma 2 box. This box gets more comical every day :10lol:

• Well i also have the same problem with my Logitech Harmony.
    And that remote has some quite powerfull infrared emitters.

nano; really helpfull....

• I've had an Alien 2 and i can categorically state it was the worst box i've ever had the misfortune to own. I'm sorry i have a hatred for this box and its flaky firmware I don't think the issue is with the remote, its with the box. The tin foil trick is just covering over the cracks, its not fixing the problem.

I've had an Alien SHD-8900 and an Alien 2. Both had the same remote. No issues on the SHD-8900 with either remote, I had the same problem with the Alien 2 as what you are having, so i am speaking from experience. I'm just glad i managed to send the pile of crap back to the seller and get my money back.

Just goes to show how bad the Alien 2 box is, Its a train wreck waiting to happen. Sorry to be brutal with the truth, but thats just the way it is. If you want a proper Enigma Linux based box that doesn't have the issues the Alien 2 has it has to have a MIPS CPU, not an SH4 one.

I have two receivers with SH4 chipsets, and neither are anywhere near to being close to my MIPS boxes for usability and function, and i doubt they ever will be. Unfortunately Enigma2 was written for MIPS, not SH4. To run on SH4 Enigma 2 has to be patched and modified, each fix causes a new set of problems which just make the firmware unstable in a different place. Thats why the boxes work well in Spark and are horrendous with Enigma. Spark was written from the ground up to work for the receiver, Enigma wasn't.

• My remote works fine. I did have really bad lag but I think the tuners might have been set up incorrectly and/or my external hard drive was not set up correctly (sorry, memory a bit crap). When you get it working the remote should be slightly (almost unnoticeably) slower than Spark. I have noticed that the skins slow it down a bit too, especially when switching from terrestrial channels, so I use the default skin. I found Satstation image useless with terrestrial channels, but HDMU handles them perfectly.

• Nonsense. Box works fine. A bad workman…

• Nonsense. Box works fine. A bad workman…

:10lol: Your previous posts state otherwise.

Ever heard the saying you can't polish a turd. You can polish it as much as you like, but at the end of the day its still a turd.

All my other current Linux boxes and the other fifty or so i have had in the past ( I like to play with boxes, not just watch TV on them) say otherwise my friend :trbtjrjq:

• Well, i reckon i've got to stick with Spark. Works fine.
    However i'd like to be able to tinker with the box a bit, and for that i need Enigma.
    I'm confident that sometime in the future, there will be a stable enigma for the SH4 boxes.
    Until then, i'll be patient.

• Well, i reckon i've got to stick with Spark. Works fine.
    However i'd like to be able to tinker with the box a bit, and for that i need Enigma.
    I'm confident that sometime in the future, there will be a stable enigma for the SH4 boxes.
    Until then, i'll be patient.

Have you tried loading Scooterbunk's HDMU backup image? All the plugins etc are set up. Trust me, when you will see how good it looks and how well it works you will not be interested in Spark. The only modifications I made to SB backup image was install HDDmanager to easily mount my HDD, and I made my own list of favourites with the remote (didn't bother with dreambox edit). Setup only took about twenty minutes and everything works perfectly. One thing - my box said Error when it had finished loading the image, but when I rebooted everything was fine.

Also, google Pogmothoin's set up guide - he runs through basic setup.

• :10lol: Your previous posts state otherwise.

Ever heard the saying you can't polish a turd. You can polish it as much as you like, but at the end of the day its still a turd.

All my other current Linux boxes and the other fifty or so i have had in the past ( I like to play with boxes, not just watch TV on them) say otherwise my friend :trbtjrjq:

I had problems setting it up in the beginning, but I think I would have had most of those problems with any box running E2. I used Spark while I was getting used to setting it up, so I'm glad I had it to fall back on. I've never owned any other linux boxes so can't compare, but the Alien works perfectly for my purposes. Sorry for rude/flippant post earlier. You'd know more than me about these boxes than me.

• If you had used a MIPS CPU based box first i should imagine you would have the same thoughts as me. I can normally set an Enigma2 receiver from scratch to working as i want in about 30 minutes or so. This has been the case with all my receivers including the Alien SHD-8900 and both of my nBox receivers all of which are SH4 type boxes.

I've set both of my nBox units up with OSCam and a working EPG and haven't had to touch either again, they work perfectly for just watching and recording TV. I wouldn't expect much more of them, the same goes for my TM800 box which isn't a proper MIPS box either. My MIPS based Gigablues are used for totally different things to the nBoxes. My 800SE is the box i play with, its the one that i try different images on and different plugins all of the time. There are fantastic images available for it, from SIF, OpenAAf, OpenMips, OpenRSi Powerboard, VTI, Zebradem and VIX, there is a lot more support for this box than the Alien2, this speaks volumes.

My older Gigablue 800 Solo is the box i Beta test OpenVix 3.0 on, its never given me any major problems other than the odd glitch that is sorted out in the next beta build before being made public. I install the image and test it but to be totally honest there is never usually anything to report as its usually seamless and works first time regardless of what i throw at it.

I'm not having a dig at you directly, i just don't want people to get sucked into buying one of these Alien 2 boxes which in my opinion are sub standard and too glitchy to be considered as an everyday box. The cheap price and apparently high spec is often what sucks people in. I never got on with the box or any of the available firmware which is what i would have said was still in alpha stage never mind beta stage.

My nBox 5800sx cost me less than £100 and i can honestly say hands down that its a better and more reliable box than the Alien2. In my opinion it also looks better too :still_dreaming:

My nBox's are still not a patch on my Gigablue but i think in all honesty its a better box hands down when compared to the Alien 2.

I hope that one day that the Enigma2 firmware will be sorted out so the people who already have one can at least get a good working box, but to be honest I think its going to have a short life expectancy like the TM800 had as at a guess once everyone figures out that the issues with Enigma 2 and the STi 7162 CPU cannot be resolved support will dry up very quickly just like it did with the TM800. Its just fortunate that the box has Spark to fall back on which does seam to work as it should, although this just makes it no better than a glorified Openbox.

Thats my take on it anyway. I'm sure there are those that will disagree with me and others that will agree with me, either way its upto the prospective buyer to decide if they want an Alien 2 or another Enigma 2 box.

• Have you tried loading Scooterbunk's HDMU backup image? All the plugins etc are set up. Trust me, when you will see how good it looks and how well it works you will not be interested in Spark. The only modifications I made to SB backup image was install HDDmanager to easily mount my HDD, and I made my own list of favourites with the remote (didn't bother with dreambox edit). Setup only took about twenty minutes and everything works perfectly. One thing - my box said Error when it had finished loading the image, but when I rebooted everything was fine.

Also, google Pogmothoin's set up guide - he runs through basic setup.

Thanks, i'll look into that.

• This is just comical that you have to do a modification like this to what is apparently supposed to be an Enigma 2 box. This box gets more comical every day :10lol:

Nano, give up with your trolling. If you don't like the box just stay out of the discussions as you offer nothing to them.

OP, you can change all eps values to 45 in /etc/lircd.conf. Mine is much more responsive now

• Now that's useful info!
    Will change those values as soon as possible.

• I tried setting this thing up from scratch and wasted a lot of time. After weeks of pricking around I loaded Scooterbunks image and - voila! - I finally discovered what E2 is all about.

Good luck!

• Nano, give up with your trolling. If you don't like the box just stay out of the discussions as you offer nothing to them.

OP, you can change all eps values to 45 in /etc/lircd.conf. Mine is much more responsive now

Fantastic, i changed it to 45, it improved radically. But still not responsive enough for me. Then changed to 50, and now works like a charm.

Spark STI 7162 Support

Support for Amiko Alien 2, Delta, Dynavision 7162, Galaxy Innovations Avatar 2, Galaxy Innovations Avatar 3, Golden Media Spark Triplex, Golden Media Spark One, Icecrypt S3700 CHD, SAB Unix Triple HD, Samsat Linux 2, Satcom 7162, Sogno Spark Triple, Startrack SRT 2020 HD Plus, Superbox Z500, Truman TOP-BOX, Truman TopBox 2 Tuner, Visionnet Falcon, Spark STI 7162 Receivers.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!